Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home delagem's Avatar

1984 Surfjet 236SS Freestyle For Sale, Syracuse, NY $1,800

Cleaning out my garage. I desperately need some room to continue with further projects.

Unfortunately, this machine has reached the end of my development abilities. While I could raise the ports further, the real limits to further HP are the exhaust and pump designs. This is not something I'm prepared to do.

I don't believe you can find a more developed Surfeit motor or package than this.

Below is the craigslist ad I have listed:

1984 Surfjet 236SS Freestyle, the shortest, lightest, and most maneuverable of the Surfjet line.

This machine underwent a complete overhaul/restoration. Board was split, refoamed with US Composites 2 part foam, the motor rebuilt, exhaust ports were raised 0.6mm, to achieve a 172 degree duration; head/block was cc'ed, skimmed, and the head dome geometry reshaped to improve performance and to meet the target compression ratio. The pump was polished, impeller reshimmed for maximum performance. Fuel lines changed for Tygon, new tank "clunk" pickups installed. Repainted, and new Hydroturf traction mats applied.

The crank was trued, welded, and bearings replaced by LC Machine in Lowville, NY, one of the top crank builders in the Northeast.

The stock Mikuni BV22 carburetor only propelled the craft to 20-22mph. This craft has a BV24, and a top speed of 25mph on a Stalker II RADAR gun.

We have probably only put 5 hours on the board since the overhaul. Starts first pull. I installed a primer to make starting easier. Motor mods were designed to run on 91 octane, and 40:1 premix. I have run it on Amsoil Dominator since the rebuild.

This board needs nothing but a rider. There probably isn't a faster 236SS out there, as the motor modifications were not cheap and require a bit of 2 stroke knowledge to perform. For example, port timing, and setting the Mean Squish Velocity, or MSV; reshaping the head required the fabrication of a jig to hold it. To reduce the squish to acceptable levels, the entire block had to be milled.

These modifications do not reduce the reliability of the board. If anything, reducing the squish reduces the chance of detonation. It also makes the motor much more efficient. The stock motor was a 255cc parallel twin two stroke made by Fuji Heavy Industries (parent company of Subaru). They were irrigation motors for farming. They were industrial motors, built to be extremely reliable. But not fast. We have improved the performance of the design, without compromising the reliability. I probably have about $2,500 to $3,000 into this board, to bring it back to better-than-new condition.

I have the title/transferrable registration in hand. Technically classed as a PWC or jet ski, like a Kawasaki jetski or Yamaha Superjet.

I'm not interested in trades, I'm trying to clean out my garage.

Last edited by delagem; 07-26-2016 at 09:44 PM.
    '58 Vincent Amanda Water Scooter, 0rpm, 0mph

'84 SurfJet 236ss Freestyle, 5950rpm, 24.6 mph

'91 Jetmate! SX-R 800,GroupK carbs,R&D 26cc head,R&D ProLok F/A, Coffman Rocket Pipe,Impros 13-20,76mm nozzle: 6630rpm and 38.1mph GPS

'92 SL650/750, dry pipe,extended pump,trim,HotSeat Waterbox: 6320rpm, 50.1 mph

'00 SLX,Tau Ceti F/A's,NuJet prop: 6670rpm, 63.1 mph

'03 Octane, Watcon 2318 CDI

'04 MSX140,Impros stage 2 Powertune 14/23,WetWolf,6deg wedge: 6750rpm, 60.5 mph

Thread Information