Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread: Triple in a 550

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: Triple in a 550

I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Top Dog
    Blog Entries
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

^^^That ski is very, very cool. Aside from it also being a triple in a 550, it couldn't be much more different than this ski. Awesome to see it done different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Waxhead View Post
    Please let me know the colour scheme on the ski we would love to see some of our products on this ski.
    We are happy to talk a sponsor deal with you. Builds like this are what jetskis are all about
    https://www.waxracingproducts.com/
    Thanks a ton for the support! You all will see some wax parts on this ski very soon.

Appreciate the comments! We got some naysayers too! I recognize some recent posts made by folks who said the build would never get finished too...hahaha I love the controversy...Itís also awesome to hear that this build is motivating you guys to do your own crazy builds. Or at least youíre getting some entertainment out of it.

Update...

Hereís how the ebox looks installed, that long piece of turf extending out from the ebox helps hold it in place and adds a soft barrier between the tank & flywheel cover. It doesnít really need it though.

A couple other random points I wanted to mention: I used a 91+ 550 reed throttle cable which worked very well. The battery I used was a Deka ETX9 due to its small size. Everything has to be installed before the engine drops in except for the chamber and headpipe. This actually makes it pretty easy to assemble overall. The only difficult part is the right rear motor mount bolt under the carbs. Everything else fits really well.

Well...itís done-ish!! Hereís some assembled photos:

Obviously there are things that need a little help...Plug wires, a better hood seal, hood breathers, overall engine compartment tidiness, a little extra glass in certain spots + some body work, but it's in a rideable state.

Now for some interesting stuff...Weight:

Here's my dual carb reed ski with 2-3 gals of gas weighing in at 273lbs:

JS1100 weight with exactly 2 gallons of gas: 330lbs...take the gas out and it's around 315lbs. Not horrible since I probably went a little overboard with the tray glass...but I was hoping for sub 300 somehow...

Ok...water test...The good: Yes, I've ridden the ski. I also brought it home, so it did not sink! The bad: The 1100 is sputtering pretty badly, it's like it won't clear out or really get on the pipe. I need to diagnose whether it's fuel or electrical. Planning to troubleshoot this weekend. Full ride video to come once the ski is running properly.

From what I could feel on glassy water:
    - Weight: It obviously sits lower in the water than a 550, but it actually floats very level. The bond line just touches the water all the way around. You can tell that the overall boyuancy has been reduced. When putting weight in the tray and not on plane, it rides lower than a 750 conversion ski. But, the ski planes easily and even though I didn't get up to any real speeds, the weight & tubbies actually made it feel very stable.
    - Power: Just from the touch of the start button, it pulls hard at idle and goes weirdly fast. The ski wouldn't clear out, so I have not even had it in the meat of the power yet, but it has a rumble and initial grunt unlike any conversion ski I've seen. When at a very low speed and snapping the throttle, the ski reacts fast and snaps straight with any bar movement
    - Feel: It still feels like a 550! - in many ways. It's hard to describe, but the engine makes the hull feel like it is still 550 sized, just more dense, but not super heavy in a sluggish or slow to react kind of way. It's an interesting feeling.

A few pics and a quick video...real riding video to come after troubleshooting....

Yes!

Don’t gimme bad points I’m still basking in the awesomeness

Have you got the plug leads wires correctly? That’s the schoolboy error when going front ebox!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Noisy View Post
    Yes!

Don’t gimme bad points I’m still basking in the awesomeness

Have you got the plug leads wires correctly? That’s the schoolboy error when going front ebox!!
    Haha, no worries, you’re good...I did swap coil #1’s & coil #3’s connections to the CDI to use the long wire on the rear cylinder. Plus it idles well too and the first 1/8 throttle is clean, then it sputters after that. Clogged low jets possibly? or fouled plugs? Or a bad CDI maybe?

Spluttering when you’re on the gas is bogging basically

New set of plugs first step!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Great job following thru on this and getting it to the water!

What impeller do you have in there? And what jetting? Remember this is way less load on this little ski than the big sit downs it came with. Off the top of my head I'm not sure how the 1100 sxrs compare.

For comparison purposes my brother has weighed his two 1100 sxrs and the weights are 450 and 470 I believe. Both with rear waterboxes.

Oh and remember depending on how planted the nose feels, you can still chop that ride plate. Would probably be better regardless to get the length similar to the end of the hull. I had weird handling on my pro with a stock length hull and super long ride plate. The ski would death roll at speed randomly.
    Last edited by theVetteman3; 09-14-2018 at 06:57 AM.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [47.8mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

Resident Guru

Congrats on getting it to the water. Stick with the shake down process, just one of the things that goes along with conversion skis. Well worth the effort. Again congrats on getting a unique ski to the water. look forward to the video.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
    Running 42 seconds without cooling? Way too long in my book.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

Quote Originally Posted by theVetteman3 View Post
    Great job following thru on this and getting it to the water!

What impeller do you have in there? And what jetting? Remember this is way less load on this little ski than the big sit downs it came with. Off the top of my head I'm not sure how the 1100 sxrs compare.

For comparison purposes my brother has weighed his two 1100 sxrs and the weights are 450 and 470 I believe. Both with rear waterboxes.

Oh and remember depending on how planted the nose feels, you can still chop that ride plate. Would probably be better regardless to get the length similar to the end of the hull. I had weird handling on my pro with a stock length hull and super long ride plate. The ski would death roll at speed randomly.
    Thanks! It has a solas Dynafly 15/24 with a TBM super pump cone. Jetting & carbs are dead stock. Itís all from a 96 zxi1100, so non-cv carbs. Thank you for posting those weights, SXR1100s are the main ski I wanted to compare to.

I definitely need to get some time on it before chopping too much stuff, but right away it seems to ride pretty level.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro-Mike View Post
    Congrats on getting it to the water. Stick with the shake down process, just one of the things that goes along with conversion skis. Well worth the effort. Again congrats on getting a unique ski to the water. look forward to the video.
    Thank you, Mike! Iím excited to get this thing running right and really ride it.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Thread Information