Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

X4 155 pump conversion

Ok, where's all the threads for the 155 pump conversion on a x4 hull. Time to get started on this 1100 project!

Can I just grind out the stock pump shoe until it fits or do I have to make a 155 pump shoe fit? Which way is easier? Any tips?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home justforfun's Avatar

Re: X4 155 pump conversion

When I did my 951 conversion on the XP I just ground the shoe and elongated the holes in the pump to work, worked great with no issues.
    Last edited by justforfun; 01-31-2017 at 08:52 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

PWCToday Regular

Thanks Matt! Did you open up the tunnel at all so the water flows better?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

They did I think. This was done by some central Florida friends of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps33 View Post
    Ok, where's all the threads for the 155 pump conversion on a x4 hull. Time to get started on this 1100 project!

Can I just grind out the stock pump shoe until it fits or do I have to make a 155 pump shoe fit? Which way is easier? Any tips?
    Or you could just grab a Skat 148mm and be done with it.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Alter Ego Trip View Post
    Or you could just grab a Skat 148mm and be done with it.
    True, but the skat costs 5 times more and I think the 155 will perform better.
    Last edited by Thomps33; 02-02-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomps33 View Post
    True, but the skat costs 5 times more and I think the 155 will perform better.
    It might. When speaking in depth about it with Wayniac; he gave the nod to the Skat over the 155 swap. I personally think it's splitting hairs at the end of the day for 99% of us and the 155 is a whole lot cheaper.

Justin would be a good one to talk with as I believe he has ran both. Either way there is a huge advantage to be had over the stock setup.

Both have adv/disadv. The 148 is a bolt in swap, but we had issues with the pump seal getting sucked in due to the 1100 torque. Didnt matter foam or rubber, both were good for about two rides. Also, note your still feeding the 148 with a 140mm pump shoe, so there is only so much volume to process water. That said, the 155 is a must have if your planning on building anything over a mild/stock 1100. This lends a whole other sealing issue, as your modifying the shoe and thinning out your sealing surface to accomodate the larger diameter. You MUST make the shoe match the face of the wear ring/pump, and use right stuff or permatex (sp) to ensure a good seal. I enlarged my shoe by hand with a die grinder and aluminum bit. Scottie sent his to the machine shop. Either way works. I did open up the intake tract 3mm or so, all the way forward, but you will need to lay up the tunnel reinforcement before opening it up. One needs to do this anyway as your cutting into the lip of the tunnel for the 155 pump. Take pics as you go and we can guide you thru it.
    "PITD" proud member of

Team TFP

I've been pretty lucky; I've had zero issues with the 148 seal. I ran the foam seal along with black RTV and no issues. Would the 148 to 140 not provide for more thrust on the same principle of holding you finger over a garden hose? Just thinking aloud.

Quote Originally Posted by jdakrt View Post
    Both have adv/disadv. The 148 is a bolt in swap, but we had issues with the pump seal getting sucked in due to the 1100 torque. Didnt matter foam or rubber, both were good for about two rides. Also, note your still feeding the 148 with a 140mm pump shoe, so there is only so much volume to process water. That said, the 155 is a must have if your planning on building anything over a mild/stock 1100. This lends a whole other sealing issue, as your modifying the shoe and thinning out your sealing surface to accomodate the larger diameter. You MUST make the shoe match the face of the wear ring/pump, and use right stuff or permatex (sp) to ensure a good seal. I enlarged my shoe by hand with a die grinder and aluminum bit. Scottie sent his to the machine shop. Either way works. I did open up the intake tract 3mm or so, all the way forward, but you will need to lay up the tunnel reinforcement before opening it up. One needs to do this anyway as your cutting into the lip of the tunnel for the 155 pump. Take pics as you go and we can guide you thru it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information