Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: SBT Very Bad Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyX2 View Post
    So because of your "not having time to deal with it" SBT should warranty a motor that is out the warranty period and on top of that, somehow it is their fault that the starter and exhaust bolts, which are a customer installed (that's YOU) parts, fell off? I am curious as to why you kept riding the ski after the "loss of compression" long enough to do all the other damage...if it was that bad you surely would have noticed a problem with performance. Most people would have stopped riding at that point, not waiting until complete failure.
    Touche !!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Let me tell you a story, back in 1979 I bought a brand new XL185S off the showroom floor, I paid cash, the bike came with a six month warranty. Two weeks out of the warranty period I was riding it to school and pulled up at the stop sign in front of the school. when I took off from the stop sign the back tire started spinning, XL185'S don't have enough power to spin tires on pavement. I looked down and my leg was covered in oil, I shut the bike off and pushed it into the parking lot.

I rode the bus home that day then took the truck back to school and picked up the bike , a base gasket had blown out on the engine causing the oil leak, clearly a manufacturing defect. Instead of whining to the manufacturer I pulled the engine apart and fixed it myself , thus starting a long career of repairing motorcycles, Jet skis and ATV's.

What I didn't do was call up Honda and tell them their bike was a POS or call the dealership and ***** whine and moan, it's time to suck it up and deal with it Sally !
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 01-23-2016 at 02:03 PM.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

Lots of loose parts on the motor (starter,pipe). sounds like a an UN-experienced installer
    2004 Rxp Stock Motor with other light mods
    1996 Xp Resurrected july 2014/SOLD 2016
    1991 Kawi 750cc Big pin Twin Carb Sport Cruiser Custom (Resurrected Feb 2015 completed June 2015)
    2000 XP Saved Spring 2016- Resurrected July 2016 as new
    2002 Seadoo ISLANDIA/Sold
    CANDoo Pro system

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Wet Wolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    Let me tell you a story, back in 1979 I bought a brand new XL185S off the showroom floor, I paid cash, the bike came with a six month warranty. Two weeks out of the warranty period I was riding it to school and pulled up at the stop sign in front of the school. when I took off from the stop sign the back tire started spinning, XL185'S don't have enough power to spin tires on pavement. I looked down and my leg was covered in oil, I shut the bike off and pushed it into the parking lot.

I rode the bus home that day then took the truck back to school and picked up the bike , a base gasket had blown out on the engine causing the oil leak, clearly a manufacturing defect. Instead of whining to the manufacturer I pulled the engine apart and fixed it myself , thus starting a long career of repairing motorcycles, Jet skis and ATV's.

What I didn't do was call up Honda and tell them their bike was a POS or call the dealership and ***** whine and moan, it's time to suck it up and deal with it Sally !
    Back in 74 my "used" cb100 developed a noise in the right side of the engine. Dad and i pulled the cover off and found a loose centrifugal oil filter. The price of a gasket and some oil and back on the road.

Some folks just shouldn't own a toolbox, just be glad they don't have a welder, **** would be falling off of all of their "projects"

Bruce Wolford (509) 280-5444 - Pump Performance
    http://www.wetwolf.com

Not everybody should be attempting to replace their PWC motor.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

I bought a cheeseburger from A drive thru. I didn't have time to eat it, so I left it on my dashboard.

When I finally had the time to eat it, it made me sick. The doctor told me it was food poisoning.

I should definitely sue, and badmouth the drive through, right?

How the fuk are some people's children allowed to live, breathe, and reproduce?

I'm rocking an SBT exchange in a 951 XP, and an 01 superjet. They both needed some sleeve matching love, but no complaints. Awesome deal for the money.

...and don't get me started on single ply toilet paper! Gotta clean under my nails every time.

Can I sue for stink finger?
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

i cant understand SBT not giving you a new engine ,"" i recon "" with all the trouble that the engine fitter took to leave bolts loose and for not allowing extra time on the written warranty for you to "get around to " contacting them about the engine issues , that they should give you a brand new OEM engine as a replacement + a rain check on the next engine you need ,you should also ask if they can pay for shipping your ski to their premises to fit the engine for you so as you can be sure it is fitted correctly !!! , might as well ask them to pay the shipping back to you and fly someone from their tech team out "at their expense" to run the engine in for you .,,,
    Last edited by hyosung; 01-24-2016 at 02:01 PM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday Regular

I have gotten an SBT motor back in 2002.It is a 97 gsx 787 motor. Stealership installed. When I got it back it was not perfect but with the knowledge of this site and members she was nursed back to health.She is still going strong and mods being done makes it even better.14 years later with nothing to complain about but my wife.WAAAAAAAA

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by N4437T View Post
    I bought an overhauled engine for my Yamaha XL 800 from SBT and installed it in August 2014. There were only about 5 hours on it by August 2015 when the entire electrical system on the Yamaha failed. Not having time to deal with it, I put it off for a couple of weeks. When I finally got around to looking at it, the starter had fallen off, which meant the ground for the whole Yamaha was detached.

Over the next week I got around to finding the real problem which was loss of compression in one cylinder had set up a bad vibration that broke several bolts holding the exhaust on and vibrated the starter bolts off.

I called SBT and they informed me my warranty ran out two weeks before and refused to honor anything. When we took the cylinders off, I sent them to Full Bore, which is where I learned a lot about SBT practices. It turned out the problem was a roller bearing needle had come off of the crank bearing and sucked up through the side of the piston destroying the piston and cylinder wall.

I had a number of emails with Cesar Nieves including sending pictures and analysis and the answer is that SBT refuses to do anything. Under warranty, they are correct since I did not call before the expiration of the warranty period. Their attitude, however, is appalling.

Their poor workmanship came to light after 5 hours and I notified them a few days after the warranty period expired, but give me a break. I will NEVER do business with these pricks again. I encourage everyone considering an engine from them to go to a trusted shop that is more focused on customer satisfaction and reasonably handles matters that are clearly the fault of the engine overhauler.

I rate SBT as a shop to stay away from.
    I totally dissagree.
    Sbt is a great company I stand behind sbt 1000%
    Who ever installed the motor should of used high temp locktite.
    I warranty is a warranty
    Should of called sbt the day it happened if you knew warranty was almost up
    I have an sbt engine and I beat the **** out of it
    Never had a problem with it and I have over 20 hours on it easily
    js 550 with rebuilt engine from a 94 for the haters

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information