Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: 93 Kawi. TS Build

With 3/4 to a full tank of gas, these Tandem Sport skis nose dive a little too much. I'm going to run some nylon trim rings for my TS skis. They will fit any Kawi 650 pump, and will be reversable to either trim up or trim down. Got a good start this weekend and finished the front half that mates to the pump. Made 5 parts. I will likely keep 2 or 3 so the other 2 or 3 will be for sale. Some input from members as to the prefered angle. I will make a 2 and 3 degree for myself. I know the SXI has a 3* factory ring available. Would it be better to make the other ones 2* ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ring for the 93' is finished. Has 3* trim and runs about 1/4" to 5/8 " thickness. Fits great and the seal is tight. I'll make one for my 94' and sell the others.

Made a 2* ring also to test this spring. I'll pull the pump and pick the best of four that I have. I'll start with a 2* trim and a 9/17 skat screw. Thinking about a tapered bore nozzle.
    94' Kawi TS 650cc
    93' Kawi TS, in progress

Cleatusjo,

following on this. Would love to know what works best. I have noticed that my ski's issue seems to be with keeping the pump hooked up, especially in surf slop. I don't know if is because of stock/cut out center intake grate or I need to work on inlet tract opening. Have the stock 650 pump with Skat Trak 140-75 750 big hub swirl/cutback impeller.

I am still looking for a donor hull to see about fitting a ZXI style pump/shoe in there (seal vs silicone for starters).

Anyone know why the pump thrust #'s are some different between 140mm 650 styles pump (463 ft. lb.) and 750 SXI (628 lbs.)?? I can see the reason for the 148mm 1100ZXI (803 lbs.) I really want to work on best low end with the 750 dual carb for rolling up to wave and quickly accelerating.

Sincerely,

David

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Nogas, sounds to me like you need a scoop grate to help keep more available water shoved into the pump. The thrust numbers are directly related to the horsepower driving the pump when compared at same diameter and with same impeller. Cleatus, have you thought about taking a TS rideplate and "D" cutting it? That would get the nose up more. If I didn't get rid of my 750 TS conversion so quickly I definitely would have tried it. I just feel like it would help get more of the ski up out of the water.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Myself,

thanks for feedback. Do we know if there is a thrust limitation with the 650 pump say versus the 750 (assuming same 750 small pin/dual carb/Pipe unit)? I have to say that I really like the way a 750 pump (with seal) comes in and out compared to the 650 with silicone and mess.

Sincerely,

David

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I don't think so. Even the early 900stx had the 140mm pump. I have noticed better hook up with my own pumps after blueprinting. My wife's GP1200 stays hooked up a LOT better in choppy water with a scoop type grate.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

This is on my 94... I've only put 3 hours on the ski but this homemade TS grate did work, with the sponsons it handled like no TS I had ever ridden. the 93 has a 9/17. My plan with the 93 is to go to a shortened factory plate, D-cut, switch grates with the 94 and open that up completely since it has a 10/18 swirl and sponsons. Might try the 2* pump wedge I made on the 94' . I will try it all if time permits. I am close to selling my business and calling it quits. Just fired another employee trying to fook me. You can't give people enough, they still want more , and if stealing is the way , so be it.

Dave... You feel like butchering one of those ZXIs and cutting the front bulkhead out of a TS , cut the floor of the step through, ad a piece to the engine compartment, lenthened seat, And shoehorn in one of those 1100 s ? You can put the 750 into the ZXI.
    94' Kawi TS 650cc
    93' Kawi TS, in progress

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Scoops are really for top hook up on chop and to keep the ski to the water To fix botton end hook you need a big hub pump. It really helps your big hub inpeller work like it was designed to. The difference is huge when your in surf or white water are both.

Like self said blueprinting and polishing the pump is a good thing to do also. The 650 pump benefits the most from the mod.

Blueprinting... meaning measuring and matching to the OD of the impeller ? Dont see anyother benifit to measuring and sizing your pump.
    94' Kawi TS 650cc
    93' Kawi TS, in progress

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information