Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Honda Jetski ECU

Hey I am looking for someone who has a broken Honda jetski ecu. Below are a list of things I would like to accomplish.

I know these ecu's have a problem with the code 25 knock sensor. I'll like to strip a couple of these down and troubleshoot this issue and hopefully find a solution and option.

- How common is this problem?
    - What year/model are affected?
    - What ecu part number has this problem?
    - Have any been repaired?
    - Does the dealer offer a fix for this issue?

Next I want to look into a process to Remap the ecu giving the user the ability to change the firmware to modify the tune. I have access to the proprietary programming protocols for the processor installed inside the ecu but I need a way to extract the firmware. I designed and develop programming hardware to read and write to the ecu but the firmware is locked so the data I read is invalid. I know the older ecu's communicate on a K-line bus and the newer ones should be on CANbus.

- Does the dealer offer any updates for this ecu?
    - Has anyone taken there ski to have the dealer reprogram the ecu for recalls?
    - Is a tune offered publicly and is it proven to work?
    - Any end user options available besides using a standalone or piggyback?

Please I am looking for creditable information and for someone with great experience with the Honda ski's

I'm a lone developer that just got bored and would like to invest some time into this market. I am located in South Florida

If anyone can donate a broken ecu for experimental purposes that would be great.

Please let me know

Thanks

Re: Honda Jetski ECU

Personally I believe the problem is the way people take care of their skis... If you take it out and run hard an put it away wet and hot.. Meaning you don't flush it out wash it and remove the seats and allow the engine to cool and the inside of the hull to dry out then all your doing is creating a sauna inside the hull and it's just pushing moisture inside the ECU... Same with the exhaust manifolds rotting out , with the f12s you have to after you flush it crank it and rev a few times and repeat the every 1/2 hour so 3 or 4 times to get all the water out ... I'm just saying its preventable
    2015 Yamaha FZS SVHO
    2005 Honda aquatrax R-12X (for sale)(sold)
    2007 Honda aquatrax F-12X
    2008 Honda aquatrax F-15X ( sold )

The pgmfi unit had almost 100% failure rate for the code 25 if you can tear them down and reprogram them they will be in high demand, funny thing was when they could be warrantied under the emission warranty they were not too expensive, once all the units were old enough that Honda did not have to eat them the price Tripled I can not for the life of me figure out why there was never a recall on this, if you can break the code and play with mapping etc.. they will be in high demand, you should be able to find as many bad units as you want with how many failures there were, I was a Honda dealer for 30+ years and I was blown away that Honda never acknowledged this problem, good luck with this and keep,us posted, Matt
    SOLD! HONDA AQUATRAX 2 SEATER
    1987 JS440 SUPERSTOCK
    198? JS440 FREESTYLE
    1987 JS550 LIMITED
    SOLD AND MISSED VERY MUCH, 1994 WAVEBLASTER LIMITED
    WWW.HONDAOFWINTERHAVEN.COM
    1987 AM. WORLD CUP CHAMP
    Photobucket

Gen, even if you can just repair the damn unit much less be able to reprogram it you'll hit the jackpot.

Matt, during the recall was Honda issuing a updated unit or just another of the same?
    03 Honda F12X (my favorite) Red of course
    Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

Used to have:
    98 GP760, 97 GTX Sea Doo, 97 GP1200, 02 Honda F12X, 2-03 Honda F12X, 05 SeaDoo GTX Supercharged

Need to have:
    F15X

They never told us if they were updated but we never had a second failure once they were replaced.
    1987 JS440 SUPERSTOCK
    198? JS440 FREESTYLE
    1987 JS550 LIMITED
    1987 AM. WORLD CUP CHAMP
    Photobucket

Gen-Tune

Try an ECU from the honda CBX1100 motorbike,
    From the photos it looks exactly the same and they sell on fleabay for $150
    Also there is a chip/tuning box around for the CBX.

The ECU s made by Keihin in Japan, they also make the ECU for the Triumph motorbikes.

I have seen threads about ECU replacements before, but from my tiny bit of research
    Buying a CBX1100 ECU firc$150, add some sort of tuning gadget (which already exist for motorbikes), recode and we have a solution for these overpriced parts.

Regardless I am going to get hold of one of these CBX1100 ECUs and just lpg it in to see what happens, I reckon it will work and may need some sensor input/outputs modified

IZ
    F12X 2007 pretty well stock
    Beat up landrover D1 to tow it
    UPDATE: 1 Small staffy dog for company
    Honda XR 200 80s vintage
    Hamilton J83 jetboat with clevo 351 V8
    9 foot inflatable achilles !!!!

Apologies for spelling in previous post.
    image.jpg

So we know our ski evolved from the CBX1100 blackbird engine,
    Sure we got a turbo but the F12 doesn't and it uses the same ECU as the turbo model.

The HP of the CBX and the aquatrax is exactly the same rating at different RPMs,
    8000 ish for the CBX and 6000 for the ski.

I'm nearly 100% sure the CBX ECU would work (eg start engine and run) in the ski.
    The PCH line from the turbo PX sensor is to log fault codes, the ECU calculates fuel delivery mainly on MAP, IAT, crank /cam angle.and RPM ( as do most fuel control systems).
    All the rest of the inputs are for fault code logging etc.

Pretty sure I read about the CBX code reset procedure and it was the same steps as
    The ski.

Anyway I've already spent 3 months and over $1000 for my ski "10 year birthday rebuild", but if I find a cheap CBX ECU. Will give it a go.

OZ
    F12X 2007 pretty well stock
    Beat up landrover D1 to tow it
    UPDATE: 1 Small staffy dog for company
    Honda XR 200 80s vintage
    Hamilton J83 jetboat with clevo 351 V8
    9 foot inflatable achilles !!!!

... I'm just saying its preventable

Actually I think it's hit and miss. I've had to change one, my friend has, JR has and at one time he had 3 Honda's and I sent one to Celticcrew several years ago. I can't say for everybody but I know how we take care of ours and still have the problem. I can see where heat may cause a problem but we've moved ours to on top of the gas tank to get away from the engine. I'm thinking if one of these guys aren't able to resolve this issue and mine goes out again, I'm switching to a aftermarket ecm with O2 sensor connectivity.
    Last edited by spatera; 03-14-2017 at 11:24 PM.
    03 Honda F12X (my favorite) Red of course
    Jim's Alpha Boost kit, H2O ECU Modulator, Large Intercooler, Solas intake grate and Impeller

Used to have:
    98 GP760, 97 GTX Sea Doo, 97 GP1200, 02 Honda F12X, 2-03 Honda F12X, 05 SeaDoo GTX Supercharged

Need to have:
    F15X

Frequent Poster

I heard it may have to do with the ECU being powered all of the time. Improper keep alive power management. Do people who only ride 3 to 4 months out of the year and disconnect their battery during the off season fare any better?
    '08 F-15X

My thoughts were it was a weak circuit to begin with and a lot of people run lower octane fuel or over time the fuel loses its octane then the knock sensor circuit is over worked until failure.
    1987 JS440 SUPERSTOCK
    198? JS440 FREESTYLE
    1987 JS550 LIMITED
    1987 AM. WORLD CUP CHAMP
    Photobucket

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information