Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home PrickofMisery's Avatar

Re: How to teach kids to ride

Quote Originally Posted by leftheart View Post

What are some tips for teaching youngsters...
    Constant situational awareness is paramount.

Quote Originally Posted by kohldanielzimmer View Post
    Don't kawi 550 thumb throttles have a limiter on the underside? I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a nut that could be adjusted and used a stopper for the full movement of the throttle.
    Kohl is correct. I used a Kawi OEM thumb throttle for the first couple years on both Kawi and Yami for my daughter for that reason, as well as being easier for the smaller hands of a child. Simple 8mm bolt to adjust throttle. I really liked being able to adjust it quickly for different riders without messing around removing the hood to get at linkage/adjustment. With a little work they can look real good too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PrickofMisery; 09-20-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaas View Post
    I used the high speed jet as a throttle control when teaching my daughter to ride. I had it jetted so fat that it would not rev all the way. It may have fouled plugs quick, but it taught her while not being a speed demon.
    Great idea TRIPLERRR I'll have to see about doing that

That might just be the best bet to controlling their speed.. rather then adjusting the jets... I'm going to have to check both skis and see if either one has a thumb throttle... cause I honestly don't remember. ..just got them and the kids are so excited to get out...which makes me happy they enjoy jet skiing.. they had a blast on the couch...this summer

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

i felt it best to put her on the sit down (couch ss750 kawasaki with a 650 engine)i had at the time when she was first starting, it gave her a sense of confidence being able to get the feel of how the "jetski' on the water felt IE: steering , acceleration , ride ,etc, after 10 mins on that (said it was boring), so i gave her the X2 to have a go on , after about 10 goes at trying to get going and a couple +++ of dummy spits and a kick of the stupid ski , she finally got going ""standing"" , from then on its all go she will jump on any ski and ride it , even had a shot on a mates tricked up rictor with a full book 951 , i disagree with limiting how much throttle can be used when learning, as this can change the feel of the ski ,
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

My kids are 16,14 and 7. The two oldest are boys, so I just let them rip!! The youngest, my daughter, I just adjusted a bunch of slack into the throttle cable. That way she never got a big handful. Lol. As a parent we tend to think our children are fragile, they will be ok! Give them a helmet, lanyard, approved vest and they will be fine!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

20$ ada throttle wheel. you can move the throttle cable point to where full throttle only opens the carb part way.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Freestyle View Post
    My kids are 16,14 and 7. The two oldest are boys, so I just let them rip!! The youngest, my daughter, I just adjusted a bunch of slack into the throttle cable. That way she never got a big handful. Lol. As a parent we tend to think our children are fragile, they will be ok! Give them a helmet, lanyard, approved vest and they will be fine!
    This^^^ Kids all get the helicopter parent treatment nowadays..
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
    This^^^ Kids all get the helicopter parent treatment nowadays..
    LOL yeah I try not to be that parent.. At 41 I wish I would of kept up on things when I was a teen, maybe even raced.. So I want to make sure my kids have the opportunity to do what they want, I figure I'd rather have them build good experiences and proper building steps learning.. then go balls to the wall, get hurt or just freaked out and never continue and then regret it when they are older..
    All my kids (no counting my 15month baby) love to jet ski except my 8yr little girl.. she is a prissy little thing and just cant get into it yet.. but my 13yr boy.. who is special needs with only half a heart (HLHS - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome) has no fear and loves jetsking.. spins, speed, jumps.. laughs the entire time out there.. he just needs more education and experience.. that kid - you'll tell him only go half throttle.. as soon as he touches it bam - full throttle nonstop till you get on him and tell him to back down..
    my 10yr girl is a tomboyish type and loves the skis.. she was clapping and laughing when I first showed her the 2 JS550's i recently picked up.. She's very smart and I really think she will be my jetski freak..lol

Kids learn so fast, you shouldn't have any issues. Stand up is a good idea though, as it is way to easy on a couch to pin it
    and turn your head to look at something else. Kids get into trouble quickly when they do that. If they try that on a stand up,
    it results in falling them over, and they learn quickly to always look in front of them, and where they are going.

Quote Originally Posted by leftheart View Post
    LOL yeah I try not to be that parent.. At 41 I wish I would of kept up on things when I was a teen, maybe even raced.. So I want to make sure my kids have the opportunity to do what they want, I figure I'd rather have them build good experiences and proper building steps learning.. then go balls to the wall, get hurt or just freaked out and never continue and then regret it when they are older..
    All my kids (no counting my 15month baby) love to jet ski except my 8yr little girl.. she is a prissy little thing and just cant get into it yet.. but my 13yr boy.. who is special needs with only half a heart (HLHS - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome) has no fear and loves jetsking.. spins, speed, jumps.. laughs the entire time out there.. he just needs more education and experience.. that kid - you'll tell him only go half throttle.. as soon as he touches it bam - full throttle nonstop till you get on him and tell him to back down..
    my 10yr girl is a tomboyish type and loves the skis.. she was clapping and laughing when I first showed her the 2 JS550's i recently picked up.. She's very smart and I really think she will be my jetski freak..lol
    Hence the screen name. Hey, I know nothing about you or your family, or that syndrome, but I wish you nothing but the best!!!
    Hope everything works out for you guys.

edit: I was gonna use a kissy smiley, but then people would talk...
    Last edited by whazguude; 09-22-2015 at 04:18 PM.
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information