• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • N4437T
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Sep 2015

SBT Very Bad Experience

I bought an overhauled engine for my Yamaha XL 800 from SBT and installed it in August 2014. There were only about 5 hours on it by August 2015 when the entire electrical system on the Yamaha failed. Not having time to deal with it, I put it off for a couple of weeks. When I finally got around to looking at it, the starter had fallen off, which meant the ground for the whole Yamaha was detached.

Over the next week I got around to finding the real problem which was loss of compression in one cylinder had set up a bad vibration that broke several bolts holding the exhaust on and vibrated the starter bolts off.

I called SBT and they informed me my warranty ran out two weeks before and refused to honor anything. When we took the cylinders off, I sent them to Full Bore, which is where I learned a lot about SBT practices. It turned out the problem was a roller bearing needle had come off of the crank bearing and sucked up through the side of the piston destroying the piston and cylinder wall.

I had a number of emails with Cesar Nieves including sending pictures and analysis and the answer is that SBT refuses to do anything. Under warranty, they are correct since I did not call before the expiration of the warranty period. Their attitude, however, is appalling.

Their poor workmanship came to light after 5 hours and I notified them a few days after the warranty period expired, but give me a break. I will NEVER do business with these pricks again. I encourage everyone considering an engine from them to go to a trusted shop that is more focused on customer satisfaction and reasonably handles matters that are clearly the fault of the engine overhauler.

I rate SBT as a shop to stay away from.
  • Grumpy Old Guy
    • Dec 2003

Re: SBT Very Bad Experience

Really ???

I know SBT is not perfect but a warranty is a warranty.....

Sounds to me like whoever put the engine in did not know what they where doing as bolts dont fall out when tightened properly,no matter what fails on the engine.

I see so many installs done by people that shouldnt even be changing spark plugs much less doing a motor swap & when it fails from their poor workmanship they blame SBT.
    sigpic

Comment

• SmittySX
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Grumpy Old Guy View Post
      Really ???

I know SBT is not perfect but a warranty is a warranty.....

Sounds to me like whoever put the engine in did not know what they where doing as bolts dont fall out when tightened properly,no matter what fails on the engine.

Couldnt agree more. Ive seen MANY of failed engines of various states and none where starters or exhausts just "fall off" due to cylinder vibration or failure... Im not taking any sides here.
      Im addicted...

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
        • Aug 2006

Plus one on the bolts backing out, if it's done right it just doesn't happen, XLT800's and XLT1200's will not tolerate loose exhaust bolts, you had better locktite them and tighten them to the proper torque. There is no telling how many improper installs I have seen on these two boats.
        Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
        hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• Cleatusjo
          • Aug 2014

Most mechanics around here have been burned enough to only go the SBT " no fault" route now.
          '94 Kawi TS 650
          2002 Kawi STX-R 1200
          too much to list

Comment

• pucoa1
            I dream skis
            • Jun 2006

I agree with, the bolts were not put in correctly by installer. But the sbt wrist pin bearings are a weak point. I will not bash sbt, they are what they are. It's an option...

Comment

• don37725
              • Jan 2006

SBT very good experience
              Only bought and installed 1 motor from SBT - a 650 for my Jet Mate - ran great for 2 years of frequent use and was still running strong when I sold it - starter never fell off and exhaust bolts were still tight -I would buy from them again.
              Last edited by don37725; 01-21-2016, 05:26 AM.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
              *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
              ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

Comment

• JonnyX2
                Attention *****
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by N4437T View Post
                I bought an overhauled engine for my Yamaha XL 800 from SBT and installed it in August 2014. There were only about 5 hours on it by August 2015 when the entire electrical system on the Yamaha failed. Not having time to deal with it, I put it off for a couple of weeks. When I finally got around to looking at it, the starter had fallen off, which meant the ground for the whole Yamaha was detached.

Over the next week I got around to finding the real problem which was loss of compression in one cylinder had set up a bad vibration that broke several bolts holding the exhaust on and vibrated the starter bolts off.

I called SBT and they informed me my warranty ran out two weeks before and refused to honor anything. When we took the cylinders off, I sent them to Full Bore, which is where I learned a lot about SBT practices. It turned out the problem was a roller bearing needle had come off of the crank bearing and sucked up through the side of the piston destroying the piston and cylinder wall.

I had a number of emails with Cesar Nieves including sending pictures and analysis and the answer is that SBT refuses to do anything. Under warranty, they are correct since I did not call before the expiration of the warranty period. Their attitude, however, is appalling.

Their poor workmanship came to light after 5 hours and I notified them a few days after the warranty period expired, but give me a break. I will NEVER do business with these pricks again. I encourage everyone considering an engine from them to go to a trusted shop that is more focused on customer satisfaction and reasonably handles matters that are clearly the fault of the engine overhauler.

I rate SBT as a shop to stay away from.
                So because of your "not having time to deal with it" SBT should warranty a motor that is out the warranty period and on top of that, somehow it is their fault that the starter and exhaust bolts, which are a customer installed (that's YOU) parts, fell off? I am curious as to why you kept riding the ski after the "loss of compression" long enough to do all the other damage...if it was that bad you surely would have noticed a problem with performance. Most people would have stopped riding at that point, not waiting until complete failure.

This reminds me of an episode of Home Improvement where Tim's wife Jill drives the car for 3 days after the oil light came on, destroying the engine. When Tim asks Jill why she continued to drive the car after the light came on she said "I thought that if there was a problem the light would get brighter or a buzzer would go off..."

Originally posted by Firebird A/C&Heating
                OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
                PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
                Originally posted by WB1994
                Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Comment

• don37725
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by JonnyX2 View Post
                  I thought the light would get brighter
                  The OP is proof that Dim bulbs don't get brighter

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
                  *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
                  ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

Comment

• Myself
                    • Jun 2006

I've dealt with warranty issues through the years with many different types of companies in past jobs. I can tell you when warranty is up, that's it. I don't care if it's 2 days later, warranty is over.
                    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
                    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
                    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
                    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• Grumpy Old Guy
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by JonnyX2 View Post
                      So because of your "not having time to deal with it" SBT should warranty a motor that is out the warranty period and on top of that, somehow it is their fault that the starter and exhaust bolts, which are a customer installed (that's YOU) parts, fell off? I am curious as to why you kept riding the ski after the "loss of compression" long enough to do all the other damage...if it was that bad you surely would have noticed a problem with performance. Most people would have stopped riding at that point, not waiting until complete failure.
                      Touche !!
                      sigpic

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
                        • Aug 2006

Let me tell you a story, back in 1979 I bought a brand new XL185S off the showroom floor, I paid cash, the bike came with a six month warranty. Two weeks out of the warranty period I was riding it to school and pulled up at the stop sign in front of the school. when I took off from the stop sign the back tire started spinning, XL185'S don't have enough power to spin tires on pavement. I looked down and my leg was covered in oil, I shut the bike off and pushed it into the parking lot.

I rode the bus home that day then took the truck back to school and picked up the bike , a base gasket had blown out on the engine causing the oil leak, clearly a manufacturing defect. Instead of whining to the manufacturer I pulled the engine apart and fixed it myself , thus starting a long career of repairing motorcycles, Jet skis and ATV's.

What I didn't do was call up Honda and tell them their bike was a POS or call the dealership and ***** whine and moan, it's time to suck it up and deal with it Sally !
                        Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 01-23-2016, 02:03 PM.
                        Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
                        hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• sea-one
                          Top Dog
                          • Aug 2011

Lots of loose parts on the motor (starter,pipe). sounds like a an UN-experienced installer
                          2004 Rxp Stock Motor with other light mods
                          1996 Xp Resurrected july 2014/SOLD 2016
                          1991 Kawi 750cc Big pin Twin Carb Sport Cruiser Custom (Resurrected Feb 2015 completed June 2015)
                          2000 XP Saved Spring 2016- Resurrected July 2016 as new
                          2002 Seadoo ISLANDIA/Sold
                          CANDoo Pro system

Comment

• Wet Wolf
                            Top Dog
                            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
                            Let me tell you a story, back in 1979 I bought a brand new XL185S off the showroom floor, I paid cash, the bike came with a six month warranty. Two weeks out of the warranty period I was riding it to school and pulled up at the stop sign in front of the school. when I took off from the stop sign the back tire started spinning, XL185'S don't have enough power to spin tires on pavement. I looked down and my leg was covered in oil, I shut the bike off and pushed it into the parking lot.

I rode the bus home that day then took the truck back to school and picked up the bike , a base gasket had blown out on the engine causing the oil leak, clearly a manufacturing defect. Instead of whining to the manufacturer I pulled the engine apart and fixed it myself , thus starting a long career of repairing motorcycles, Jet skis and ATV's.

What I didn't do was call up Honda and tell them their bike was a POS or call the dealership and ***** whine and moan, it's time to suck it up and deal with it Sally !
                            Back in 74 my "used" cb100 developed a noise in the right side of the engine. Dad and i pulled the cover off and found a loose centrifugal oil filter. The price of a gasket and some oil and back on the road.

Some folks just shouldn't own a toolbox, just be glad they don't have a welder, **** would be falling off of all of their "projects"

Bruce Wolford (509) 280-5444 - Pump Performance
                            http://www.wetwolf.com

Comment

• Grumpy Old Guy
                              • Dec 2003

Not everybody should be attempting to replace their PWC motor.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X