Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Impeller blades touching the housing on a 750 X-4

Hello everyone.
    I 'm about to buy a Kawasaki X-4 (the european version of 750SS) with damaged engine. The ski is in very good shape and the engine is easily fixable. The engine is outside the jet ski so I put the drive shaft in to check the jet pump by turning it by hand. I noticed that the impeller blades are touching the impeller housing on a small point, making it difficult to turn. I also realised that if I was pushing the drive shaft on one side or the other while turning it, the impeller was touching the housing either more or less. Is that a problem and how difficult is it to fix? (sorry for my english)
    Last edited by Vasilis 440; 04-10-2016 at 01:02 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

Re: Impeller blades touching the housing on a 750 X-4

Salt water ski? If so your wear ring is ruined by salt water, boils , new pump time and prop is going to be worn OD , that's probably what overheated the engine and caused failure

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

The problem might only be caused by bad jet pump bearings. Disassemble the pump to see what is wrong. But BionicRacing760 could be correct in that salt water caused the wear ring to expand/corrode and rub against the impeller blades.

Your english is fine.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

link is correct , check the bearings and seals in the pump , then mock it back together and check clearance , if ithe impeller is only touching /rubbing on a small blister on the ware ring , then dont be too concerned , when the pump in apart , a couple of light taps with a peening hammer on the high spot will take care of the rubbing , your main concern is clearance between the impeller and the stainless ware ring if there is more than the specifications recommend then replace the impeller ,
    Last edited by hyosung; 04-10-2016 at 03:45 PM.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hyosung View Post
    link is correct , check the bearings and seals in the pump , then mock it back together and check clearance , if ithe impeller is only touching /rubbing on a small blister on the ware ring , then dont be too concerned , when the pump in apart , a couple of light taps with a peening hammer on the high spot will take care of the rubbing , your main concern is clearance between the impeller and the stainless ware ring if there is more than the specifications recommend then replace the impeller ,
    Why does all of your advice involve a hammer ?
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    Why does all of your advice involve a hammer ?
    arh , because hammers are a very useful tool , hitting something with a cotton stick does fvck all so I have a good selection of hammers , although a heavy rock can be used , I prefer hammers ,

modded X2 650

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Thank you guys for the response. Unfortunately I don't know almost anything about the jet pumps so it's difficult for me to fully understand what you mean. The engine broke down because a part of the exhaust clogged (yes, salt water ski) and the water couldn't pass causing overheating. Is it difficult to remove the jet pump and disassemble it? Will it need any special tools?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilis 440 View Post
    Thank you guys for the response. Unfortunately I don't know almost anything about the jet pumps so it's difficult for me to fully understand what you mean. The engine broke down because a part of the exhaust clogged (yes, salt water ski) and the water couldn't pass causing overheating. Is it difficult to remove the jet pump and disassemble it? Will it need any special tools?
    Don't worry it appears Hyosung knows nothing about them either. You will need a tool to remove the impeller, it goes into the impeller splines and you hold the pump shaft in a vise ,then you can remove the impeller with a wrench, it is regular threads on the impeller.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 04-11-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

So the thing that the impeller touches is called wear ring? Do all jet skis have a wear ring?
    When I was checking it I noticed that by pushing the drive shaft either right or left, the impeller was forcing against the inner walls of the jet pump (wear ring?) more or less. Shouldn't the impeller be secured in place? Is this fact associated with the bearings?

the impeller is threaded onto the shaft there are 2 bearings that are pressed into the housing , the shaft slides into the bearings , if the bearings are worn the shaft can float causing the impeller to scratch on the ware ring , you need a "" HAMMER" and punch to remove the bearings from the housing ...

modded X2 650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information