Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: 3 Sea Doos - New to PWC

Thanks John. You were correct, it's pretty easy with these simple carbs. Not as complex as a car carb (which I have never tackled - for good reason). I took one apart last night slowly to see what would fall apart and things look pretty good inside the first one. Couple questions though.

1. Does this Fuel Filter looked very plugged to you (I have no baseline or point of reference)? I intend to replace it anyway, but just wondering if some people clean them and re-use.
    2. Does the fuel go into the top hole of the Filter and come out the screen or in the screen and out the hole? There seems to be a lot of debris on the "outside" of the Filter.
    3. Does the Diaphragm (pic below) need to be replaced? I see some wrinkles in this one. I'm going to buy kits ands Needles and Seats anyway, but would like other's opinions.

Carb_Diaphram_Old.jpgCarb_Inside.jpgFuelFilter_Old.jpg

(Let me know if I should start a separate thread for this, since this is the Welcome thread).

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Yes, filter is horrible dirty. Fuel comes in the top of the filter basket, and out the screen. Debris on the outside is from being pushed through.....

Front cover diaphragm actually looks pretty good.

Things to know;

1 - DO NOT throw any old parts away yet. Lay out parts in order they were taken out, so as you can reference what goes where, and mach up to new parts in the kit. Fuel pump diaphragms are one example of multiples in the kit you will want to compare. I would not do any more until you have new parts to go back in. Kits come with a diagram / parts explosion as well.

2 - Save, and re-use the original needle arm spring. DO NOT use the ones in the kit, as they are wrong for your SeaDoo

3 - To remove the screws in the valve bod cover plate, (kidney shaped piece in pic #2) give them a good smack with a hammer, and phillips bit, or metal shanked phillips driver.

4 - Clean the carbs well. When you think they are clean, do it again.....

I have Genuine Mikuni kits, and needle and seats in stock, if you need. You can order on line here;

https://www.watcon.com/fuel-system/c...ikuni-carb-kit

I believe your needle and seats should be a 1.5 for size (you need to remove, and look at the number on the bottom) I have these, and can add to your order. Just give me a note in the comments section of the shopping cart when checking out, with the needed size. OR you can call the shop next week, 608-743-1305

John
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Hey John, thanks for the quick reply! Based on everyone's advice I have decided to buy rebuild kits and new Needles and Seats since they don't really cost that much and I already have the carbs off. I will most likely do this for my other 2 good working PWC's also now that I know how important it is and the fact that they only have 1 carb each. Also, thank you for the additional tips and link to the Watcon site. I will have to figure out my seat size and maybe give your company a call next week to be absolutely certain before ordering (I could not find them on the website - on my first pass).

Yeah, sorry, I do not have needle and seats listed on the site yet. ( I have lots more here than on the site)

Look forward to hearing, and talking to you.
    email watcon@watcon.com

thank you

Hey John, no problem at all. I finally got a spare minute to disassemble one of the carbs far enough to pull out the seat which does read "1.5" as you suggested. Can you give me a cost estimate for the Needle and Seat? I know they don't cost that much (from the SBT website), but I want to order them from your company because you have been such a great help to me (PM me if you don't want to discuss price in this forum). As long as they are not excessive I will be ordering 2 kits shortly. Thanks again for all you help.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Are we having fun scraping away all the goo from the fuel fittings yet? Looks like you've got a good handle on this.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

We sell needle and seats for $20 ea. Please know, these are genuine Mikuni Brand. SBT has their own aftermarket brand, and are less expensive.
    email watcon@watcon.com

thank you

Understood John. No problem at all. The price difference is negligible. I just wanted to check (cuz I'm old and always check everything before making a move - it drives my wife nuts..lol). I will try to get them ordered today or tomorrow.

Are we having fun scraping away all the goo from the fuel fittings yet? Looks like you've got a good handle on this.
    I am coming along nicely thanks to all the generous help and tips from you folks. The carbs are really very clean inside and I haven't found much goo yet, but one of the Fuel Filters was almost completely plugged, so that certainly is a possibility for being the culprit that killed her in the first place. I found out that only one of the carbs has a Fuel pump side. That part scares me a little because there are more parts and I have not really disassembled that side completely yet, wanting to get the new parts first so I have a point of reference for re-assembling. Any and all additional advice is welcome here. I can use all the help I can get. I'm trying to convince my wife that I need to buy a new personal ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon now. :>)
    Last edited by XT-73Camaro; 01-07-2016 at 10:41 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

Welcome to the site! Everyone is happy to help.

I am going to start a new thread in the Sea Doo section for the larger restore project because I have more questions about other parts of the PWC as I progress and don't want to clutter this thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information