» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

2006 VX 110 deluxe Runs crappy and dies

In attempt to fix:

New plugs
    Cleaned throttle body with carb cleaner spray.
    Checked air box = no oil at all in box or on filter
    Added Techron Concentrate to fuel
    "01" Normal engine code

Ski still coughs and sputters, then dies on start-up. If I goose the throttle I can usually keep it running.

Crazy thing is that about two weeks ago it was doing the same thing - after changing plugs, checking air box and all the other steps above it FINALLY began to idle normally. Took it out and ran it hard for about an hour. Couldn't get it to do anything wrong.

Put it on the lift. Came back 10 days later and it's doing it again! Battery voltage when it first starts is around 12.3 volts. Seems to begin running better when voltage hits 13.5 or so.

Me thinks I need a new battery. Would a weak battery mess up the idle and running at start and then when it gets charged the problem goes away???

Thanks to anyone who has ideas on how to make this thing dependable again!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

Re: 2006 VX 110 deluxe Runs crappy and dies

what are your compressions? sound like rusted valves and seats , valves are leaking air back into intake manifold and messing up map sensor reading.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cyrillefrenchy View Post
    what are your compressions? sound like rusted valves and seats , valves are leaking air back into intake manifold and messing up map sensor reading.
    Thanks for the reply. Hope it's not rusted valves, etc. Going to suck as much fuel out tomorrow and replace with gas/Sea Foam and try that as I have no equipment to test compression.

PWCToday Newbie

Cyrille, Glad to see you are still busting your knuckles on wave runners! Did you get the message I sent you? It doesn't show up in my message sent box. Best regards Tomvino

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home cyrillefrenchy's Avatar

yes I got your message and answered back

PWCToday Newbie

There is a good chance your injectors are possibly clogged. Remove the fuel rail and spray bth sides with carb cleaner and reinstall. Just be very careful when you go to put them back in. Push all of the injectors into the fuel rail and make sure they are perfectly seated when you put them back in and make sure to go slow when adjusting them back into the manifold. If you do it the other way around you will likely damage the top of the o rings and they are not easily found at the hardware store.

When you get the thing running again pull the wire the goes to the coil pack and check for audible differences on each cylinder. There is a chance that you might have a sticky valve, but usually when you get the engine running they will clear themselves back up and not have an issue.

Also there is a chance that you have some bad/corroded pins in your ECU plugs. Its somewhat tedious check, but unplug the 3 main plugs on the ecu, as well as the rectifier (that heat sink box next to the ecu) and the round plug that comes from the stator with the three green wires and pull them up and get them as far out of the hull as possible. I like to stick a screw driver in between the bundle of wires and let it rest on the intake manifold so they wont fall back down in the hull while checking. On the ecu plugs, you have little white tabs. One side has a long tab, while the other side has two smaller ones. With a flat head screw driver push in the larger white tab, this releases the catch that holes the wires in place. Starting at the top left working to the right, pull each wire one at a time, inspect for broken or corroded pins, re grease with di electric, and then reinstall them. Be sure to do these ONE AT A TIME so you dont mix up the order. I will put a glob of grease on top of my hand between my thumb and the index finger so I just pull, dab and push back in place with ease. Every 10 wires, I will push the two tab side in, to make sure they are all seated correctly and then keep on checking wires. Check the ends of each ecu plug for corrosion as well, these older plugs have been known to split in half and let water seep into them and cause all sorts of electrical issues, some that wont even come up on a code check or the YDS system.

If none of this makes sense then let me know and Ill post pictures when I get into the shop today.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Kwtony View Post
    There is a good chance your injectors are possibly clogged. Remove the fuel rail and spray bth sides with carb cleaner and reinstall. Just be very careful when you go to put them back in. Push all of the injectors into the fuel rail and make sure they are perfectly seated when you put them back in and make sure to go slow when adjusting them back into the manifold. If you do it the other way around you will likely damage the top of the o rings and they are not easily found at the hardware store.

When you get the thing running again pull the wire the goes to the coil pack and check for audible differences on each cylinder. There is a chance that you might have a sticky valve, but usually when you get the engine running they will clear themselves back up and not have an issue.

Also there is a chance that you have some bad/corroded pins in your ECU plugs. Its somewhat tedious check, but unplug the 3 main plugs on the ecu, as well as the rectifier (that heat sink box next to the ecu) and the round plug that comes from the stator with the three green wires and pull them up and get them as far out of the hull as possible. I like to stick a screw driver in between the bundle of wires and let it rest on the intake manifold so they wont fall back down in the hull while checking. On the ecu plugs, you have little white tabs. One side has a long tab, while the other side has two smaller ones. With a flat head screw driver push in the larger white tab, this releases the catch that holes the wires in place. Starting at the top left working to the right, pull each wire one at a time, inspect for broken or corroded pins, re grease with di electric, and then reinstall them. Be sure to do these ONE AT A TIME so you dont mix up the order. I will put a glob of grease on top of my hand between my thumb and the index finger so I just pull, dab and push back in place with ease. Every 10 wires, I will push the two tab side in, to make sure they are all seated correctly and then keep on checking wires. Check the ends of each ecu plug for corrosion as well, these older plugs have been known to split in half and let water seep into them and cause all sorts of electrical issues, some that wont even come up on a code check or the YDS system.

If none of this makes sense then let me know and Ill post pictures when I get into the shop today.
    Thanks so much for this valuable info! I'm away from the ski ATM and won't be able to do anything for about two weeks. As I've no done these types of things with the fuel rail, any photos would be appreciated. Thanks again!

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Shopper View Post
    Thanks so much for this valuable info! I'm away from the ski ATM and won't be able to do anything for about two weeks. As I've no done these types of things with the fuel rail, any photos would be appreciated. Thanks again!
    Well, here I am again and have unbelievably good news. MY SKI APPEARS TO BE BACK TO NORMAL RUNNING LIKE NEW!!!!

I pissed away a season in 2016 trying from time to time to get it running to the point of doing a slapdash winterization because it would barely stay running.

New plugs, a used throttle body (eBay), pumped out and replaced the fuel, added copious amounts of Seafoam and Techron, new battery, new aftermarket coil tried on each plug, disconnected each harness to the ECU and sprayed with circuit cleaner. Let it sit on the lift in central Missouri after fogging each cylinder and removing the battery. Installed the charged battery yesterday-hit the starter and it RAN. IT RAN! Coughed and sputtered a little at first, but hey-it had been asleep for quite awhile, so maybe that's understandable. Ran it for 30 minute intervals for a total of 1 1/2 hours yesterday and another hour today (2 - 30 minute rides at varying speeds). When I pumped out all the fuel I could get out last summer the fuel did have a peculiar smell to it-smelled old or musty or something.

I'd sure appreciate some theories as to what happened. I just hope it stays the way it is now. Thanks so much!

A side note-my dock broke loose and was rubbing against a neighbor's dock in February 2016 for a couple of days in high wind/waves. The problem of it not running properly began when we dewinterized it following that.

PWCToday Newbie

Updated 6/8/2017: Have logged approximately 6 hours on it during various trips the the dock since the post on 5/11/2017 and continues to be a joy to start and ride. Not a single "miss" when running and starts right up every time. Methinks bad gas (water in fuel) was the culprit. Still waiting to hear ideas from others...

PWCToday Newbie

Updated 8/6/2017

Was the ECU. Ouch!!!!!! Hope this fixes it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information