Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

X2 across te front of a trailer.

OK, so I have a largish galvanized dual trailer with a typical square tongue and C channel construction. I am trying to load a GP760, a WaveBlaster, and an X2. I could get all three side by side but the GP760 and the Blaster would hang so far over the wheels that I wouldn't be able to get the trailer out of the garage. The cross beam that holds the bow stops is just clamped to the frame so I can position the noses of the boats wherever I want to.

I am thinking that If I push the Blaster back till the rear lines up with the rear of the GP760 then I could get the X2 on a diagonal partially on the front A frame and a little on the main square section of the trailer. I have seen other guys do this but I am worried that: A) I will exceed my tongue weight limit, and 2) the C channel could buckle under the weight of the X2 as the trailer is really not designed to be loaded there. I was thinking I could get some additional galvanized box section and clamp it into the A frame C channel, but that still would not solve the tongue weight issue. The GP760 hull already extends a few feet past the box frame of the trailer, I really don't want to push it back much further.

Does anyone have any experience or insight in doing this on this type of trailer?

Bob

Re: X2 across te front of a trailer.

Pictures would help a lot.
    1982 Wetbike
    1989 Kaw jetmate 750SP
    1989 Kaw 650sx stocker
    1990 Kaw x2 750SP(bored801)
    1991 Kaw 650sx stocker
    1995 Kaw super chicken 750SP
    2004 Seadoo 150 sportster 4TEC
    2007 Yamaha FX HO
    2009 Yamaha vx deluxe
    2005 Yamaha sx230HO
    2002 Ford excursion 7.3 diesel dyno 412HP/739TQ"Fixed steer for life!! Only homos ride poles"

Blaster and GP760 set with a very low / neutral tongue weight (20" off of the taillights):
    IMG_20161022_135946_901.jpg

Set the back so there is about 25lbs on the tongue. Extension off the back taillights seems reasonable.
    IMG_20161022_145359_352.jpg

The X2 bunks would be clamped to the front A-Frame section of the trailer. I will have to get a longer 2" x 2" square tube to mount the GP/Blaster bow stops on a slight diagonal. This would allow me to take the current 2" x 2" crossbar and clamp it underneath the trailer from the tongue to the first cross member of the box section. I could then mount a 2" x 8" board between the Blaster and GP760 tying all of the cross members together across the center. I will also have to get a 2" x 2" square bar to mount between the X2 bunks for the X2 bow stop. Galvanized 2" x 2" is not cheap...
    IMG_20161022_145254_466.jpg

Detail of the C channel A frame where the X2 bunks will mount.
    IMG_20161022_145328_916.jpg

As I initially posted I am concerned by the weight of the X2 on the A frame section of the trailer. Adding the 2" x 2" bar underneath it will beef it up a good bit. The other concern is getting close to the 350lb tongue weight limit on the hitch on my Wrangler. I don't really know the actual weight limit of the trailer as the plaque is not readable, besides it is definitely not designed to be loaded this way.

Bob

I have a large 2-place that has seen name configurations over the years. Best thing that I did was to go get some 3/4" marine plywood and cover the entire front A-frame portion of the trailer. So not to drill thru the frame, I welded a few tabs around the inner perimeter to bolt to. Also, there is a walkway all the way to the rear of the trailer approx 10" wide. It's so convenient loading the skis from the back and staying dry!!!!

I also moved the axle forward quite a bit to decrease the tongue weight.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by w650gb500; 10-22-2016 at 05:38 PM.
    Dan Lipperini Jr

www.RaceLabz.com

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home TheJS440's Avatar

Any way to move the axle forward? That would solve tounge weight.
    78 JS440
    -Ocean Pro Finned Ride Plate
    -Westcoast Intake Grate
    -SCR Ported Cylinder
    -Westcoast Exhaust Manifold + Pipe
    -Mariner Waterbox
    -Primer
    -SBN44
    -Quick Steer
    -Skat~Trak 16.5 SS Impeller

It's all welded then hot dipped galvanized. Really don't want to take modding the trailer that far.

I think my riding season is over so I'll have all winter to come up with a solution. At this point I think I'll buy 6 bunk brackets and a few large clamps and try to just get the front bunks and 'tongue extension' beam mocked up to see how heavy the tongue gets. The X2's center of mass might end up roughly in the middle of the rear axle and hitch ball. If it and the extra steel I will be adding tips the scale at a liberal 370 lbs I may be only looking at a ~220lb tongue weight. I'll have to hook it up to the Wrangler to see how it reacts.

I also will need to replace the trailer springs as they are old, rusty, and seemingly a bit relieved. The 3 leaves spring is 1500lbs/pair while the 4 leaves jumps to 2200lbs/pair. I am at 1100 lbs dry of PWCs, plus the trailer weight, plus fuel weight I think I'm right on the 1500lbs capacity. But if 200lbs is on the hitch and not the rear axle then it would seem that the 1500lbs / pair would be the right springs to buy. Definitely want a soft ride as I am deviating from the original load design of the trailer and I'm pulling it with a short wheelbase Jeep Wrangler.

Bob

How about a hitch hauler on the front of the Jeep? Buying a front receiver is cheap, I've had them on my last 3 vehicles and they come in very handy. I've taken trips with my Jeep GC and 4-Runner with a ski on both ends of the vehicle. A hitch hauler in front and one on the back! If I don't have to tow a trailer, there are no additional tolls and I can go on some highways and thru some tunnel that don't allow trailers.

Just a thought as I don't like having skis hanging out past the back frame rail of the trailer.
    Dan Lipperini Jr

www.RaceLabz.com

Quote Originally Posted by w650gb500 View Post
    How about a hitch hauler on the front of the Jeep? Buying a front receiver is cheap, I've had them on my last 3 vehicles and they come in very handy. I've taken trips with my Jeep GC and 4-Runner with a ski on both ends of the vehicle. A hitch hauler in front and one on the back! If I don't have to tow a trailer, there are no additional tolls and I can go on some highways and thru some tunnel that don't allow trailers.

Just a thought as I don't like having skis hanging out past the back frame rail of the trailer.
    I love my hitch hauler, and have been thinking about putting a front receiver on my Silverado. This would give the option of ski on both ends of the vehicle as you mentioned, but I'm also thinking about one of these

http://tinyurl.com/zqlho6b

Wire a plug on the winch and one either end of the truck for it to plug into and now you can winch off either end of the vehicle with only 1 winch.
    94 Superjet
    94 X2 750
    94 WR3

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

You often don't want the tongue weight to be neutral (zero weight). It should be 10-15% of the gross trailer weight (load + trailer). Insufficient tongue weight can lead to sway problems. I was once driving behind a pickup truck with a moderate sized trailer load and it began to sway, the trailer flipped, and that actually flipped the truck and it rolled over several times. Fortunately nobody was hurt.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

The problem you will encounter if you move the skis that far back is if you ever tow w/o the X-2 up front for tongue weight.

Here's an informative video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q
    Dan Lipperini Jr

www.RaceLabz.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information