Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Js550 ebox replacement

I was having issues with my ebox so i got my hands on what i thought would be a replacement. But apparently the replacement was slightly different. I plugged most of the wires in with matching colors, but i do not have a rev limiter on the new one, that i can tell, so those wires are just hanging right now. Can i make this one work, or is it time to hunt down the right one? 2016-06-10 14.34.32.jpg

PWCToday Regular

Re: Js550 ebox replacement

What problems were you having with the old E-box?

You could swap out the rev limiter from the old to new, or you could swap CDI, relays etc over from new to old or you could bypass / remove the rev limiter from the system. I have never had a 550 but I understand that its not a huge job to remove it providing you put a restrictor in the return fuel line or something like that. Someone will correct me if that wrong.
    Depends on what the original issue was.
    Looks like you have a 440 E-box as the new one.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the info. If i remember correctly i believe the voltage on the ebox, going to the starter was low and it had resistance

PWCToday Newbie

Can anyone help me out here? Can i get confirmation please

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goatse View Post
    Thanks for the info. If i remember correctly i believe the voltage on the ebox, going to the starter was low and it had resistance
    Sounds like the relay is faulty, so just swap the relay from new box to old, its is the most simple fix option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyX2 View Post
    Sounds like the relay is faulty, so just swap the relay from new box to old, its is the most simple fix option.
    Lol thanks bud but did you read the previous comments? The new ebox looks similar, but different. Most notably it doesn't have the rev limiter box

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Yes I understand. The box that DOES have the rev limiter (the old box), just put the good relay into that and then you dont have to worry about trying to fit an ebox into a ski that doesn't belong in there. You said the only problem was voltage getting to the starter (that would be a faulty relay) so if you put a new relay in the old box, that should solve the problem???
    Last edited by JonnyX2; 06-19-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday Newbie

Ohhh very nice, apparently i need to learn to read myself! I thought you said to swap the ebox lol. Gonna definitely take a look at that after work. Many thanks brotha!

PWCToday Newbie

1466425592102-1468732644.jpg
    Well i was just about to swap the relays but then i was reminded of a second issue with the original ebox....this wire's insulation got burnt up... the wire looks simple enough to re wrap but im concerned that other electronics got burnt up in the ebox... so i am assuming that it wont be simple enough as to swapping relays :l... any thoughts? Thanks for your input

You'll want to fix or replace that wire, but only AFTER you figure out what caused it to melt in the first place. Something is drawing too much current. I'm not familiar with that harness, but perhaps somebody with a shop manual for the 550 can post a pic of the wiring diagram page so you can trace it down.
    Dan White
    1993 Kawi 750SX

Thread Information