pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Anyone know rules about navigable waters?

I'm building this jet jonboat and I was looking at a map of my area. I can access the Mazon river if I launch the boat in morris. Assuming the water is deep enough, I'm not sure if its legal for me to ride up that river. The mazon river isnt listed on the DNR website as a public waterway. Just curious if anyone has any info that could help me out.
    1994 FX1
    1985 JS550/650 conversion
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home delagem's Avatar

Re: Anyone know rules about navigable waters?

I don't know where you're from, but generally, as long as the water is navigable, Riparian rights allow you full use of the waterway, but not the land adjacent to the water, other than a direct portage around a hazard to navigation.

The "navigable" test is answered if you're running in it. Aka "Navigable-in-fact". If a stick can float down it, it is navigable in fact. There is a Federal navigable test, but that doesn't really matter for private individual use.

Case law here in NY is very liberal with regard to public use of the waterways; courts here have stated: "held that a body of water is navigable if it would float even "single logs or sticks of timber." "

I think that "public waterways" definition is just used for assigning jurisdiction over it (who is charged with enforcing laws on the waterway).

I suppose if you haven't seen any boats in that region, and want to be 100% sure, you could call your DNR and see what they say.
    '58 Vincent Amanda Water Scooter, 0rpm, 0mph

'84 SurfJet 236ss Freestyle, 5950rpm, 24.6 mph

'91 Jetmate! SX-R 800,GroupK carbs,R&D 26cc head,R&D ProLok F/A, Coffman Rocket Pipe,Impros 13-20,76mm nozzle: 6630rpm and 38.1mph GPS

'92 SL650/750, dry pipe,extended pump,trim,HotSeat Waterbox: 6320rpm, 50.1 mph

'00 SLX,Tau Ceti F/A's,NuJet prop: 6670rpm, 63.1 mph

'03 Octane, Watcon 2318 CDI

'04 MSX140,Impros stage 2 Powertune 14/23,WetWolf,6deg wedge: 6750rpm, 60.5 mph

That's interesting. The reason I'm questioning it is because there's no info about people boating in it. There's a lot of threads about people trying to fish in this particular river but nothing about boating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1994 FX1
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

I emailed DNR and this is what they told me

Operation in the Mazon requires permission from the property owner(s). Navigation without landowner permission is available only on the Public Bodies of Water. For the list of those waters see Appendix A of the Part 3704 rules.
    1994 FX1
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

This is a good thread. I always wanted to canoe the upper patuxent river but it runs through miles of Federal Agricultural Farms in Greenbelt Maryland. They allow road access through the farms but they tell you to " STAY IN YOUR CAR !". I would rather know the law than ask them because the feds have been known to lie to you and deny access hoping you'll drop it.

Thread Information