• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hyosung
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Aug 2010

Re: Triple in a 550

about time ! this thing is going , have you looped the hull temp sensor wires.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

sigpic

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Comment

• theVetteman3
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by 123hi View Post
      Thanks! It has a solas Dynafly 15/24 with a TBM super pump cone. Jetting & carbs are dead stock. It’s all from a 96 zxi1100, so non-cv carbs. Thank you for posting those weights, SXR1100s are the main ski I wanted to compare to.

I definitely need to get some time on it before chopping too much stuff, but right away it seems to ride pretty level.

Thank you, Mike! I’m excited to get this thing running right and really ride it.
      Some re-jetting no doubt is required. My brother is running triple SBN 44s on his limited ski. He just adjusted his screw settings a bit from where they were and I swear the thing feels like it gained 10 hp. Even if the jets were perfect small tweaks from what others are running can yield big gains on this specific set up. Patience will really pay off here.

I would also invest in a waterproof GPS if you don't have one. The entire jet ski community is going to be interested to know how fast this thing goes. We got a Garmin etrex waterproof one years ago for like 70 bucks off Amazon.
      1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
      2009 1100 SJ:
      Kawi 1100 build in progress
      2009 SJ MINT:
      KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake, PWR ride plate [47.3mph gps]
      1987 WJ650:
      6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, Coffmans Sizzler [49.1mph gps]
      1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
      1995 SJ MINT:
      Worx 205 intake [42.5mph gps]

Comment

• theVetteman3
        • Jul 2008

Whatever happened to this? Get the tuning done?
        2009 1100 SJ:
        2009 SJ MINT:
        1987 WJ650:
        1995 SJ MINT:

Comment

• 123hi
          PWCToday Guru
          • Jul 2014

Hey, thanks for the bump! I’ve ridden the ski a couple of times now...it’s still very rich, but it cleared out a bit on the second run. I think that the 900 exhaust is choking the engine pretty badly and causing the excessively rich condition. I’ve got a chamber being modified that should fix this. Just waiting on it to be finished and shipped before I can install & start tuning. Update coming on that as soon as the parts arrive. It’s still warm here, so I’ll definitely be able to test quite a bit!

Also, I picked up a Garmin GPS at your recommendation. Accurate speed readings on the way!
          Last edited by 123hi; 10-30-2018, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• hyosung
            • Aug 2010

yea , the chamber could be choking it, but i doubt it would be enough to notice , hint ! , lots more air can circulate in the hull of a couch , try rejetting the carbs with more suitable jets.
            ? are the rubber tubes still in the air box,
            CV carbs or CDV ?.
            http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

sigpic

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Comment

• 123hi
              PWCToday Guru
              • Jul 2014

Originally posted by hyosung View Post
              yea , the chamber could be choking it, but i doubt it would be enough to notice , hint ! , lots more air can circulate in the hull of a couch , try rejetting the carbs with more suitable jets.
              ? are the rubber tubes still in the air box,
              CV carbs or CDV ?.
              It’s possible. Although, I modified the hood extensively for additional ventilation. I’m just trying not to tune against a bigger problem. I want to get an exhaust system on there that I’ve got more confidence in (and one that will result in more power overall).

The air box is totally stock. It has non-cv carbs. Engine is from a ‘96 zxi1100. Also to answer your earlier question, yes the temp sensor is bypassed for the full time 3* timing advance.
              Last edited by 123hi; 10-31-2018, 01:26 AM.

Comment

• theVetteman3
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by 123hi View Post
                Hey, thanks for the bump! I’ve ridden the ski a couple of times now...it’s still very rich, but it cleared out a bit on the second run. I think that the 900 exhaust is choking the engine pretty badly and causing the excessively rich condition. I’ve got a chamber being modified that should fix this. Just waiting on it to be finished and shipped before I can install & start tuning. Update coming on that as soon as the parts arrive. It’s still warm here, so I’ll definitely be able to test quite a bit!

Also, I picked up a Garmin GPS at your recommendation. Accurate speed readings on the way!
                I think I read this at just the right time. I was getting frustrated not being able to find someone local to cut and weld the 1100 pipe for my SJ conversion, so I was going to buy a 900 pipe as a back up. I'm almost certain it would fit perfectly, but I have been hesitant because I know it'll choke it, especially with triple 44s. Or at the very least put me into weird jetting settings. I'm definitely interested to see how the pipe was modded and who you had work on it.

Great to hear things are moving. Interested to see how things go.
                Last edited by theVetteman3; 10-31-2018, 07:18 AM.
                2009 1100 SJ:
                2009 SJ MINT:
                1987 WJ650:
                1995 SJ MINT:

Comment

• 123hi
                  PWCToday Guru
                  • Jul 2014

Back at it! When I last rode this ski it was running very rich, so I wanted to make sure I had a couple of things ironed out before beginning to twist needles on the carbs.

The area I wanted to focus on first was the exhaust. I was concerned that I was restricting flow a little too much by using the full 900 system. For example, the innner diameter of the headpipe to chamber connection is 8mm larger on the 1100!

This can be seen here: (1100 on left)

However, an 1100 chamber would not fit due to the way I originally glassed the hull.

I saw some old posts on xh20 about how Rogue Racing has previously modified 900 chambers to work with an 1100 headpipe and manifold. I reached out to Ron @ Rogue. He was super nice and very helpful. He no longer mods chambers, but he pointed me to Charlie Rennie who runs Mototec. Charlie still builds these chambers and ultimately built one for me. He even welded a bung on the chamber to relocate the water fitting and did the dry pipe mods.

Just for clarity:
                  Previous exhaust setup: stock 900 exhaust manifold, stock 900 headpipe, stock 900 chamber
                  New exhaust setup: stock 1100 exhaust manifold, stock 1100 headpipe, Mototec 900 chamber
                  *Note: You can’t mix & match stock 900 & stock 1100 exhaust system parts as the bolt holes do not line up at the connection points.

Here are some pics of the install! Will be testing in the coming weeks as it is warming up here again.

New chamber: (dry pipe mods done, running a 115 main jet in the stinger)

Got some really cool 1100 bling from Ron at Rogue racing!

Top: Stock 1100 chamber. Middle: Mototec 900 chamber. Bottom: Stock 900 chamber.

Mid 1100 manifold install:

1100 manifold installed, engine back in, new chamber in.

New setup installed. 1100 manifold, 1100 head pipe, modded 900 chamber.

This flywheel cover inspection cap by Rogue Racing is a really cool piece. So much detail:

I also took the opportunity to install my wax racing nose brace & blockoff the front fill as well. Blocking off the front fill allowed me to move the tank around a little bit more during the engine install.

Oh yeah...some of you might remember the triple pipe 3 cylinder 550 that was posted in this thread a while ago. Well...the opportunity came up to buy it recently & I jumped on it!

Comment

• Waxhead
                    • Sep 2002

Im so glad it went to a good home
                    Www.waxracingproducts.com
                    All your billet vintage parts in one place

Comment

• Quinc
                      • Feb 2013

Awesome! And double awesome that you will be getting the snowmobile 440 going!
                      Electric Jetski 300sx
                      Sonic Jet Cafe Racer
                      Wetjet
                      Riding Flood waters
                      701 jetmate

Comment

• PhilthyPhil
                        Frequent Poster
                        • Oct 2016

Where are you in NorCal?i gotta see both of those skis on the water in person.those green pipes are fun to install and remove.

Comment

• barlosbhz
                          PWCToday Newbie
                          • Aug 2015

wonderfull project !!! Video in action please !!!

Comment

• theVetteman3
                            • Jul 2008

Very nice Jim! I am interested to hear your thoughts on how much those head pipe mods free up the 900 exhaust system. As I am interested to see how my sliced and shortened 1100 pipe will do.

Any chance for some pics of the triple pipe engine set up?
                            2009 1100 SJ:
                            2009 SJ MINT:
                            1987 WJ650:
                            1995 SJ MINT:

Comment

• WaveRunner Eagle
                              • Aug 2008

Dead again?

I guess triples just weren't meant to fit in JS hulls....
                              sigpic
                              Skis:
                              1986 X2
                              1987 750 X2
                              1990 SNSJ
                              1994 WB1
                              1995 VHP

Comment

• stovetop19
                                PWCToday Newbie
                                • Jul 2014

How is this going? Just caught up on years of progress!!

Comment

Working...
                                X