Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

89 Kawi X2 first build

What's up everyone? I am really excited to get this project finally going. Before I start I will say this is my first jet ski and first build, so I am open to any suggestion, criticism, comments, or helpful advice.

I recently bought an 1989 Kawasaki X2 hull from a guy on these forums. It got delivered 2 days ago.
    I am going to put a kawi 800 in it, and I am thinking about putting a 750/800 pump in it as well.
    Possibly flat decking it.
    Front fill.
    Rockered nose.
    Chop the back.
    Shave the hood.
    Fuel door delete.
    Tubbies.
    Driveshaft fill.
    Fill in all the cavities in the engine bay.
    Rear exhaust.
    Dual cooling.

Since then I have built a tall stand for it for working on it. I'll be building a smaller one once it gets closer to being finished.

Next to my buddies 89 650sx he is rebuilding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: 89 Kawi X2 first build

Not much, but made a little progress after work today. Cleaned out the engine bay a little, I need to clean it some more when I get some more time. Found a couple cracks. And took the old turf off.

Does anyone have a good link on how to do a rocketed nose? I have already searched the forum and couldn't really find anything that gives good information for a how to.

Rockered nose*

If you do the front fill DON'T shave the front bumper off. You would be amazed at how much water splash it keeps out of your face. As for the rear exhaust I had it and I was not a big fan of it. If you let it sit in the water for anytime, it starts to fill up the complete exhaust with water and can be a pain to start.
    Last edited by got dirt?; 09-13-2016 at 08:04 PM.
    BRAAP!

Resident Guru

Look forward to your build. I like the rear exhaust on the bigger motors. It really puts the sound behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by got dirt? View Post
    If you do the front fill DON'T shave the front bumper off. You would be amazed at how much water splash it keeps out of your face. As for the rear exhaust I had it and I was not a big fan of it. If you let it sit in the water for anytime, it starts to fill up the complete exhaust with water and can be a pain to start.
    Got dirt? Thank you for the advice, I don't know if I am going to shave it off or mold over it yet, but I am looking at different ways to make something that does the thing but goes with the shaved front. And I am pretty set on doing the rear exhaust, I am planning to build another X2 when this one is done and that one will be more of a race style hull without the rear exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro-Mike View Post
    Look forward to your build. I like the rear exhaust on the bigger motors. It really puts the sound behind you.
    Hydro-Mike, thanks man! I am pretty excited about it!

So I have flipped it over and started the sanding process. I want to get the bottom ready before I start working and cutting on the topside. Should I sand all the gel coat off or just where I plan to repair it?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WaveRunner Eagle's Avatar

Anywhere you are doing fiberglass work you want to make sure to remove all of the gelcoat - otherwise you can leave it as long as it is smooth.

Search for WB1994 on this forum, he has done several x2 builds and I think he even sells a front fill kit for the x2?

The 750/800 pump is nearly the same as the 650 pump. The only major difference is how they mount - you don't have with silicone to remove a 750/800 pump

Skis:
    1986 X2
    1987 750 X2
    1990 SNSJ
    1994 WB1
    1995 VHP

Quote Originally Posted by WaveRunner Eagle View Post
    Anywhere you are doing fiberglass work you want to make sure to remove all of the gelcoat - otherwise you can leave it as long as it is smooth.

Search for WB1994 on this forum, he has done several x2 builds and I think he even sells a front fill kit for the x2?

The 750/800 pump is nearly the same as the 650 pump. The only major difference is how they mount - you don't have with silicone to remove a 750/800 pump
    Alrighty thanks Waverunner Eagle, shouldn't be to much to do in the bottom side for now then.

I searched WB1994, he does some amazing work and I'll defiantly be looking at more of his stuff for inspiration.

And if those are really the biggest differences than I might just start looking for a 650 skat track. I can live with a little silicone haha

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information