Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

SBT Very Bad Experience

I bought an overhauled engine for my Yamaha XL 800 from SBT and installed it in August 2014. There were only about 5 hours on it by August 2015 when the entire electrical system on the Yamaha failed. Not having time to deal with it, I put it off for a couple of weeks. When I finally got around to looking at it, the starter had fallen off, which meant the ground for the whole Yamaha was detached.

Over the next week I got around to finding the real problem which was loss of compression in one cylinder had set up a bad vibration that broke several bolts holding the exhaust on and vibrated the starter bolts off.

I called SBT and they informed me my warranty ran out two weeks before and refused to honor anything. When we took the cylinders off, I sent them to Full Bore, which is where I learned a lot about SBT practices. It turned out the problem was a roller bearing needle had come off of the crank bearing and sucked up through the side of the piston destroying the piston and cylinder wall.

I had a number of emails with Cesar Nieves including sending pictures and analysis and the answer is that SBT refuses to do anything. Under warranty, they are correct since I did not call before the expiration of the warranty period. Their attitude, however, is appalling.

Their poor workmanship came to light after 5 hours and I notified them a few days after the warranty period expired, but give me a break. I will NEVER do business with these pricks again. I encourage everyone considering an engine from them to go to a trusted shop that is more focused on customer satisfaction and reasonably handles matters that are clearly the fault of the engine overhauler.

I rate SBT as a shop to stay away from.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: SBT Very Bad Experience

Really ???

I know SBT is not perfect but a warranty is a warranty.....

Sounds to me like whoever put the engine in did not know what they where doing as bolts dont fall out when tightened properly,no matter what fails on the engine.

I see so many installs done by people that shouldnt even be changing spark plugs much less doing a motor swap & when it fails from their poor workmanship they blame SBT.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home spitz15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Guy View Post
    Really ???

I know SBT is not perfect but a warranty is a warranty.....

Sounds to me like whoever put the engine in did not know what they where doing as bolts dont fall out when tightened properly,no matter what fails on the engine.

Couldnt agree more. Ive seen MANY of failed engines of various states and none where starters or exhausts just "fall off" due to cylinder vibration or failure... Im not taking any sides here.
    Im addicted...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Plus one on the bolts backing out, if it's done right it just doesn't happen, XLT800's and XLT1200's will not tolerate loose exhaust bolts, you had better locktite them and tighten them to the proper torque. There is no telling how many improper installs I have seen on these two boats.
    Get your Fat Dudes T-shirts right here PM me for details !

Most mechanics around here have been burned enough to only go the SBT " no fault" route now.

I dream skis

I agree with, the bolts were not put in correctly by installer. But the sbt wrist pin bearings are a weak point. I will not bash sbt, they are what they are. It's an option...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home don37725's Avatar

SBT very good experience
    Only bought and installed 1 motor from SBT - a 650 for my Jet Mate - ran great for 2 years of frequent use and was still running strong when I sold it - starter never fell off and exhaust bolts were still tight -I would buy from them again.
    Last edited by don37725; 01-21-2016 at 06:26 AM.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by N4437T View Post
    I bought an overhauled engine for my Yamaha XL 800 from SBT and installed it in August 2014. There were only about 5 hours on it by August 2015 when the entire electrical system on the Yamaha failed. Not having time to deal with it, I put it off for a couple of weeks. When I finally got around to looking at it, the starter had fallen off, which meant the ground for the whole Yamaha was detached.

Over the next week I got around to finding the real problem which was loss of compression in one cylinder had set up a bad vibration that broke several bolts holding the exhaust on and vibrated the starter bolts off.

I called SBT and they informed me my warranty ran out two weeks before and refused to honor anything. When we took the cylinders off, I sent them to Full Bore, which is where I learned a lot about SBT practices. It turned out the problem was a roller bearing needle had come off of the crank bearing and sucked up through the side of the piston destroying the piston and cylinder wall.

I had a number of emails with Cesar Nieves including sending pictures and analysis and the answer is that SBT refuses to do anything. Under warranty, they are correct since I did not call before the expiration of the warranty period. Their attitude, however, is appalling.

Their poor workmanship came to light after 5 hours and I notified them a few days after the warranty period expired, but give me a break. I will NEVER do business with these pricks again. I encourage everyone considering an engine from them to go to a trusted shop that is more focused on customer satisfaction and reasonably handles matters that are clearly the fault of the engine overhauler.

I rate SBT as a shop to stay away from.
    So because of your "not having time to deal with it" SBT should warranty a motor that is out the warranty period and on top of that, somehow it is their fault that the starter and exhaust bolts, which are a customer installed (that's YOU) parts, fell off? I am curious as to why you kept riding the ski after the "loss of compression" long enough to do all the other damage...if it was that bad you surely would have noticed a problem with performance. Most people would have stopped riding at that point, not waiting until complete failure.

This reminds me of an episode of Home Improvement where Tim's wife Jill drives the car for 3 days after the oil light came on, destroying the engine. When Tim asks Jill why she continued to drive the car after the light came on she said "I thought that if there was a problem the light would get brighter or a buzzer would go off..."

https://youtu.be/tc3hB-mXFpk?t=2m23s
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home don37725's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyX2 View Post
    I thought the light would get brighter
    The OP is proof that Dim bulbs don't get brighter

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner***
    *******************Liberty is a well-armed lamb.*****************

**********Lotteries are created by those who understand math**********
    ***************to take advantage of those who do not****************

***************As government expands, liberty contracts**************

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I've dealt with warranty issues through the years with many different types of companies in past jobs. I can tell you when warranty is up, that's it. I don't care if it's 2 days later, warranty is over.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information