» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding a tach

PWCToday Regular

Adding a tach

Hey guys.

Finally got this thing running right. It's a 1999 ts 770 which means it has just a lonely fuel Guage. I'm not worried about a speedometer, but I do like to glance at a tach. Can I buy a tach off a different 99 770,such as a tsl 770 and adapt it over? Are the wiring harness' the same to be a plug and play? If not, is there an easy way to tie it into a coil wire or something? I know there are other options, such as the Trail tech tto and tiny tach, but I like the oem look of the oem tach.

Thanks!

PWCToday Regular

Re: Adding a tach

Just an update if anyone has the same question. I ended up grabbing a new tigershark guage off ebay for 9.99! Got lucky there. Waiting for it to ship, I started looking around.

According to my service manual, coming out of the CDI is a yellow wire that goes to a 4 pin connector to connect various things. The difference I see is that on a 770 r the yellow wire continues after that connector where as on my ts770, the wire terminates. Upon looking, I infact have a yellow wire that terminated at the listed connector. This should be the correct wire.

I will inform if it works or not.

PWCToday's first Tigershark owner Moderator
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    I can hold up my hand and point to where I live. Can you?

you can always go with a Tiny Tach. It's digital and it also doubles as an hour meter.
    Region 6

Shark Bait
    My race boats:
    1999 Tigershark 1100R (ret.)
    Novice 1200 Stock
    1996 XP
    800 Limited/2 Stroke Limited

2015 Achievements
    1st Place Overall 2 Stroke Limited on the CWA CanAm Tour
    7th Place at World Finals Am R/A 1000 SS
    7th Place at World Finals Pro-Am 1000 SS
    Thank you to my sponsors: GoPro, AMSOIL, Riva Racing, Incase, Shorai, ODI Grips, and Ryno Power.
    Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/TripleLRacing/

PWCToday Regular

I was looking at the Tiny Tach, but wanted it to look OEM. If one didn't mind the look of the TT, then that is for sure the way to go!

PWCToday Regular PsychoSchematic's Avatar

The cdi is set up for it, but you are correct your hull harness wont have the wiring. Youll have to rin it from the cdi to the tach. I ran into this when i swapped complete engine and electrical from a monte carlo into a daytona.
    1997 TigerShark Daytona 1000: Arctic Cat green, hydroturf, Beach House sponsons, TDR exhaust, 16/21 Skat Trak Slimline impeller, 1100R steering nozzle. More to come

1999 TSR 1100

1994 TigerShark Barracuda: Solas Super Camber impeller, Black Magic intake grate, Rend ride plate, JRE Lightweight Flywheel, DG Tri-Oval waterbox, beach house.

I dream skis

I did both, though the console tach wasn't A-C. I used the Tiny Tach for counting off the 10 hours between shaft greasings. It didn't read rpm correctly with the wasted spark ignition.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by rdjeep View Post
    I did both, though the console tach wasn't A-C. I used the Tiny Tach for counting off the 10 hours between shaft greasings. It didn't read rpm correctly with the wasted spark ignition.
    A thought on that... With the wasted spark, both plugs fire at once, so essentially 2 fires per complete single piston cycle... Couldn't you set the tint tach to rest as a 1 cylinder motor, get get a more accurate reading?

I dream skis

The tach I bought may not have been a "Tiny", its been a while now. Mine did not have a setting option, and I didn't know about the wasted spark set-up. Live and learn. I prefer the analog gauge, easier to see on the bouncing water. As far as setting, I would agree setting for 1 cylinder may do it. My little tach is mounted on the electrical box, for service-only type viewing.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by rdjeep View Post
    The tach I bought may not have been a "Tiny", its been a while now. Mine did not have a setting option, and I didn't know about the wasted spark set-up. Live and learn. I prefer the analog gauge, easier to see on the bouncing water. As far as setting, I would agree setting for 1 cylinder may do it. My little tach is mounted on the electrical box, for service-only type viewing.
    Wow after reading my prior post I should not be permitted to post on weeknights after 9pm. It didn't even make sense!

I, like you, much rather prefer an analog gauge. My VXR has all digital gauges and I would kill for an actual speedo and tach on that.

I might just pick up a tiny tach to see if a 1 cylinder setting would work. In theory it does.

PWCToday Newbie

Hey! Sorry to raise a thread from the dead, but did you ever get the OE looking tach figured out? I just bought a 96 monte carlo 770 (and am new to the forums) and have been seeing a lot of instrument clusters with tachs from other models that look about the same shape and size, just with the 3rd gauge for the tach. If anyone has any new information or suggestions I'd love to hear them! Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information