Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Wet Wolf's Avatar

Re: Has it been asked? How to become a pwc/boat mechanic

If you make what you like to do as a hobby your job, then you dont have a hobby any more, just a job. There is no money or glory in being a pwc mechanic anymore. Just drudgery and fixing motors that shouldn't be on the water in the 1st place.

Bruce Wolford (509) 280-5444 - Pump Performance
    http://www.wetwolf.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
    I understand the sentiment. But believe me, boats are something the average person doesn't have a clue about. It's unreal the **** people dream up when it comes to repairing or even maintaining their boats. In the average marina, HALF the customers are idiots.
    to true , you try explaining to some tight a$$ "" idiot "" ,that the $60 water pump impeller that i told him to replace during service ""but"" he(the tight a$$) thought i was trying to load up a job as the impeller replacement was not due till next service ,6 or so weeks later, caused 4k+ damage to his outboard motor when it cooked ,apparently it was my fault that he continued to drive the boat in shallow sand bottom water with a barely pumping water pump , now' i am no expert on this (because i am not certified)"but" sand + sea water V a plastic/rubber impeller cant be something i can control ,>forward>a mate took the job to repair this "idiots" motor , stripped it down and found water jackets clogged with sand and seashell , this was also "apparently " my fault as well (because i am not certified xxxxxxx workshop),FWIW, my mate is also not a certified xxxxxxx workshop , i cant see this ending well for him ;wallbang:, i wont go into what people with late model couches come up with when shyt fails shortly after service ,,OP:take some good advice , like i posted, go work in someone else`s shop and see what IDIOTS you have to deal with before going into this game for a living ...
    Last edited by hyosung; 03-12-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
    I understand the sentiment. But believe me, boats are something the average person doesn't have a clue about. It's unreal the **** people dream up when it comes to repairing or even maintaining their boats. In the average marina, HALF the customers are idiots.
    Its all the same, I've seen it with ,motorcycles, Cars, lawn mowers and now aviation. Hell, some here think a 122mm pump is better than a 144mm.

Of course it is!!!! Is cheaper cuz' it's smaller.
    (what uses a 122, beside my girls pu$$y pump?)
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Yeah +1
    I work in the motorcycle industry as a parts interpreter.
    It never ceases to astonish me the depth of human stupidity. I have some great stories from customers.

You get the guys who think they know best (its a 250.. all sparkplugs are the same....
    Always amusing to see the wind taken out of their sales when I open the NGK catalog to honda and slide it across the table)

I always dread the girlfriend/wife being sent in to buy a part. Frustrating for everyone.

And the chinese motorcycle guys... well lets not go there

Wiseguy answer- buy a JS550 with BN44 carb on it. When that is reliable, or You give up and move to 650/750 or SJ and make those reliable, You are a mechanic!

Real answer- There's alot of good advice already posted, I'll let you decide whats good/bad. The only thing I would add, is don't underestimate the "people" factor of this. I was a people person, friendly, etc... Then I drove a towtruck for a bit over 10 years. I am now (happily) a hermit, avoiding people as much as possible. They suck.

If you really want to try, more power to You. Find a place with a garage to minimize your overhead, put a few ads on CL and give it a try. Worst case, You still have a garage if it doesnt work out. I would also do buy/sell/trades and flip as many as possible, get more people thru the door.

Good luck!
    Those who will beat their swords into plows, will plow for those who do not.

I got 99 sockets but a 10mm aint one

Quote Originally Posted by rock_smasher View Post
    I am now (happily) a hermit, avoiding people as much as possible. They suck.
    See, its all the same even in the towtruck business.

Your expectations are too high for people. Always assume everyone is stupid until proven different.
    I feel ya on the "hermit" but thats the easy way out.

People suck. They get dumber every day. The world is about entitlement. Everyone feels that we owe them something.

Good luck dude.
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

Agreed.... I work in auto recycling and the customers that come in and on the phone for used parts are brutal!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Quote Originally Posted by spenaroo View Post
    Yeah +1
    I work in the motorcycle industry as a parts interpreter.
    It never ceases to astonish me the depth of human stupidity. I have some great stories from customers.

You get the guys who think they know best (its a 250.. all sparkplugs are the same....
    Always amusing to see the wind taken out of their sales when I open the NGK catalog to honda and slide it across the table)

I always dread the girlfriend/wife being sent in to buy a part. Frustrating for everyone.

And the chinese motorcycle guys... well lets not go there
    You just described my entire experience of being a parts guy while I employed by Parts America(formerly Western Auto, now Advance Auto Parts) back in the late 90's. This same customer attitude was held by my customers when I changed employers and worked for a local powersports stealership for about 8 months.

Two of my favorite customer quotes:

1. "Come on maaaan, hook a brutha up! I just need ONE brake pad! What do you mean I have to buy a set of brake pads?! Didn't you hear me? I just need ONE brake pad!"

2. Me: "What can I get for you today?"
    Customer: "I need a starter, man"
    Me: "Year, make, model, engine sir?"
    Customer: "1985 Cutlass Supreme 'Bro-HAM' wit a TREE-FIDDY"
    Me: "You have a Buick/Pontiac/Olds (BPO) 307 motor sir. If the engine is original of course."
    Customer: "Yo man, I told you it's a TREE-FIDDY!"
    Me: "Do you have the starter with you?"
    Customer: "Naw maaan, I'm changing it out in the parking lot. Can you come look at it?"
    Me(Outside): "Yup, it's a 307, I can tell by the shape of the valve covers........And it doesn't appear that you need a starter as I can see that your fusible links are burnt out near your exhaust pipe. You don't even have dash lights, do you?"
    Customer: "Maaan, you so right, you work on cars on the side? I got a buddy who told me I needed a starter, but I don't trust 'em now, I've already given them $200 to tell me..........

And on, and on, and on, and on..............................................

Just in case you think I'm picking on one particular type of customer, I'm not. I dealt with self-important, hyper-inflated ego types who couldn't be bothered with changing their own windshield wipers to the clueless soccer mom just trying to fix a broken turn signal bulb and everything else in between. I had a women roll in with a Jeep Grand Cherokee when I first started working at Parts America that wanted to know why her new 22" Dubs wheels were rattling. Turns out that under the center wheel cover, 4 out of the 5 lug nuts AND STUDS had snapped off and were causing the noise. I directed her to return to the shop that installed the wheels and demand that they fix it since they OVERTORQUED them. I had more people than I can remember come and ask me why their engine was rattling or clicking and were shocked to find out that they had near zero oil in the crankcase. Here's your sign......

The worst people I dealt with were the ones who just couldn't wrap their head around the idea that they had received incorrect or bad information from a "trusted" source/mechanic/buddy/dad/brother who was just trying to help..........

Sorry, didn't mean to thread hi-jack, but IMHO, being able to deal with all different types of people is central to becoming a competent, respected, and knowledgeable mechanic in any field.
    Last edited by SpitAndDirt; 03-28-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #1
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #2
    99XPL Runs like it's possessed! :

02RX Current project in-work, ready to be assembled.
    A BIG THANKS to Bill O' and Chris at Watercraft Magic for putting together an excellent re-jetting and Prok filter kit for the XPL.
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information