Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to repair a Nano Xcell hull crack?

Hit a rock with my '12 SHO. Have inverted the ski in the garage but really need some direction on how to perform this repair. Any info or resources you can suggest I read would be appreciated.

Re: How to repair a Nano Xcell hull crack?

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Need to know where to start.
    Last edited by !_steve_!; 12-28-2015 at 02:12 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

Nano is repaired in much the same way as SMC but some additional steps are required to remove the wax made into the nano material so that something can stick to it, next is the resin, use only epoxy resin for the repair, any attempt made with polyester resin will end up in failure.

First and foremost clean the area with wax and grease remover, this way when you grind into it the wax does not go deeper into the material, next grind out the damaged material, you are going to want to feather out from the damaged areas at least two to three inches past the damage, wax and grease remover again, followed up by a washdown with acetone, I would do this several times .

Then you do your layup with the slowest setting epoxy you can find, why you ask, ok I will tell you why, epoxy is exothermic , this means it produces its own heat to cure, the wax in the nano is made to float to the top when heated, therefore you want to do all you can to keep the heat to a minimum. Tropical hardener is what you want if you are in a colder climate you can use a faster hardener and be ok, at any rate you want something that will take 6 to 8 hours to cure, if it takes overnight to cure that would be even better.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Ok great! Hope you don't mind some follow up questions:
    1. Are there any online videos you'd suggest watching before I start that will help?
    2. Is any sort of primer required before I do the new coat of black?
    3. Standard gelcoat or something special?
    4. How about a spot filler for the minor chips that aren't deep? Any particular type? Sample pic attached. image.jpg

Contact US Composites, they will set you up with the epoxy and additives to go with it, you mix an additive in with the mixed epoxy to make a fairing compound, this is what you will use to do all the finishing work with, I would go with a two part epoxy primer, it seals the area and is a good base and it comes in black, Yamahas are painted not gelcoated, I would use a good two part urethane and have the paint shop mix it up to match the existing paint.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

So the job is done, and we will be flipping the ski back over onto the trailer this weekend. Ended up using West System brand epoxy resin with slow set hardener and got great results. Did a primer followed by 4 coats of black one step urethane. Some rookie flaws in my paint job, but nothing serious and only on the bottom where it isn't visible.

So one last question: Is there any special wax or coating recommended to make it easier to keep clean this summer? It would be soooo easy to apply while it is still sitting upside down!

You can't go wrong with West System it is the best in the business, it is expensive though, any automotive wax should do just fine, apply several coats letting it dry in between coats.

Never thought about how I was going to get it back onto the trailer when I flipped it...here's what I came up with:image.jpgimage.jpg

Back on wheels now!

Looks like a lot of work went into this project ... Hope everything works out great for you
    2015 Yamaha FZS SVHO
    2005 Honda aquatrax R-12X (for sale)(sold)
    2007 Honda aquatrax F-12X
    2008 Honda aquatrax F-15X ( sold )

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home David3aces's Avatar

We flip skis the same way at work. Hope you removed all the fluids first. Even after sucking out as much oil as you can, you still will need to remove plugs and suck oil from the combustion chambers before cranking or you risk damage. Often the exhaust fills with oil and when you run it on the hose oil will spill all over the ground. we use a large tub to catch it and absorb it with Pig mats. Nice rig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information