Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Re: 2017 Kawasaki sxr standup 4-stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by ericstratton View Post
    Sounds like your saying all 2 strokes are banned? Funny you see all kinds of "2" strokes on Lake Powell. Some older Seadoo and Yamaha pre/emmision boats have 2 engines, both being 2 strokes, plenty of fishing boats are
    2 strokes, some house boats still have 2 strokes engines on them. Pardon the pun, but something smells fishey. What's next?
    Eric
    Only 2 stroke PWCs are banned. Total BS. The tree huggers somehow got satisfied that they will have clean water/air now that the boats that create far less pollution (2 stroke large boats are a much more significant source) on the lakes are banned.

https://www.nps.gov/lake/learn/management/twostroke.htm
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440
    1989 650sx
    1991 X2
    1992 750sx
    1995 900zxi (qty 2)
    1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

Yes it's true that some risk it and take "non compliant" 2 stroke PWCs, on Powell. But they risk being impounded. I am not going to ruin my vacation fighting with a park ranger.....

I have gotten rid of all my 2 strokes except the stand ups. Can't wait to see/ride this new 4-stroke stand up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is the economics of the thing...

To develop a bespoke lightweight 4 stroke engine for PWCs would be very expensive, and the manufacturer would have to be convinced that sales of the PWCs with the engine would hit an inflection point in a reasonable amount of time (often 3 years out for a projected 7 year run in similar industries). Because of this they have to look at the engines they have developed for other purposes that are not an ideal fit. If the engine is 'oversized' then the boat must be larger to compensate.

We know that sit-downs dominate the industry to the point of crowding out stand-ups, but is that because of what the manufacturers push or really a response to market forces? I have no interest in riding a stand-up bigger than a 650, and would prefer something more 'JS' sized. To me, bigger boats are more boat than ski.

I would really consider buying a 2 cylinder 4 stroke 'JS' or even 650 sized stand-up, up to maybe $8000, but that's just me. I have no idea how many other people are in the same boat (see what I did there?).

Bob

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

why not put a EPA emissions compliance sticker "off a 2 stroke brush cutter" , in an obvious placement on your 2 stroke ski , point it out to the ranger if you get pulled up and say , SORRY the sticker says it is legal "i didn't know " ..
    Last edited by hyosung; 10-03-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

Because that would be fraud, and you could get in a LOT of trouble.

Yamaha had an inline 2 cylinder motorcycle years ago called the TRX850 / TDM850 that made 80hp. That shows it can be done. It was meant to compete with Ducati but sadly never made it to America. Too bad the idea never took off.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gruen View Post
    Yamaha had an inline 2 cylinder motorcycle years ago called the TRX850 / TDM850 that made 80hp. That shows it can be done. It was meant to compete with Ducati but sadly never made it to America. Too bad the idea never took off.
    Because that would be fraud, and you could get in a LOT of trouble.
    not if you didn't know
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

I dream skis
    Blog Entries

Actually I think phuxtik has it right. That main channel were a lot of house boats dump their waist water should be named Lake Bowell!

The biggest problem here is government emissions. The only possibly way I see Kawasaki being able to build a new 2 stroke ski is if they used the same 2 stroke technology found in the evinrude etec outboard. I love 2 stroke skis and all but I'm also very excited about the new sxr. 4 strokes have made some large improvements over the years. I would have never purchased a 4 stroke ski if I hadn't found the deal on my fxho for $850. From day one I feel in love with it. Starts every time, no issues, no adjustments, etc. for the very few days I ride a standup a year a 4 stroke sxr is right up my alley. I'm just a rec rider. Something that's heavy enough to cut the chop down and has tremendous power and better yet is a known reliable power plant is just what I want. And the best thing I like is how large the hull is. I'm 6'4" and 255, any older ski I've ridden makes me feel like a giant trying to ride a tiny hull.
    1982 Wetbike
    1989 Kaw jetmate 750SP
    1989 Kaw 650sx stocker
    1990 Kaw x2 750SP(bored801)
    1991 Kaw 650sx stocker
    1995 Kaw super chicken 750SP
    2004 Seadoo 150 sportster 4TEC
    2007 Yamaha FX HO
    2009 Yamaha vx deluxe
    2005 Yamaha sx230HO
    2002 Ford excursion 7.3 diesel dyno 412HP/739TQ"Fixed steer for life!! Only homos ride poles"

Quote Originally Posted by madman2021 View Post
    The biggest problem here is government emissions. The only possibly way I see Kawasaki being able to build a new 2 stroke ski is if they used the same 2 stroke technology found in the evinrude etec outboard. I love 2 stroke skis and all but I'm also very excited about the new sxr. 4 strokes have made some large improvements over the years. I would have never purchased a 4 stroke ski if I hadn't found the deal on my fxho for $850. From day one I feel in love with it. Starts every time, no issues, no adjustments, etc. for the very few days I ride a standup a year a 4 stroke sxr is right up my alley. I'm just a rec rider. Something that's heavy enough to cut the chop down and has tremendous power and better yet is a known reliable power plant is just what I want. And the best thing I like is how large the hull is. I'm 6'4" and 255, any older ski I've ridden makes me feel like a giant trying to ride a tiny hull.
    My thoughts exactly!
    '17 SX-R
    '91 650sx
    '89 X2
    '84 JS550/650 conversion
    '98 Tigershark 640

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information