Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: ts77r hole in piston

I have an electric impact, I don't have an air compressor. Iv tried and tried and can't get it off. Soaked the end of the crank multiple times in penetrating oil still nothing. Getting frustrated!
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    94' Montego (my first) sold
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed.

Get some pressure on the flywheel with the puller and then hit the bolt with a dead blow mallet add little more pressure and repeat. Hit it gently but firmly if that make any sense.
    99 Tsr 770: gps 59.3, kawi 1100 limited motor, dried out stock pipe, mikuni 44s, Ada head 145psi, 148 mm pump.
    94 barracuda custom: 770 limited motor, 2* static advance, vforce delta reeds, milled head 165psi, molded pump inlet grafted on with 146 mm pump.

Oh believe me I smacked the piss out of it. My puller isn't perfectly flat, I keep bending bolts on crankshaft. Iv left the puller on at full tension for almost 3 weeks now, every once in a while spraying more penetrating oil in the flywheel keyway. Tried heating up again and pounding and still wouldnt budge. My only other option involves disassembling the bottom end, which I can't do until I perform a leak down test.
    Last edited by Associated98; 09-03-2016 at 12:49 PM.
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold

PWCToday Regular PsychoSchematic's Avatar

I dont get why it would be so hard? I had that flywheel off this spring. Have you pressurized the crankcase yet?
    1997 TigerShark Daytona 1000: Arctic Cat green, hydroturf, Beach House sponsons, TDR exhaust, 16/21 Skat Trak Slimline impeller, 1100R steering nozzle. More to come

1999 TSR 1100

1994 TigerShark Barracuda: Solas Super Camber impeller, Black Magic intake grate, Rend ride plate, JRE Lightweight Flywheel, DG Tri-Oval waterbox, beach house.

On a 640 that I had, I could put all the pressure I wanted into the puller and it wouldn't pop, but as soon as I started letting pressure off of it, the flywheel would just kind of slip off the shaft. Found it to be the puller had a bent arm and it would pull at a slight angle and bind it a little.
    99 Tsr 770: gps 59.3, kawi 1100 limited motor, dried out stock pipe, mikuni 44s, Ada head 145psi, 148 mm pump.
    94 barracuda custom: 770 limited motor, 2* static advance, vforce delta reeds, milled head 165psi, molded pump inlet grafted on with 146 mm pump.

I have not pressure tested yet as I am suspecting the mag crank seal, and need to get the flywheel off to check for leaks around said seal. I'm not sure why ether but Im about ready to Huck the motor out into my driveway. Something is bent because I keep bending bolts in the crank.
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold

PWCToday Guru

A couple of issues I see from reading this thread.

#1) A leak in the MAG side crank seals, would not melt the PTO piston.

#2) if you are bending puller bolts, you may be one bold "longer" than the others. When using a plate type puller, BE SURE you have the bolts screwed into the flywheel EXACTLY the same amount so the puller pulls straight. It is possible some locktite got into the taper?

#3) I am in the market for a good 770 head if you are doing something drastic with this engine.

John
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

I've got nothing conclusive as of yet, I got frustrated after a month and a half of trying to pull the flywheel and put it away for the winter. Iv got a smashed sled that I'm currently trying to get ready for winter. Thank you though for the help, I'm probably going to pick up a new puller next spring when I get around to fixing the tsr. Thanks guys
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold

PWCToday Guru

This is just another thought.... I had to pull the flywheel on my 770 yesterday. Remember that the crankshaft is recessed pretty far below the surface of the flywheel. Are you sure the bolt on your puller was really "pushing" on the crankshaft, or was it hitting the flywheel itself? You can remove the crank bolt, take the washers off the bolt then thread the bolt back into the crank, leaving the head of the bold up a bit from the flywheel. Then have the puller push of the bolt until you break the flywheel loose.

Good Luck,

John
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

PWCToday Guru

deleted---message posted twice
    Last edited by hemmjo; 10-21-2016 at 06:39 AM. Reason: not sure why that posted twice

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information