Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

Re: Westcoast RC-520 club

lol, "compression gauges" and "the total equation"? If you want to remain a clueless parts swapper and attempt to blow smoke up everybody's butt for the rest of your life...

Oh what the heck! Out of the sheer goodness of my heart and because of my overwhelming generosity toward my fellow man (sheet hook in your case...), I will give you another hint: All the major OEM 2-stroke engineers are/were using some form of Blair based software. Not only that, so were your heroes over at PJS and so did WestCoast. Also, just a FYI, there is something very consistent in Kawasaki service manuals that indicates a fuel octane requirement and it isn't some vague range of cranking psi numbers that may or may not change from year to year.

btw, you may want to take better notes... Not once on here have I ever used a cranking psi number to estimate a fuel octane requirement nor have I ever disagreed with an OEM published cranking psi numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSki View Post
    <snip> I'm really confused why you guys are listening to Chirs Newmiller regarding any kind of head CC to octane ratings. He is the guy that refuted Kawasaki ever making a 550 engine with stock 175-185 PSI compression and with that, rating the engine OK to run 87 octane. I have already posted Kawasaki's literature on this. All the 550 reed motors fall into this spec.

I keep preaching out here that static compression readings on a 2 stroke are bogus numbers to equate to detonation. Two strokes develop 1.5X atmospheric pressure when stuffing the cylinder with air/fuel mix once the pipe starts working at it's tuned RPM and temperature. I don't think there can be a calculation to correlate the two. But for sure, engine operating combustion chamber pressure is much higher than any static measurement on a compression gauge. So if pressure in the chamber is the issue, and the issue of detonation only occurs when the engine is running, why do we care what the non-running pressure is?

Controlling your temperature is the only way to ensure against detonation. Yes, reducing combustion chamber temps will help here. Running 100 PSI compression is "safer" than 200 PSI. But that is not the only component. Richen up your mixture. Run a little more water into your exhaust. Keep you ignition advance in check.
    <snip>

Home of Newmiller Machine

Resident Guru

I'll be possibly picking up the rc-520 cylinder today locally if we can come to an agreement on price. The Build I HOPE to achieve, Its in a 90sx hull. I haven't decided wether to run the 440 pump/16.5 skat(current) or a 550sx pump with skat (open to suggestions on the pitch there). it will have dual sbn 38( gotta find a westcoast mani that mounts carbs with carb shafts parallel to the crank, 2 Westcost Velocity stacks. Gonna Lighten the stock flywheel. Westcoast head w/ 21cc domes (might run smaller 17cc if the psi isn't around 180ish) I got a copper head gasket(could load it up with copper coat around the domes), open to a "paper" gasket if need be. it will have a copper base gasket( .010 ), westcoast pipe, 7 ring cone, ( might go to a 3-4), Westcoast Waterbox, westcoast exhaust manifold, trued and welded crank. Hull has fuel refill cap glassed over, and already has a westcoast OS tank. The Hull will be painted a metal flake blue, not sure of the shade yet.

Ultimate goal is to have this thing have top tier top end, and to pull hard getting there. I realize that if you want top tear bottom end you have to sacrifice top end, looking for a happy medium maybe a little more emphasis on top end.
    Last edited by stixx925; 05-18-2016 at 03:13 PM.
    90' 550SX "Shaved head, .5mm+ Wiseco pistons, SBN 44, Kerker exhaust, Mariner waterbox, WestCoast OS Gas Tank, extended ride plate,(440 pump) 16deg SS Skat imp."
    WIP - 83' JS550 " .5mm+ Wiseco pistons, WestCoast: Head, rc520 reed cyl, 7 Ring Exhaust, Ext Ride plate, Ex Manifold, 2x Velocity stack, waterbox, Westcoast Dual 38 intake, Dual SBN 38s, 440 pump and a 16.5 degree SS Skat imp. Lightend flywheel"
    97' Tigershark Monte Carlo 1000 fresh top end and runs finally! ---SOLD---

Resident Guru

negotiations went well cylinder is mine unless something drastic happens.
    90' 550SX "Shaved head, .5mm+ Wiseco pistons, SBN 44, Kerker exhaust, Mariner waterbox, WestCoast OS Gas Tank, extended ride plate,(440 pump) 16deg SS Skat imp."
    WIP - 83' JS550 " .5mm+ Wiseco pistons, WestCoast: Head, rc520 reed cyl, 7 Ring Exhaust, Ext Ride plate, Ex Manifold, 2x Velocity stack, waterbox, Westcoast Dual 38 intake, Dual SBN 38s, 440 pump and a 16.5 degree SS Skat imp. Lightend flywheel"

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Waxhead's Avatar

casedecorating.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSki View Post
    Bruce - is that a 440 or 550 pump?. I suspect a 550 given your performance issue. Also, a Westcoast head with interchangeable domes seals perfectly fine with an ultra green paper head gasket from gasket technologies in Havasu. The steel ring seals the combustion chamber and the paper (no RTV sealant) swells with the water and seals just fine.

I suspect Chris was cautioning against a copper gasket with a Westcoast head as I have seen the domes spin when torqueing down the spark plugs....even with RTV sealant.

I'm really confused why you guys are listening to Chirs Newmiller regarding any kind of head CC to octane ratings. He is the guy that refuted Kawasaki ever making a 550 engine with stock 175-185 PSI compression and with that, rating the engine OK to run 87 octane. I have already posted Kawasaki's literature on this. All the 550 reed motors fall into this spec.

I keep preaching out here that static compression readings on a 2 stroke are bogus numbers to equate to detonation. Two strokes develop 1.5X atmospheric pressure when stuffing the cylinder with air/fuel mix once the pipe starts working at it's tuned RPM and temperature. I don't think there can be a calculation to correlate the two. But for sure, engine operating combustion chamber pressure is much higher than any static measurement on a compression gauge. So if pressure in the chamber is the issue, and the issue of detonation only occurs when the engine is running, why do we care what the non-running pressure is?

Controlling your temperature is the only way to ensure against detonation. Yes, reducing combustion chamber temps will help here. Running 100 PSI compression is "safer" than 200 PSI. But that is not the only component. Richen up your mixture. Run a little more water into your exhaust. Keep you ignition advance in check.

And I know Chris preaches some of this as well. From what I have seen of him, he really misses the compression gauge reading portion of the equation.

just think about the total equation...not just one component.
    If I could be bothered I could rip this into a shreds but instead I will leave you with this
    Www.waxracingproducts.com
    All your billet vintage parts in one place

Right on stixx. Hope it works out
    Had fun riding today but think I need crank seals.
    Ski ran good but idled super high which makes me think air is leaking into bottom end.
    I know the previous owner had no idea what he had and just rode this thing for years with no mainenence or care so it it probably time for seals gaskets and rings.

Do these use normal Pistons and rings?
    And I may be able to get a Coffman 1/2 pipe to try
    super couch
    550sx with 701 and big pump
    550 RC-520
    809cc X2

Resident Guru

My understanding they do, but the pistons need to be modded before they can be used.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home MrSki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcn6 View Post
    lol, "compression gauges" and "the total equation"? If you want to remain a clueless parts swapper and attempt to blow smoke up everybody's butt for the rest of your life...

Oh what the heck! Out of the sheer goodness of my heart and because of my overwhelming generosity toward my fellow man (sheet hook in your case...), I will give you another hint: All the major OEM 2-stroke engineers are/were using some form of Blair based software. Not only that, so were your heroes over at PJS and so did WestCoast. Also, just a FYI, there is something very consistent in Kawasaki service manuals that indicates a fuel octane requirement and it isn't some vague range of cranking psi numbers that may or may not change from year to year.

btw, you may want to take better notes... Not once on here have I ever used a cranking psi number to estimate a fuel octane requirement nor have I ever disagreed with an OEM published cranking psi numbers.
    Seriously? How is senility going for you? You are not worth my time to go back and dig up all the post you just contradicted yourself with here.

I'm really sorry that you do not understand 2 stroke dynamics. It would help the PWC community here if you would just stop you rants and waste of our time.
    1993 Laser Jet F15 - Mild port to PJS Cylinder.
    1992 550 SX - R&R port Kawi Reed, Kind of fast.
    1989 JS 550 - PJS motor Dual 46's, 50 MPH on GPS.
    1989 Wet Jet - Upgraded 1994 50 HP motor & exhaust.
    1986 JS 550 - Engine built. Working on fiberglass!
    1976 JS 400 - Pretty much just a shell.

So it looks like we have a good start for a RC-520 club

1. Dose
    2. BruceinSB
    3. Noprabs
    4. BLrider
    5. Stixx (prospect)

On a side note mrski and new Miller don't like each other
    Waxhead. Do you use fast cure cake icing or the standard on your cases?
    super couch
    550sx with 701 and big pump
    550 RC-520
    809cc X2

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dose View Post
    So it looks like we have a good start for a RC-520 club

1. Dose
    2. BruceinSB
    3. Noprabs
    4. BLrider
    5. Stixx (prospect)

On a side note mrski and new Miller don't like each other
    Waxhead. Do you use fast cure cake icing or the standard on your cases?
    That is from an old Mr.ski post some years ago......
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

lol! And if my aunt had testicles she would be my uncle... Like I already told you on the phone: If you want some Newmiller Machine stickers you are going to have to ask me nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Spazz View Post
    You are not worth my time to go back and dig up all the post you just contradicted yourself with here.

Home of Newmiller Machine

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information