Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1st ski, JS550 build.

It was suggested I do a build thread, so here it is. A little background first, I'm a 50 yr old guy, always tinkering on some toy or another, long time foil rider with several flips & rolls in my bag of tricks. I've owned multiple boats over the years, currently have an 05 Malibu Vride, but this is the first jetski I've ever owned. Had some fun on a friend's ski last summer & liked the idea of doing a winter build. Picked up this 87 JS550 last October, rode it a couple times before winter set in & I parked it in the garage.

Winter projects included building a dolly for the garage, and a jetski carrier for the truck.

And a trailer for behind the hopped up golf cart.

Pulled it out in the spring to ride & it wouldn't start. Rebuilt the carb, then realized I had a stuck ring & low compression in the #2 cylinder. Ended up replacing the piston & rings, new gaskets, new fuel lines, an AGM battery, a primer, etc.......and it ran! Finally. After some carb tweaking, its been running great & I've put a few hours on it.

Sanded the paint for a new coat of something cool....and durable. Found 2 cracks in the hull, repaired them with West Systems, then applied some fiberglass mat & resin behind each one. Its now ready for paint. At the moment I'm thinking of a white hull & black above the rub rail. I have a fresh roll of green/white Gator Grip to finish it off.

Here it is today:
    Last edited by AirJunky; 09-13-2016 at 12:20 AM.
    -
    Bill

Current ride is an almost stock 94 550SX
    My JS550 build
    . - SOLD

Top Dog

Re: 1st ski, JS550 build.

Welcome- Look forward to your build thread. Good to see another OG noob.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home TheJS440's Avatar

Can't wait! I should probably start a thread for mine, it's currently a motor swap and hull clean, but I have a *****in paint scheme in mind if I decide to paint.
    78 JS440
    -Ocean Pro Finned Ride Plate
    -Westcoast Intake Grate
    -SCR Ported Cylinder
    -Westcoast Exhaust Manifold + Pipe
    -Mariner Waterbox
    -Primer
    -SBN44
    -Quick Steer
    -Skat~Trak 16.5 SS Impeller

Got out to ride this evening after work. Gotta love it after Labor Day when everyone gets off my lake.

So it was pretty glassy out, but the ski has a tendency to porpoise thru the waves. Even the slightest ripple will get it going. I can lean forward into it or turn so I'm not aimed directly into the wakes, but it seems like it starts too easily. I've read where people shim the ride plate with washers.....sort of a poor mans trim tab. I might have to give this a try.
    Last edited by AirJunky; 09-14-2016 at 02:25 AM.
    -
    Bill

My JS550 build
    . - SOLD

Top Dog

Bill-Some of the extended ride plates reduce this tenancy significantly. I use a mariner plate, with the small fins (hardly anything). As your riding improves it will go away. It's difficult to explain but here goes. When you first start riding you put a lot of effort into just staying on, and you tense up. You in a sense aggrivate the situation by fighting the ski for control again tightening your grip. The tenseryour body and the tighter your grip the worse it will get. I used to ride horses, it's the same with them. When a horse gallops you just try to float along with him being neutral (kinda just buffering his movements) with a very light hand on the reigns. Only putting in inputs required to keep him on track. Same thing here, relax, put most of your weight further toward the ski balance point and try to just absorb what the ski is doing. Making only the course corrections needed. Hope this helps. Mike

Took the 550 out for a spin this afternoon. I'm getting a bit better at getting the porpoising to stop (leaning toward, shifting both feet up a bit, pushing on the bars, etc). But I still think it starts doing it too easily, even a small wind ripple will get it going.

Also, the cold start takes a bit of finesse to get it going. A couple of shots with the primer, the engine will start for a couple seconds. But it'll take 4 or 5 of these to get it to idle out on its own power. Should I go richer or leaner to make it easier to start?

BTW, warm starts were much easier... 1 shot with primer, starts right up.
    -
    Bill

My JS550 build
    . - SOLD

Top Dog

Quote Originally Posted by AirJunky View Post
    Took the 550 out for a spin this afternoon. I'm getting a bit better at getting the porpoising to stop (leaning toward, shifting both feet up a bit, pushing on the bars, etc). But I still think it starts doing it too easily, even a small wind ripple will get it going.

Also, the cold start takes a bit of finesse to get it going. A couple of shots with the primer, the engine will start for a couple seconds. But it'll take 4 or 5 of these to get it to idle out on its own power. Should I go richer or leaner to make it easier to start?

BTW, warm starts were much easier... 1 shot with primer, starts right up.
    You may have a small leak somewhere in the fuel system. I would check all the caps and clamps and the check valve ( the little plastic one)on the tank. I replaced all the tubing in the system with clear fuel line so I could see exactly what was happening all the time.
    Also on riding- try not to put your feet next to each in the tray ( unless your just cruisinging a straight line at moderate speed), try a surf stance dominant side foot to the rear of the tray other foot all the way forward and centered or close to center, and relax and relax your grip to minimize input (which often aggravates the condition).
    Last edited by Hydro-Mike; 09-20-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Thanks Mike,
    I have replaced the fuel lines with the clear greenish yellow ones from Napa. And install new 3/16" spring steel clamps. I do see a few bubbles in the return line but nothing in the supply line.

Thanks for the riding tips. I've been playing with different stances & really trying to relax. Getting better with it every trip out.
    -
    Bill

My JS550 build
    . - SOLD

Top Dog

When you pump the primer is it drawing fuel well on the supply line ( it should always be full )? If not you may have a crack in the plastic filler neck at the tank. Also did you check the one way valve ( you can check it by pulling it off and blowing from the tank side , you should not be able to blow through it in this direction) it keeps fuel from dumping into the hull. Riding- Its amazing what riding everyday does for your skill level. When your doing turns you will learn to put nose pressure on the front to allow the back end to slide or drift, or conversely to drop your weight into the tray toward the back to really load the pump and make the ski dig in and snap you through the turn. Once you get the hang of it you will make very small subtle inputs to get what you want.
    Last edited by Hydro-Mike; 09-20-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Yea, checked the one way valve & it's fine. The plastic piece on the top of the tank also seems good, although it was really stiff when I first started digging into this thing. We greased both sides of the rubber gasket & it is going on/off a bit easier now. I do see a couple of bubbles in the lines so maybe it is cracked, although definitely not obvious.
    -
    Bill

My JS550 build
    . - SOLD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information