Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Needle and seat

Needle and seat

I just pulled apart the carb on my new Craigslist find 550 motor. It has a 44bn which is different from my other two skis which have a 40bn and a 44sbn. Those carbs have a typical needle and seat. This carb has what looks like a glass ball for the needle and seat. I was going to replace it when I rebuild the carb but where do I get a new one. Can I just use the same type that are in my other carbs . Do these type even wear out ? Never seen one like this

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Re: Needle and seat

Have any pics of this glass ball object?
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

It's strange, I'm 53 and have wrenched on motors since I was a kid and never ran across a needle and seat like this. Looking in the jet ski manual it doesn't show this .

IMG_6750.JPG

I just googled glass ball needle and seat and some Weber carbs and Keihin carbs pop up. I think I remember seeing these years ago in a Weber carb in my VW days. Maybe someone used a keihin needle and seat? I've never seen the keihin jet ski carb.

Prior to pulling the carb apart I ordered a regular. 2.0 needle and seat from eBay. Said it's for a 440-550 jet ski. I'm wondering if I should use it. I got the motor running but it kept running out of fuel. If I primed it , it would fire then die after a couple seconds. I've got a rebuild kit on the way but curious about this needle and seat.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bandit88's Avatar

Some aftermarket modified carbs had that as well. Pretty sure Badbones did that to their carbs and a few others as well. What does the rest of the carb look like?

Entire motor and carb looks completely stock. I bought it off Craigslist and the guy said he ran the ski onto the rocks and cut the hull up. I got it complete with e box , exhaust to carb. 125 compression. Everything it came with is stock. After I set timing it fired right up but won't stay running. Just curious if this needle and seat isn't letting enough fuel through. I guess I'll put the carb back together with the new diaphragms and see what happens. I didn't visually see anything wrong with the carb when I pulled it apart. It did look like the prior owner was chasing his tail trying to figure out something. Everything on the motor looks like it was apart. There's orange silicon sealant on all the gaskets , intake and exhaust. There's also a new stator. Motor would only backfire first time I tried to fire it. That's when I figured timing was off. Scored when I saw new stator in there !

Another thing I noticed when I tried starting it was bubbles in the fuel
    Line . I've been chasing an intermittent problem on this ski for a while. The motor that's I'm replacing is a tired 440 which has experienced intermittent bogging/ dying. I tried a new carb on that motor which didn't solve the problem so I decided to put this 550 in it. This motor has clear fuel lines and I see bubbles. To me that means there's an air leak somewhere. That's probably what I've been chasing. What's the best way to pressurize the system and locate the leak ?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I've seen them on the older 440/550 skis do that. Check for cracking or leaking where the pickup tubes meet the top screw-in cap part.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information