User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When did SBT start using Chinese bearings in their cranks/CBs etc?

I remember when I first became a dealer I read about them proclaiming how prouud they were they used Nachi Japanese bearings, well all the ones I see now say China.

Is this a dollars and sense thing or do the carb kits get better and the crank bearings get worse?

PWC Sales/Service/Performance Tulsa,OK
    4304 E Pine Pl Tulsa,OK 74115 918-902-7876

Top Dog

Re: When did SBT start using Chinese bearings in their cranks/CBs etc?

If they are totally switched to Chinese components, It would be nice if they offered different tiers of quality for their cranks. I am sure that people would be willing to pay more for quality Japanese bearings.

HINT HINT SBT

Since all the Nachi, Peerless, etc. bearings we have been receiving all are marked as made in China as they switched their manufacturing locations, I think it is more important the quality than the manufacturing source. Our suppliers have been with us for almost 20 years, supplying us with high quality bearings regardless of their place of manufacture. That’s why we can carry a 1-year fault free warranty.

Probably better quality than the ones they sell at Harbor Weight.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

when i bought NSK and the box said made in Indonesia i was a little concerned , i spoke with a mate high up in the engineering field , he informed me that all bearings have to pass the manufacture NSK or who ever name brand quality control standards and their specifications no matter where they are made , also that Japan is no longer #1 in bearing manufacture since so many x Japanese bearing company's are now manufacturing off shore these days , so in short ,dont be too concerned if your bearing now says made in China when they used to be made in Japan its the same quality since the brand is now just manufactured in China , Indonesia , or Mexico ,,
    Last edited by hyosung; 04-13-2016 at 02:37 PM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

We have a couple SBT cranks in our skis and have never had a problem with them. All the SBT cranks we have tested have very tight tolerances and were better than some of the more highly regarded brands too. I'm currently putting together a 787 engine that will be using a SBT crank and expect it to perform well.

I wish SBT made new handle bar covers for my ski though (95 XP 800). Since the dealer no longer offers these handle bar pads new, nice used pads are commanding a premium. If SBT could make a yellow handle bar pad for under $150 I bet they would sell very well, just look at the prices on used ones on eBay (nuts).

Dan
    Last edited by Dan87951; 03-11-2017 at 11:53 AM.
    04' Shorelander Double Trailer
    98' Sea Doo SPX Mint
    96' Sea Doo HX Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 Mint
    95' Sea Doo XP800 - Rescue project (almost done)
    99' Sea Doo XPL - rescue (project on hold)
    97' Tigershark Daytona 1000 - Another rescue project (see videos below)
    My Jet Ski videos below.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...wmp0jqpvLFpgmZ

Get ur crank rebuilt with real parts, sbt crank will get loud and if welded will be like that for ever as it sits on ur shelf

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kohldanielzimmer View Post
    If they are totally switched to Chinese components, It would be nice if they offered different tiers of quality for their cranks. I am sure that people would be willing to pay more for quality Japanese bearings.

HINT HINT SBT
    I would be more than willing to pay extra for bearings with an ABEC rating (verifyable). That way it's not just hearsay about the quality. You can tell me it's a quality bearing 'til your blue in the face but if there's nothing about bearing specs printed in black and white thenI have to assume it ends like this........http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232032. I'd gladly pay an extra $30-50 if it were an option.

Or better yet offer an "ultra rebuild" version with my own crank, disassembled, inspected, shot peened, then assembled by your best crank guy with all USA bearings! Now that would surely get some attention!
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

SBT produces a combination of engines and crankshaft every year in the range of 10,000 units. We have been at this production level for 8-10 years. We have very little to no issues with our bearings. So, we are very confident in our bearing supplier.

would anyone buy a used sbt crank? Other than the fact I've never pulled one that didn't have garbage bearings and a welded pin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information