Largest PWC

Superstore

Collapse

Fiberglass crack? Is it okay or does it need repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZFrog
    PWCToday Regular
    • Sep 2015

Fiberglass crack? Is it okay or does it need repair?

Took the gas tank out and noticed this little crack.. It seems like it goes through but no sure how to test permeability. I but a vacuum on one end and did not feel suction on the other end. It was on the lake for 30 minutes and it didn't seem to take on water.

Should I do a patch from inside?

Thanks!
    Last edited by ZFrog; 09-15-2015, 01:13 PM.
    Hooked.
    1977 Kawasaki JS440 - Sold
    1983 Kawasaki JS550 - Mariner head, Mariner Rideplate, SBN44 w/ K&N Filter, BCW Intake Manifold, Factory Pipe water box, LS Exhaust Manifold, Cauffman full exhaust
    1990 Yamaha Super Jet - 701 Motor, ride plate, Stainless impeller
    1992 Kawasaki 550sx - Yamaha 650 Motor Rhaas Swap kit, Intake Grate, Ride plate, Stainless impeller
    1993 Kawasaki 750sx MONSTER- Factory pipe exhaust, Waterbox delete, etc..
  • TMali
    Top Dog
    • Mar 2011

Re: Fiberglass crack? Is it okay or does it need repair?

It goes all the way through for sure, the correct way to do this would be to grind out all bad cracked glass and patch it with epoxy resin fiberglass, especially with kawasaki SMC hulls. Cant buy the fiberglass junk at your local hardware or auto parts store.

Comment

• hyosung
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Aug 2010

since it is not leaking water ,this is how i would repair > use a low viscosity Kintex epoxy resin with a slow catalyst > use a 80 grade wheel on a grinder and grind /sand back the surface outlined in the pics "" do not dig into the cracks AS POSTED ABOVE """ > wash / soak the areas well with acetone and blow dry with compressed air > apply 3 layers of 250 woven roving s on the inside an 2 layers to the outside , mix some cabosil to a paste ( about the same consistency as polyester bog) and use that to smooth out on the outside >> to easy ...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by hyosung; 09-15-2015, 02:12 PM.
      http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

sigpic

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Comment

• whazguude
        • Oct 2013

...or you could get a good bilge pump and ride it till it sinks, or breaks in half.

Repairing it is the better choice, though.
        I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Comment

• ZFrog
          PWCToday Regular
          • Sep 2015

Thanks!

What products do you recommend?

Found this video:
          Pliogrip by Valvoline epoxy repair systems will produce undetectable structural repairs on SMC and Fiberglass parts found on hoods, bumpers and side fairings...
          Hooked.
          1983 Kawasaki JS550 - Mariner head, Mariner Rideplate, SBN44 w/ K&N Filter, BCW Intake Manifold, Factory Pipe water box, LS Exhaust Manifold, Cauffman full exhaust
          1992 Kawasaki 550sx - Yamaha 650 Motor Rhaas Swap kit, Intake Grate, Ride plate, Stainless impeller

Comment

• ZFrog
            PWCToday Regular
            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by TMali View Post
            It goes all the way through for sure, the correct way to do this would be to grind out all bad cracked glass and patch it with epoxy resin fiberglass, especially with kawasaki SMC hulls. Cant buy the fiberglass junk at your local hardware or auto parts store.

What products do you recommend?

I saw those valvoline products but they cant be ordered without business.
            Last edited by ZFrog; 09-15-2015, 04:01 PM.
            Hooked.

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
              • Aug 2006

Us composites epoxy resin they can also supply you with anything else you may need

America's leading distributor of composite materials. We combine superior products and the industries' lowest prices with fast and accurate service.
              Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
              hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• TMali
                Top Dog
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by hyosung View Post
                since it is not leaking water ,this is how i would repair > use a low viscosity Kintex epoxy resin with a slow catalyst > use a 80 grade wheel on a grinder and grind /sand back the surface outlined in the pics "" do not dig into the cracks AS POSTED ABOVE """ > wash / soak the areas well with acetone and blow dry with compressed air > apply 3 layers of 250 woven roving s on the inside an 2 layers to the outside , mix some cabosil to a paste ( about the same consistency as polyester bog) and use that to smooth out on the outside >> to easy ...
                Lol "do not dig into the cracks AS POSTED ABOVE " Thats a joke!

If you dont grind out all of the broken and delaminated fiberglass and remove all of it, it would then be like if you had cancer and the docter only took out some of the tumor then slapped a band aid over instead of stitching back up.

Ive done many of glass repairs and custom work and know what im talking about.

I normally buy my fiber glass from US Composites or if im in a pinch i grab it from a local glass shop but they are spendy.

Comment

• TMali
                  Top Dog
                  • Mar 2011

Here is some work i did a few years back on a 550 hull
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------

The nose had a crack that was pretty big and i kept discovering more as i ground into it and this is what i ended up with

Got a few layers of glass behind it and reinforced some some of the nose

Also had a few bad spots on the very bottom im fixing up while im doing all this work, i have a couple more to go too. I ground a crater on each side of it and filled it in

Glassed the outside and ground and sanded off the extra

Comment

• ZFrog
                    PWCToday Regular
                    • Sep 2015

Wow! What am I getting myself into!!!

Thanks for info, I will look into buying the material and fixing the hull.. Problem is I have to work with a complete jetski so I can't just flip it and work easily on it.
                    Hooked.

Comment

• hyosung
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by TMali View Post
                      Here is some work i did a few years back on a 550 hull
                      -----------------------------------------------------------------

The nose had a crack that was pretty big and i kept discovering more as i ground into it and this is what i ended up with

Got a few layers of glass behind it and reinforced some some of the nose

Also had a few bad spots on the very bottom im fixing up while im doing all this work, i have a couple more to go too. I ground a crater on each side of it and filled it in

Glassed the outside and ground and sanded off the extra
                      that's impressive !!! LMAO , you wasted allot of time when you could have achieved the same outcome with the way i described above "" then again " ? what would i know about fiberglasing , http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767 , wait is that a rn SJ bottom "" that i modded ""??? ? is that a big pump i see there ??? HMMM , i think you are a bit out of you league here "" young fella""
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by hyosung; 09-16-2015, 12:09 PM.

modded X2 650

sigpic

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Comment

• hyosung
                        • Aug 2010

""grasshopper""" should not contradict """master""" !!!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by hyosung; 09-16-2015, 12:26 PM.

modded X2 650

sigpic

Comment

• WFO Speedracer
                          • Aug 2006

Okay time to chime in here, as most of you know I am a fiberglass master also, the way Tmali did his repairs is the correct way, Hyosungs way may work for him, your results doing it his way may vary.
                          Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 09-16-2015, 12:46 PM.
                          Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
                          hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

WWSRD , What would Speed Racer do ?

Comment

• hyosung
                            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
                            Okay time to chime in here, as most of you know I am a fiberglass master also, the way Tmali did his repairs is the correct way, Hyosungs way may work for him, your results doing it his way may vary.
                            listen here grasshopper !!!! ,i have had good results many ways when it comes to repair of fiberglass ,all it takes is "" logic "" , certain types of damage do not call for ""text book 'google search' repair procedures"" , the repair the OP needs to do is a simple sandwich type repair , the SMC appears to be still sound IE: not leaking and not in a structural area , hence my direction to repair the way i suggested ,"" IF ''' ((big if)) i was going to go to the extremes that "part flipper" had gone to on the beat up old 550 hull , "" i would"" chop out the entire area that was "fractured" , re`laminated a new portion into the hull (using a section mold if need be) , that IMO would be the easiest way to remove fractured SMC , SOOOOOOO much easier than digging , , grooving , chasing insignificant hairline cracks , 4 simple cuts leaving a wide birth of the damaged area , a bit of feathering , laminate ,""" jobs done """.. BTW ? do you like the mod job on the SJ
                            Last edited by hyosung; 09-16-2015, 01:47 PM.

modded X2 650

sigpic

Comment

• whazguude
                              • Oct 2013

I just put cheese on my burger when it is 75% done. Turn off the grill and close the hood. Cheese melts, burger finishes
                              cooking.

I think the OP should learn how to do this, by the book. Removing all fractured glass/SMC is the correct way to do it.

After he has learned how to work with glass, that's when he can make the decision on how/where to save time and materials.
                              We all have our own way of doing things. I personally feel that you should lean proper technique and develope a skill set, and then
                              progress from there.

(boy, that was hard. I didn't even curse)

I may have urinated into my shoe while typing. My toes are warm and mushy.
                              Last edited by whazguude; 09-16-2015, 01:43 PM.
                              I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Comment

Working...
                              X