Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Scottie Mac's Avatar

Re: Seadoo X4 1100 conversion build/resto

97 SPX didn't come with the spacer, so if you go that route, you won't be able to use the set back pump from the 95. The other option is to have skat build you one, but they are expensive!

AS for the porting, no matter who does it, make sure they know Kawis, especially 1100s, because you can't go in there and port like a normal Yamaha cylinder or you run the risk of cutting into the water jacket. If you have any questions, PM me.

SM
    Those who have done the least in the sport are always the ones with the most to say.

Best career accomplishment: Fatherhood

Proud Member of TEAM TFP!

Support those who support the sport!!!
    JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    www.ipdjetskigraphics.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

Mmm........ a pizza sounds good right about now!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie Mac View Post
    97 SPX didn't come with the spacer, so if you go that route, you won't be able to use the set back pump from the 95. The other option is to have skat build you one, but they are expensive!
    Yeah, Skat is out. What do you mean about the spacer on the SPX? It's true they didn't use a setback pump on the SPX but why would it matter. All it means is the SPX driveshaft is a hair bit shorter than the 95 XP driveshaft; but seeing as I'm custom making one, I'd just have the Kawi shaft cut a bit longer to offset the difference. Am I missing something here?

AS for the porting, no matter who does it, make sure they know Kawis, especially 1100s, because you can't go in there and port like a normal Yamaha cylinder or you run the risk of cutting into the water jacket. If you have any questions, PM me.

SM
    Thanks, I'll probably pick your brain a bit more regarding this going forward.
    Last edited by Alter Ego Trip; 03-19-2016 at 12:02 PM.

That set back kit on the 95 is like 4 inches, longer than stock, I was assuming you were just cutting the end off the shaft and having it done, but if you are making one, then yes, any of the XP/SPX shafts will work.

SM
    Those who have done the least in the sport are always the ones with the most to say.

JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie Mac View Post
    That set back kit on the 95 is like 4 inches, longer than stock, I was assuming you were just cutting the end off the shaft and having it done, but if you are making one, then yes, any of the XP/SPX shafts will work.

SM
    It's a shade over 5-1/2" longer.

What do you mean by cutting the end off the shaft and having it done? That's essentially what I will be doing.

Take a look at the pic of the driveshaft I posted yesterday and let me know if that looks correct. I am cutting the end off a 787 driveshaft as well as the Kawi shaft and mating them together with a coupler. Seems pretty straight forward unless I'm missing something?

Dp.
    Last edited by Alter Ego Trip; 03-19-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Here's the pic.

Yes, that will work, I just don't like the weld point being that far toward the middle of the shaft with the extra 5.5 inches of the set back. But, it could be fine, no way to know without doing it and testing it. Triples make a lot of torque.

SM

JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

Thanks Scottie. In your experience, would you say the advantages of the setback outweigh the possible negatives from the longer shaft?

I certainly don't have to go with the setback but like some of the benefits it would provide.
    Last edited by Alter Ego Trip; 03-20-2016 at 12:56 AM.

Honestly, I think going the set back route is a waste because eventually you will end up going to a bigger pump, either a skat 148 or a xpl conversion pump. I know you said you didn't want to do the work, but once you get this thing running I think you are going to quickly come to understand that the 140 is the one part holding you back. My buddy Jeff's 1100 x4 with the 140 pump and set back runs good, but when you ride Justin's with the big 150 XPL pump, it is crazy how much more power is put to the water. Remember, the 1100s never came with anything less than a 148 from Kawi. Even good 800 kawis are held back with the 140mm stock sxr pump and the triple has twice the torque of an 800.

SM

JAM Racing
    Judge Motorsports
    www.hotproductsusa.com
    www.optimaracing.com
    www.nynjapwc.com
    Judge Motorsports
    www.raddudesfi.com
    ProWatercraftracing.com
    ADA Racing
    Monster Motorsports
    A&R Performance

I'm sure you're right Scottie.

I'll probably start with the setback and then when I upgrade pumps down the road I can just cut the Kawi shaft a bit shorter and re-thread. I'm hoping the setback paired with the big hub pump will play nicely for now.

That being said; maybe I should start perusing threads on a 155 install. I do have 2 months to get it done.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information