» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 750 X-2 Rebuild

Re: 750 X-2 Rebuild

Kapal,

I am assuming you mean the electric box. In the U.S.:

The Pelican 1120 case at Amazon: $25
    Duracell AGM battery at Batteries Plus: $90 (~1" shorter than stock)
    Misc hardware from West Marine: ~$15
    Scrap Stainless steel from eBay: $20
    MSD 4390 Waterproof Relay at Amazon: $60

There is room in the box for the stock starter relay if you can figure out how to seal it. I already had the MSD relay and planned to use it in the stock location.

Bob

Fine tuning...

I finally got this boat 'mostly done'. It will need a new prop, paint, and graphics before I can call it finished but it is running OK.

To get the carbs tuned I needed a solution for getting at the idle screw on the rear carb. I came up with a very simple mod that worked well. A few people suggested just pressing 1/8 PVC tubing on the screws and using your finger tips to adjust. Problems with this are that just a light oil film (which is good for corrosion) will cause your fingers to slip and the permanent marker witness marks were hard to see and would rub off. The solution was found in a bag of computer hardware: nylon 8-32 knurled thumb screws 3/8ths inch long. I only had three black ones so I bought a bag of them off of ebay which were only available in white.

Needle.jpg

In both cases I took a carpet knife and scratched a line from the center to a low spot between two knurlings on the edge. I then painted the scratch a contrasting color (white on black / black on white). Screw this onto the same 1/8 PVC tubing. Trim the tubing leaving enough left on to press over the knurled screw head of the needle. Run the needle all the way in and pop on the screw end with the witness mark pointing up. Unscrew the needle a little and press the new knob fully home. Then adjust away. Having these on all four screws is so nice, I don't even have to remove the air filters to adjust them. I do have to stop the engine though. To see the rear carb's low end screw I have to pull the throttle to get the syncro assembly out of the way so I can see it. I bought some Shoe Goo to glue it on but have not done that yet.

The boat was also too loud so I rerouted the cooling water lines. Now the line from the headpipe goes out one of the thru-hull fittings while the other line direct from the head goes to the stinger. The way I did the T fitting the branch of the T goes through the 2nd thru-hull fitting, which also has a restrictor. This is dumping a lot more water into the water box and has made the overall riding experience livable.
    Last edited by Bob Gruen; 10-04-2016 at 08:18 PM.

Well, I guess I have to track down some SS rubber clamps for all my routing now. Thanks Bob.

Looks great!

I'll be modifying my needles as you did. Smart!

I realized I never posted pics of the finished E-Box.

E-Box.5.jpg E-Box.6.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Gruen; 01-25-2017 at 12:07 PM.

What impeller are you running?
    -Bulldog Freestyle 550/750 - http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=457962
    -92 550sx/650 conversion
    -94 750sx modded
    -86 X2 - Twin carb 750 swap

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rod Peters's Avatar

Sub'ed

Quote Originally Posted by still standin View Post
    What impeller are you running?
    Hooker 10/16 from Impros, which is the defacto 750 X2 recommendation. It is not yet fully sorted, but I'm not happy with the top end speed. The compression and engine internals are still stock, but I think I am running into the rev limiter. I ride it intermittently with a modded 701 Blaster and a stock GP760, both of which have a lot more top speed than the X2.

The GP760 is designed for mid range and top speed, the speedo reads 54mph on a good day but I have not verified that. Comparing the X2 to it is probably pretty unfair. I might have cavitation issues, or maybe I need a pump stuffer.

Bob

I recently finished building a very similar 750X2 (only real difference is that I am running a PJS 3-Piece Pipe) and IMPROS recommended the 9/15 hooker to me. I am heavier than the average rider though so this may be the reason for the lower pitch recommendation. I haven't GPS'd it yet but based on riding it back to back with my 750sx I believe I am hitting right around 47mph.
    -Bulldog Freestyle 550/750 - http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=457962
    -92 550sx/650 conversion
    -94 750sx modded
    -86 X2 - Twin carb 750 swap

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Bob with a 10/16 I can almost guarantee you're hitting the limiter. Do you have a small pin CDI? Get a big pin one and it'll unlock a world of rpm. Well at least a good chunk.

We used to have a GP800 in our group. From my records we gps'd it at 54.3 with an extended ride plate pushing the nose down more. The best it ever read on it's speedo was 66! Lol. FWIW.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.6mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [42.4mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

My next step is to mount a tach and figure out what the RPMs are actually doing. Is it safe to run a stock small pin motor with the big pin CDI?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information