Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flag burning

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

flag burning

i was outraged to see the Australian flag burned during a protest today .. let me know what you guys in the US think of such an act and what laws the government of your country have in regards to this type of disrespect to your country and its people , i don't want to ask(refer to Stephs sticky) what most Americans would do if this was to happen in a city in your country .. . http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/be...29-gjaml8.html
    Last edited by hyosung; 08-29-2015 at 12:30 PM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Dencaddie's Avatar

Re: flag burning

It is legal in the U.S., but it is despised by most. Numerous attempts have been made to make it illegal again.
    90 SN - Short Rockered Project Ski
    91 SN - 735 GroupK B-Piped Frankenstien
    92 X2 - HPT Ported 650 with most of the goodies
    94 WB1 - 62t JetPro Piped Weeble Wobble - sold
    95 WV - Family Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Dencaddie View Post
    It is legal in the U.S., but it is despised by most. Numerous attempts have been made to make it illegal again.
    agreed , it should be made a federal offence , i believe a country's flag is the emblem of the people and burning that emblem in public should be punished , i know in some country's in the world burning their flag in a public place would never happen because the persons responsible would be publicly flogged or even worse shot .....
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Dencaddie View Post
    The only reason it is legal in the U.S. Is to retire a flag. If a flag is defaced or destroyed improperly it is a crime. However no officers will enforce it, which is pure bullsh!t
    '88 & '89 650sx
    '91 X2
    '92 750sx
    '98 XL 1200 couch
    '07 Ultra LX-parting out haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jbat View Post
    The only reason it is legal in the U.S. Is to retire a flag. If a flag is defaced or destroyed improperly it is a crime. However no officers will enforce it, which is pure bullsh!t
    i couldn't believe the police officers capsicum sprayed the guy trying to stop the flag being burned
    Attached Images Attached Images

modded X2 650

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jbat View Post
    The only reason it is legal in the U.S. Is to retire a flag. If a flag is defaced or destroyed improperly it is a crime.
    However no officers will enforce it, which is pure bullsh!t
    It is legal because it is covered by the First Amendment to our Constitution.
    "Freedom of Speech"

Bill M.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Frequent Poster

I do understand that flag burning is protected under our first amendment. I get that and I respect it as a free speech issue.

What I do not understand is why MY, and the guy in the photo, free speech rights are not protected if we want to STOP someone from burning the flag!!!
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

The core of the theory of the United States is "Liberty": Freedom of the individual. In this country you are supposed to be able to do whatever you want as long as it does not impinge on the liberty of another person. If someone is burning a flag and you try to stop them it is YOU impinging on THEIR liberty. You have no right to do so. In fact, if you truly believe in what the American Flag stands for understand that by burning it they are exercising free speech but by trying to stop them it is YOU that are undermining what the flag ACTUALLY stands for. What is more important: actual liberty of symbolism? (If you are a Christian then understand that you are treating the U.S. Flag like a golden calf, which is a no-no.)

Flag burning is counterproductive. One way to try to stop it is to explain to the person doing so that (you and) most Americans view flag burners as nutty and ignorant, and that they undermine any political movement or idea that they are trying to draw eyeballs to. Most people will look at that particular issue and think: "The screwball flag-burners support that garbage". They want to feel "big"; if you gently belittle them, tease, and laugh at them you will make much netter inroads to actually stopping them. The "big reaction" is why they do it (and why the media covers it); don't give it to them.

If they are burning it as an effigy (religious or otherwise) this idea will not reach them, at that point the only thing you can do is ask them "Why are you here?" and point out that the U.S. State department will help them emigrate to any nation in the world that will have them. If they lash out at you then congratulations, you struck a nerve and embarrassed them.

I can't speak to Australia as I don't know what makes up Australia's core philosophy. The only thing we really hear about the Auzzies it that they have "Common sense gun control laws" that we should emulate. (Insert tongue into cheek.)

Bob

I dream skis
    Blog Entries

The beauty of a Constitutional Republic is that it protects unpopular people from popular people. Thus the First Amendment pertains. If the flag was his, he can burn it or do anything he wants with it. Even if it hurts other peoples "feel bads".

Frequent Poster

Well said, point taken!!!
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information