Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Head gasket

Head gasket

I bought a mariner head off e bay a while back with the intent on putting it on my 440 engine. Now things have changed , I found a good 550 engine so I'm using it. When I bought the head I also bought a .040 head gasket for the 440. My question is can I use the 440 mariner head on my 550 and can I use that head gasket ? I want to bump the compression up a bit to maybe about 165-170. What gasket should I be using ? Where do I buy it from ? Thanks !
    Last edited by 440 Nut; 01-09-2017 at 06:37 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Head gasket

440 & 550 Have different sized bores, and thus the dead domes are different diameters. You cannot run a 440 head on a 550 with out problems, eventually ending in engine failure. (Detonation)

Same with the gaskets. They are different.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Sure it is a 440 head? A lot of people get them mixed up. Post a pic of the underside.
    Sent from my brick phone.

I bought it new off eBay about a year ago I'll take a picture tomorrow.I bought a 550 engine complete off Craigslist after I bought the head. Engine looked perfect with 125 compression I could still see the home marks in the cylinders. I installed it yesterday's and it wouldn't fire and backfired like crazy. Pulled the flywheel today and saw prior owner put a brand new stator and timing was off about 3/8" from mark. I reset timing and it fired right up. I'd like to use the head. If not I'd like to bump compression up . How do I figure compression? If I use stock head do I have it milled and use a different gasket. I'm mechanical just not sure how to figure setting up compression.

I dream skis

Pm mcn6 on here. His name is Chris Newmiller, he does a lot of work for members. He can get you set up.
    85 JS550- New build comimg soon

Big thanks to Chris Newmiller and Newmiller machine for the excellent work! I highly reccomend Newmiller machine!

IMG_6740.JPGHers a picture of the head. I'm sure it's a 440 since the 440 gasket I bought matches the head . Also the stick 550 head has 2 water fittings on it. Where does the rear fitting connect to. I assume I just tee into the line going into the pipe where the front fitting ties to .

IMG_6738.JPG
    Last edited by 440 Nut; 01-11-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Thread Information