Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Waxhead's Avatar

Re: 88kawi5fiddy dishonest seller

45 thou is over 1 mm. do you mean 4.5 thou
    Mr Ski its been over 48mths now. Have those parts turned up yet. I would like my factory half pipe and the pjs reed stuffers back

Yes thanks wax,that's what i meant.
    Old skool rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Water rat View Post
    The issue is i specifically asked if the cylinder had to be honed to get suitable clearance,any machinist won't need pistons to just bore,only to hone to final clearance.As stated,the cylinder was bored to someone elses pistons,and overclearanced for my purpose.Yes i mentioned running 45thou which he said was crazy.I told him i have my own specs and run 45thou,even the wiseco box has this clearance on the box,so what,wiseco don't have a clue what specs to recommend on their own pistons? I've ordered another set which are .25mm bigger which cost me more but the only way i can use this cylinder.Returning the cylinder worked out too expensive and didn't want to risk damage in transit.If the seller had told me it had been final clearanced,i wouldn't have bought it.
    wrong about any machinist won't need pistons to just bore,your machinist yes,but we all seen a cylinder he did for you that was junk.who says hey I got a cylinder to bore, but I don't have any pistons yet & the machinist says ah hell I can get it close.LOL
    RGR Racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Water rat View Post
    Yes thanks wax,that's what i meant.
    What is it wiseco calls for on those pistons,just for laughs,Because we all know you know a hell of a lot more then they do when it comes to this type of chit.
    RGR Racing.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Waxhead's Avatar

4-4.5 thou
    Mr Ski its been over 48mths now. Have those parts turned up yet. I would like my factory half pipe and the pjs reed stuffers back

Quote Originally Posted by Waxhead View Post
    4-4.5 thou
    assuming the bore was half *** good & had cast pistons,then the forged pistons he wants to use should work if he order the right size.never the less,he wanted a cylinder he could use,if he was thinking it was gonna show up & the pistons he had were gonna work,well,nevermind,is it to much to measure it, get pistons & take it to have them fit to the bore???
    RGR Racing.com

Must have the pistons. You only want to hone .0005 . So you measure the piston, leaving .001 at the most for honing. It's a lot easier to bore than hone. Really important if it's cast iron as it glazes up if you try to hone more than a few ten thousanths
    94' Kawi TS 650cc
    93' Kawi TS, in progress

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 88kawi5fiddy View Post
    But running 0.0045 clearance on a forged piston that big is just asinine in my opinion.
    Nothing wrong with .0045 clearance.

If an engine is prone to seizing, it will seize even if the clearance is .010" to .012"

That said I would prefer oem cast pistons at .0035" to .004". Mainly because any
    forged piston will stick before a cast piston, even when the piston to cylinder clearence
    is an extreme .010" to .012".

Wiesco pistons got a bad rap in the 70's & 80's because many of their pistons came with
    a dykes ring instead of a stock rectangular ring. The dykes ring raised the compression at
    least 10psi on those pistons, and many of those old engines had poor combustion chamber
    designs. Old ideas die hard, I still get the same pop-off questions I answered in the early 90's.

I prefer to tune a new set-up within a tight set of guidelines, and if possible use a cast piston
    with 20 to 24:1 high quality oil. Then when the setup is proved to be reliable, there is no reason
    not to use a tight piston to cylinder clearance.

Goon clearance is a waste of time!

Bill M.
    Last edited by wmazz; 03-10-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Quote Originally Posted by wmazz View Post
    Nothing wrong with .0045 clearance.

If an engine is prone to seizing, it will seize even if the clearance is .010" to .012"

That said I would prefer oem cast pistons at .0035" to .004". Mainly because any
    forged piston will stick before a cast piston, even when the piston to cylinder clearence
    is an extreme .010" to .012".

Wiesco pistons got a bad rap in the 70's & 80's because many of their pistons came with
    a dykes ring instead of a stock rectangular ring. The dykes ring raised the compression at
    least 10psi on those pistons, and many of those old engines had poor combustion chamber
    designs. Old ideas die hard, I still get the same pop-off questions I answered in the early 90's.

I prefer to tune a new set-up within a tight set of guidelines, and if possible use a cast piston
    with 20 to 24:1 high quality oil. Then when the setup is proved to be reliable, there is no reason
    not to use a tight piston to cylinder clearance.

Goon clearance is a waste of time!

Bill M.
    You do have a lot more experience than I do with this.

But I'll add that over the last 10 or so motors i've redone, if I use wiseco's clearance on the box, no matter WHAT I do for break-in, the piston around the rings gets chewed up bad.
    Throw an extra 1 or 1.5 thou at it and the horizontal machining pretty much stays intact and have flogged the poor motors until I sold them or the ski.
    Those were mostly stock-ish, and the extra heat from pipes, ignitions, high compression, high rpms, sure isn't going to make the piston shrink

But regardless to this threads purpose TL;DR: Measured bore, sent doohickey. Doohickey received and bought pistons sight unseen without knowing piston size/clearance.
    1994 1100 SJ - Dead
    1996 spec hx
    "I'm going to be installing the hooker on my driveshaft in the next two weeks." -Element3488

Quote Originally Posted by Cleatusjo View Post
    Must have the pistons. You only want to hone .0005 . So you measure the piston, leaving .001 at the most for honing. It's a lot easier to bore than hone. Really important if it's cast iron as it glazes up if you try to hone more than a few ten thousanths
    Theres a lot of shops with fixtures made up for Harley clyinders & so on that go into a sunnen c10 & never get bored.As far as cast or forged pistons,were not discussing what is better,just trying to figure out why this guy would give negative feedback over a problem he created.he could of waited for the cylinder to get there, then ordered pistons that would work.
    RGR Racing.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information