Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: 750SX re-homing, pic heavy

no trailer plates in AL. You don't register trailers and they aren't titled. AKA you have to chain em up.

1481917925269941251-account_id=1.jpg

This picture hurts me. I failed to correctly fix this before paint, and eventually I met a 2x8 in the lake. Karma. Prime example of do it right , or do it twice.

Can anyone recommend what weight or weave fiberglass mat that i should work with? Should i add chopped glass to the resin? Not much glass experience, gonna wing it probably this weekend or next. Should i buy a bit of kevlar to to lay down as bonus armor? Ill have pics up of what it grinds out to when i get there. Ski is almost stripped down and ready for surgery. Broke a motor mount when i pulled the motor out. it is a love / hate relationship with loctite red.

This is the process i will attempt to copy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVLRjxe_iUw
    Last edited by scottw090; 11-01-2017 at 06:37 PM.

Use epoxy resin and whatever weight of material you are comfortable with. I used 3oz mat here. This was my first repair ever.
    IMG_20171101_171127_972.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '78 js 440 superstock PJS 2400 pipe, pjs extended tank, skat 16
    '87 650sx handling mods, skat 15.5
    '89 550-650 40mm keihin, pipe mod, supertrapp, skat 17
    '90 550-750 (project) 750 SP, Coffman's pipe, Factory waterbox, RHASS 750 pump kit, Hooker 9/15

Quote Originally Posted by scottw090 View Post
    Can anyone recommend what weight or weave fiberglass mat that i should work with? Should i add chopped glass to the resin? Not much glass experience, gonna wing it probably this weekend or next. Should i buy a bit of kevlar to to lay down as bonus armor? Ill have pics up of what it grinds out to when i get there. Ski is almost stripped down and ready for surgery.
    I have had good results with the following method:
    * Clean out the fiberglass with lacquer thinner, cutting out loose bits or parts that do not lay flat. Leave enough in place to guide your contours.
    * Patch the area using Marine Tex, make sure you really work it into the cracks and frayed bits of the SMC hull.
    * If the damage is in a high stress area (like yours is) then you sand down the exterior damaged area after the Marine Tex has cured, making room for a few layers of fiberglass. Sand down a perimeter of about 1.5 inches around the original cracks. After you have razed off some of the hull Lay down a layer or two of chopped strand fiberglass mat with a SMC friendly resin. When that cures you want to sand it to reestablish the original contours of the hull and paint it.

Before, damaged in 2 places. IMG_1296-3.JPG

After: Backed by fiberglass, filled with Marine Tex, and repainted. PaintedNose.1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scottw090 View Post
    Broke a motor mount when i pulled the motor out. it is a love / hate relationship with loctite red.
    I almost never use red on a Jet Ski. Blue is really all you need.
    Last edited by Bob Gruen; 11-17-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Bob - You are the man. Marine tex is what i was missing. I spoke with a body shop yesterday about getting some filler to make the resin thicker/more sandable in order to get my shape back. Here is where I am at currently:
    IMG_20171104_153733632.jpgIMG_20171114_175558392.jpg
    IMG_20171114_172904643.jpgIMG_20171114_175217454.jpg
    IMG_20171114_183838226.jpg

So the idea was to use the mold to help the shape. Great "greatstuff" foam sanded down. I have a set of 7 layers sequentially growing to lay in from the inside. Cloth and some really loopy mat type stuff that is super thick. This epoxy is really runny! The inside is where i have done the feathering to increase bonding surface. Hopefully the marine tex will do the trick to get me leveled out and flush on the outside.

Can you get the marine tex at Lowes/HomeDepot? or should I order some?

Big hole aint it?

Capture.JPG

Dayyyyummm

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

That's available at ACE Hardware too.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information