Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Triple in a 550

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bruce in SB's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Triple in a 550

Pics of cut pipe??
    "Thanks" to Chris Newmiller @ Newmiller Machine

Thanks for all the comments so far guys. As we get closer to the weekend I'll be posting up some info on direction for the drive line and exhaust options.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro-Mike View Post
    Looking good so far. Will be watching with interest. I had many of the same thoughts, but I was not after max HP and speed. PM me I have some ideas about the hood that can easily solve a couple of problems.
    Thanks man, always interested in hearing any ideas. PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by rhugo21 View Post
    Attachment 492921

This guy on the X posted this for an exhaust option and he said this about it when asked about the B pipe on the 900 motor.

"Works really well for the 900, but too restrictive for an 1100."

FX-1 and 550 are close in size so I don't see why the B pipe on the 900 in a JS hull wouldn't fit with a little modification to the chamber
    Thanks! I've read through his build a couple of times. Conveniently, I've got an FX1 with a B pipe, so I might pull it to see how close it is. I'd like to use the stock exhaust but am open to options.

Quote Originally Posted by hyosung View Post
    watching with interest , im liking the B pipe set up ! a couple of questions >> , coupling line up IE: size ,distance , hull strength ,IE: pole , engine mounts , etc, pump / impeller selection ,fuel cell , water box , looking good so far "for a JS "..
    Thanks! I'm going to post up my thoughts on a lot of that pretty soon. Just been a busy past couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Peters View Post
    This is crazy, but I like it, FYI the hull gets unstable at about 40 mph, however I am sub'ed to see how the extra weight is a plus or works against the design of the hull. MORE PICS please. Might recommend tubbies and "Fish Sticks" (see www.watcom.com) for the fish sticks.
    Thanks! I'm very curious how the weight will act too. I've got tubbies for it that will be installed when hull mods are finished. More pics to come for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by WaveRunner Eagle View Post
    I'm not sure if you mean your build will be completed quicker, or your ski will be faster.... I think you have a good shot at being right on both counts

On the other hand....a factory pipe could probably make up a good part of that 10 h.p. difference....
    Triple powa!

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Edge Racing View Post
    Put some front sponsons on as that might help float it a bit better and add some stability. Get some Pro Watercraft, they should work well.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I have a set of tubbies that will definitely be installed.

Quote Originally Posted by orangefinger View Post
    great build , keep us posted
    btw the floating part will change as soon as the exhaust is in....:0)
    Thank you! I did try to estimate and simulate the weight of added components with the 25lb platter & chamber during the float test, but yes I'm sure it will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SB View Post
    Here is a thread to my 1100-550 mockup. I moved on to other projects ...like the 1100 X2. After riding the X2, I gave up on the JS 1100 ... always afraid the X2 will sink and the JS would be worse! It will float much lower when you get done... believe me!

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=395567

However...

The stripped pipe was real close to fitting with a small blister and and milled manifold
    Convert it to center-bleed for sure
    A late mode Superjet waterbox will strap right in and has the big diameter tubes ... side exit probably
    The electrics will fit in a plastic box easy like a JSS conversion
    A RCI 4 gallon dragster tank will probably fit right in there .. Put one in a 550 SX with a 701 FPP ... fit nice

Good luck! I want a ride...
    Thanks for the input! Very helpful to hear from others who have tried similar builds. I've read through your thread multiple times, part of my inspiration for this build for sure. It may very well sink, but it sounds like a fun challenge. What do you mean by stripped pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by jetskijockey View Post
    I have a 900 zxi pipe that has been cut down to fit into a 750sx with a 900/1100 engine. I don't think I will ever use it as I am saving to buy a Bullet hull. The bolt holes need to be retapped, payed $75 for it.
    Sounds cool, any shots of this?

Here is a thread to my 1100-550 mockup. I moved on to other projects ...like the 1100 X2. After riding the X2, I gave up on the JS 1100 ... always afraid the X2 will sink and the JS would be worse! It will float much lower when you get done... believe me!

http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=395567

However...

The stripped pipe was real close to fitting with a small blister and and milled manifold
    Convert it to center-bleed for sure
    A late mode Superjet waterbox will strap right in and has the big diameter tubes ... side exit probably
    The electrics will fit in a plastic box easy like a JSS conversion
    A RCI 4 gallon dragster tank will probably fit right in there .. Put one in a 550 SX with a 701 FPP ... fit nice

Good luck! I want a ride...
    Ahh, that's right, stripping the water jacket off the pipe. That's an interesting idea for sure, the chamber is closer to fitting than I would have expected. I'll look into this a bit and get some photos of how close the 900 exhaust is right now. If you have any advice regarding that process, I'm all ears.

Subscribed! Looking good so far....
    99 ZXI 1100 - Parting out. No engine or ebox. PM me for other needed items.
    04 SXR 1100
    02 SXI PRO
    04 SXR 800
    17 YZ 250X

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Bruce in SB's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Keep an eye out for a cheap... or free 550 hood ... cut it down the center front to rear and use it to check clearances on things ... huge help!
    "Thanks" to Chris Newmiller @ Newmiller Machine

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bigdogtim's Avatar

Keep an eye out for a cheap... or free 550 hood ... cut it down the center front to rear and use it to check clearances on things ... huge help!
    i have a after market hood

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bigdogtim's Avatar

pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Great job 123hi, I like how you listed and are methodically investigating your questions. This is certainly one of the more innovative builds on here. We'll all be following with interest!

By the way, to counter balance the weight of the engine, you could consider chopping the bottom rear of the hull, and ride plate some. This changes the balance of the ski, less weight pushing the nose down. Same reasons why SJ guys cut their hulls to get more pop, and opposite what most guys choose a long ride plate for. But in this case, it would be more to just balance the ski while you're riding. Won't help with flotation when the ski is sitting still obviously though.

Also you might want to go to extra lengths to really plant the rear of the ski as well. Deeper chines, ect... On these hulls if there isn't enough weight in the back, they will swap around like crazy. I've seen it and experienced it on my 550/750, if you don't plant your weight hard on the back inside corner in a turn. I have also heard tales of guys who's ski has swapped ends on speed runs. Personally though I've had no problems at 50mph with my 750, seems to vary a lot by the particular hull you have.

This is the sort of build I'm glad someone else is doing, so I don't have to do it myself! Good luck man!
    Last edited by theVetteman3; 02-05-2016 at 10:33 AM.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.6mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [42.4mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

I have a 550 hood you can have for FREE. I am in Morgan Hill Ca. I go up to Discovery Bay all the time to ride.
    Save up to 25% by becoming an AMSOIL Preferred Customer

Prices listed are Retail. E-mail or Call me for a price quote.
    http://www.TrySyntheticOil.com
    Kevin Stubaus AMSOIL Dealer for over 25 years
    TrySyntheticOil@Yahoo.com
    1-800-AMSOIL-4U (267-6454)

Yamaha 2001 GP1200R W/RXPX Engine in it
    Polaris 785 Pro Super Stock
    2000 Polaris Pro 1200 Super Stock
    Kawi 550 Mod, Stroker Reed Motor

Hell ya! Looks sick

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information