Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

Installing exhaust bypass / pisser on a superjet

I have an SJ without a bypass and it bothers me not being able to see if the ski is getting water or not. I looked at my buddy's X2 and his bypass just runs from the line going from the intake of the pipe to the exhaust. It's just a T with a hose running to the pisser. I was wondering if that's what you'd do with a 6m6 with a coffman pipe, and if there's anything special you do with where to drill the hole for the bypass. I searched and couldn't seem to find anything about installing a bypass, not sure if I'm just overthinking it or not. I repainted it a few months ago and I don't want it cracking or anything and having to butcher together some fiberglass work over something I just painted, specially considering the hull was pretty rough and I spent a bunch of time filling in chips and gouges.

Or if there's something better people do (like route that whole cooling line out the pisser so there's less water in the exhaust). Basically, what's the right way to go about this? Or is it really just a simple install a T with a pisser fitting and drill a hole?
    90 Superjet, 98 Polaris Pro 785, 95/92 Kawasaki 750 sxi, 01 Polaris 600 sc xp

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Mike W's Avatar

Re: Installing exhaust bypass / pisser on a superjet

Typically with a stock exhaust you would install a T fitting in the line going from the back of the head to the exhaust. Without knowing your water routing on your pipe it's hard to say. Then run a line overboard to a bypass fitting. If your worried about the paint you can use painters tape on the area you will be drilling. A step drill works really well and will not booger up the hole.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_11970.jpg
    Last edited by Mike W; 07-31-2016 at 08:05 AM.
    '03 Superjet
    '96 WB1
    '95 X2

PWCToday Regular

I have one line running from the head to the manifold, then another line from the manifold (or start of pipe) to end of pipe. I figured the T goes into the part between the start and end of the pipe. Wasn't sure about drilling but it sounds like I'm overthinking this. I'd take some pictures but I'm not going to be near the ski for a while. I'll drill tuesday from the sound of it and get it all going. I have all the parts.

Post a picture of your pipe showing the routing. I'm not very familiar with that pipe. But if you restrict the water going to your waterbox or your chamber that would be ideal. I would keep as much water flowing through the engine and manifold as possible.
    Last edited by Mike W; 07-31-2016 at 06:51 PM.
    '03 Superjet
    '96 WB1
    '95 X2

PWCToday Regular

cooling1.jpgcoolingbypass.jpg
    I was thinking right where the red line I drew is is where the line would go. I looked all over the forums and didn't really see anyone install one of these.

PWCToday Regular

I did it yesterday. Bought some stainless steel hose clamps, a brass T intersection, and had some spare silicone hose and a spare pisser from my 750 SXI hull. Did it just like in the picture, drilled a hole right in the side. It works perfectly. No cracks, no leaks, engine temp was fine the whole time. It's much nicer having the pisser there to see and feel how the water is going through the engine.

That's where the bypass is typically installed. You could also install a flow control valve right before the stinger to dry out the water box for better low end.
    '03 Superjet
    '96 WB1
    '95 X2

I have a 94 superjet with everything stock. The pisser on that is just teed out of that line. I want to do the same on my 94 blaster but am not sure if that's 3/8" or 1/2" hose. Do you remember what size it was when you did yours?

Thread Information