• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hyosung
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Aug 2010

flag burning

i was outraged to see the Australian flag burned during a protest today .. let me know what you guys in the US think of such an act and what laws the government of your country have in regards to this type of disrespect to your country and its people , i don't want to ask(refer to Stephs sticky) what most Americans would do if this was to happen in a city in your country .. . http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/be...29-gjaml8.html
    Last edited by hyosung; 08-29-2015, 12:30 PM.
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

sigpic

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.
  • Dencaddie
    Top Dog
    • Aug 2012

Re: flag burning

It is legal in the U.S., but it is despised by most. Numerous attempts have been made to make it illegal again.
    90 SN - Short Rockered Project Ski
    91 SN - 735 GroupK B-Piped Frankenstien
    92 X2 - HPT Ported 650 with most of the goodies
    94 WB1 - 62t JetPro Piped Weeble Wobble - sold
    95 WV - Family Ski

Comment

• hyosung
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Dencaddie View Post
      It is legal in the U.S., but it is despised by most. Numerous attempts have been made to make it illegal again.
      agreed , it should be made a federal offence , i believe a country's flag is the emblem of the people and burning that emblem in public should be punished , i know in some country's in the world burning their flag in a public place would never happen because the persons responsible would be publicly flogged or even worse shot .....

modded X2 650

sigpic

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Comment

• Jbat
        PWCToday Guru
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Dencaddie View Post
        The only reason it is legal in the U.S. Is to retire a flag. If a flag is defaced or destroyed improperly it is a crime. However no officers will enforce it, which is pure bullsh!t
        '92 750sx
        '96 750sxi
        '89 & 92 X2
        '91 SC-750 bp swapped
        '07 Ultra LX w/1200 yamaha triple

Comment

• hyosung
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Jbat View Post
          The only reason it is legal in the U.S. Is to retire a flag. If a flag is defaced or destroyed improperly it is a crime. However no officers will enforce it, which is pure bullsh!t
          i couldn't believe the police officers capsicum sprayed the guy trying to stop the flag being burned
          Attached Files

modded X2 650

sigpic

Comment

• wmazz
            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Jbat View Post
            The only reason it is legal in the U.S. Is to retire a flag. If a flag is defaced or destroyed improperly it is a crime.
            However no officers will enforce it, which is pure bullsh!t
            It is legal because it is covered by the First Amendment to our Constitution.
            "Freedom of Speech"

Bill M.
            Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Comment

• hemmjo
              Resident Guru
              • Oct 2013

I do understand that flag burning is protected under our first amendment. I get that and I respect it as a free speech issue.

What I do not understand is why MY, and the guy in the photo, free speech rights are not protected if we want to STOP someone from burning the flag!!!
              2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Comment

• Bob Gruen
                I dream skis
                • Jun 2013

The core of the theory of the United States is "Liberty": Freedom of the individual. In this country you are supposed to be able to do whatever you want as long as it does not impinge on the liberty of another person. If someone is burning a flag and you try to stop them it is YOU impinging on THEIR liberty. You have no right to do so. In fact, if you truly believe in what the American Flag stands for understand that by burning it they are exercising free speech but by trying to stop them it is YOU that are undermining what the flag ACTUALLY stands for. What is more important: actual liberty of symbolism? (If you are a Christian then understand that you are treating the U.S. Flag like a golden calf, which is a no-no.)

Flag burning is counterproductive. One way to try to stop it is to explain to the person doing so that (you and) most Americans view flag burners as nutty and ignorant, and that they undermine any political movement or idea that they are trying to draw eyeballs to. Most people will look at that particular issue and think: "The screwball flag-burners support that garbage". They want to feel "big"; if you gently belittle them, tease, and laugh at them you will make much netter inroads to actually stopping them. The "big reaction" is why they do it (and why the media covers it); don't give it to them.

If they are burning it as an effigy (religious or otherwise) this idea will not reach them, at that point the only thing you can do is ask them "Why are you here?" and point out that the U.S. State department will help them emigrate to any nation in the world that will have them. If they lash out at you then congratulations, you struck a nerve and embarrassed them.

I can't speak to Australia as I don't know what makes up Australia's core philosophy. The only thing we really hear about the Auzzies it that they have "Common sense gun control laws" that we should emulate. (Insert tongue into cheek.)

Bob
                750 X2 build thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=463139
                Twin 550SXs build thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=468310
                Trailer mod thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=467191
                Keihin 3 Jet tuning thread: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=400156

My website and links to my film, The Hobby Stop: http://www.rannugmedia.com

Classic 911 website: http://members.rennlist.com/bgruen/

Comment

• ericstratton
                  I dream skis
                  • Jan 2007

The beauty of a Constitutional Republic is that it protects unpopular people from popular people. Thus the First Amendment pertains. If the flag was his, he can burn it or do anything he wants with it. Even if it hurts other peoples "feel bads".

Comment

• hemmjo
                    Resident Guru
                    • Oct 2013

Well said, point taken!!!
                    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great as of July 2019 (NO THANKS to the person at SBT, who put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into the rebuilt engine I got from them)

Comment

• hyosung
                      • Aug 2010

the Australian flag symbolizes , the states and territories , the people , and our way of life , burning our flag , is like saying fvck you people and your way of life ,,
                      Last edited by hyosung; 10-19-2016, 12:03 PM.

modded X2 650

sigpic

Comment

• PrickofMisery
                        • Mar 2007

Nobody better than Vin! No one.
                        Nobody more situationally aware than Rick, at least not on this day in 76'

Last edited by PrickofMisery; 10-19-2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• wmazz
                          • Jul 2013

Originally posted by hyosung View Post
                          i couldn't believe the police officers capsicum sprayed the guy trying to stop the flag being burned
                          Why were they burning the flag? Did they have a reason to disrespect
                          what the flag represented?

I did a quick search, and it turns out that hatred towards Muslims may
                          be just as bad in Australia, as it is in the United States.

Muslims talk about what it is like to live in Australia.

Islamophobia in Australia - Wikipedia.

In the United States we seem to be blind to all the senseless violence
                          each and every day, and when we have a mass killing, and we don't use
                          the word "Terrorist" unless they are Muslim.

In the United States there has been many more violent terrorist attacks
                          by regular citizens, than by Muslims.

We think (as U.S. citizens) that the United States represents freedom and
                          democracy, and proudly stand behind our Constitution, Bill of Rights and our
                          Flag. But our history is packed full of times where it was popular to ignore
                          our foundations, the government passed ludicrous laws, or the government
                          favored the rich and not its citizens by allowing armed force to be used against
                          workers, and of course they passed unconstitutional legislation that was upheld
                          by the Supreme Court.

Bill M.
                          Last edited by wmazz; 10-20-2016, 04:12 AM.
                          Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Comment

• whazguude
                            • Oct 2013

It burns when I pee. Is that a crime too? cuz I'd like to get that b!tch that made it happen...
                            I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Comment

Working...
                            X