» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

750SX re-homing, pic heavy

Hi all,
    I bought a stand up jet ski. Its a POS.

Actually i bought two skis, and they came on a trailer:

The sx cranked up, but shows 90psi per cylinder, and it looks like hell. is this a normal coloring for a jet ski motor? it looks like it was glowing red at some point...
    :

step one: hastily take it all apart

Found: 1 rat nest, 2 dead rats, 1 snake skin, 3 active wasp nests

these skis sat unprotected outdoors for 3 seasons on the trailer. the mold and filth was real. Scrubbing bubbles = the bomb. Here is the current state of the hull.

Originally I had really ambitious plans to overhaul the hull with foot holds and drop some money on professional grade paint. now that I have it in front of me, I'm skeptical that it is a good idea.

here are the issues:
    1. tiny cracks where the pole bracket mounts
    2. decent sized damaged areas that require substantial repair
    3. factory paint is bubbling/flaking
    4. the deck has a hump in it ()

I assume that the hump is due to water getting in the foam underneath, then sitting outside in north Georgia for 3 years. Frozen/thawed/frozen/thawed = warped
    Should I just go for the foot holds, and have the chance to remove any soaked foam below deck?

See how the paint is flaking off the gelcoat? (gelcoat under, right?) what should i do about this to get a good surface to paint on?

I also took a gamble on some REALLY busted tubbies, think I could clean these up and glass them on?

This could be mocked up backwards, IDK, theres so much bondo and shotty craftsmanship, i cant tell.

Well there it is. To build or not to build. Is this hull too far gone? I will do a whole post on the engine if there is interest. Does it look toasted, or is that normal? clean up and check the bearings and call it good for a top end kit?

Thanks in advance for any advice you want to offer, I'll take what I can get! good advice would have been to avoid this death pit of a project, probably, but i got a good deal on these + trailer, I figured i could fix them both up over the winter and sell the ssxi for money towards the stand up.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Re: 750SX re-homing, pic heavy

That hull doesn’t look that bad and would still be fun to ride. I'd clean it up and keep it as a loaner if you are having second thoughts.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

what should i use to even out the flaking/bubbling paint? sand it, prime it, sand it, seal it? I could get after it with an orbital and take it all off? I don't want the old paint to flake and bubble under the new paint, you know?

I dream skis

Did the same thing ... Patience is your friend. Same yr ski too! image.jpeg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home TheJS440's Avatar

Find and mark all the bad/flake spots and sand them down and feather the edges, then prime well. After that you may want to sand the whole hull to make it slightly rough and repaint the bottom.
    78 JS440
    -Ocean Pro Finned Ride Plate
    -Westcoast Intake Grate
    -SCR Ported Cylinder
    -Westcoast Exhaust Manifold + Pipe
    -Mariner Waterbox
    -Primer
    -SBN44
    -Quick Steer
    -Skat~Trak 16.5 SS Impeller

I reacently replaced the hull of my 94 sx with a 92... it had the same 'bump' in the tray. I could be wrong, but i think its a molding issue. Turfed up fine, and hull seems to perform without any heavy feeling of being waterlogged. (Its a 750sx. I use the term 'perform ' VERY loosely )

sent from my iphone-killing Galaxy S6

Quote Originally Posted by Merk View Post
    Nice job.
    If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home TheJS440's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merk View Post
    Is the covered ski a 95 550sx with stock graphics

That 750 looks great!
    78 JS440
    -Ocean Pro Finned Ride Plate
    -Westcoast Intake Grate
    -SCR Ported Cylinder
    -Westcoast Exhaust Manifold + Pipe
    -Mariner Waterbox
    -Primer
    -SBN44
    -Quick Steer
    -Skat~Trak 16.5 SS Impeller

Thought I forgot about this project? nope. Extremely delayed, but shes moving along. More to come soon.

Here's a teaser:

I figure that I will post updates as they happen from now on, since its actually going back together now. Got the pump drive shaft and pump installed last night:

I installed the pump and through hull bearing so that i could drop the drive shaft in. Next I sat the motor on the mounts so i could line up the coupler. I made sure I had the drive shaft straight and bind free between the coupler, the mid shaft bearing, and the pump. Then, i unbolted the mid shaft and siliconed the sealing surface, and bolted it back down.

Also, I installed some Tubbies. Pretty straight forward install- Kinda wish I had painted them green to match though, oh well. Talk about measure twice // cut once. It was hard to punch holes in the minty fresh hull!

Not sure if anyone is reading this- but I know I read a lot of build threads when I was getting this project laid out, so maybe it will help someone else down the road.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information