Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 96 XP Pump

Re: 96 XP Pump

Rfi nozzle exit is about 10mm less than the stock 96xp nozzle. 95 vs 85mm approximately.
    96 XP
    96 XP

95 vs 85 makes sense, with a larger hub = less area and presumably higher velocity so nozzle needs to follow. I remember reading something way back, think it was a Klemm research article and when they were talking to Skat Traks brain trust, they said they were looking at pumps not from a volume perspective but from a velocity point of view. I always wanted to design an exit nozzle that worked like after burner nozzles on fighter jets, overlapping blades, open for slow speed punch and as you accelerate they close for a smaller exit, like side by side drives, one rpm but you keep going faster. Next time my pump needs work I might have to try one of the big hub pumps, the inner part of the impeller doesn't do much on the standard pumps, not as efficient as the outer part of the impeller. Lee

Bigger hub and smaller nozzle is less area for water to exit which means higher exit speed. Not rocket science. Actually it is...
    96 XP
    96 XP

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by trm122 View Post
    Bigger hub and smaller nozzle is less area for water to exit which means higher exit speed. Not rocket science. Actually it is...
    Got my big hub pump on last night, rode today. I had to tap out water feed from pump to 1/4 NPT which fits stock water feed fitting & everything else fit normally. I agree with you trm that this pump has more low end "punch" & engine gets up on the pipe easier. I don't have GPS but am sure i picked up a bit on top speed. I am running the stock -024 RFI impeller& getting same 6970-7000 peak RPM. I also noticed this pump is slower at idle (1450 RPM) than the stock set-up getting me less nasty looks in tight marina environment. Turns lots tighter also. Had to ditch VTS for now until I find a specific VTS ring for this nozzle. I'm looking at RFI engined skis in factory parts break downs & do not think this might have been offered on RFI skis. I think I'll have to figure out how to adapt standard VTS ring to this nozzle as this RFI nozzle has the "ears" to mount VTS ring & it fits on OK, but nozzle is smaller dia. & mounted differently also. I also noticed that engine/pump unloads less in choppy water, possibly swirl type impeller or less volume needed in tunnel in front of pump. By the way, is your ski stock or warmed over to pull steeper Solas impeller you are running? At my current stock configuration I'm not sure my engine will pull the steeper impeller. thx again for your input, RoyN.

engine

PWCToday Newbie

[QUOTE=rniederlander;4258482]Got my big hub pump on last night, rode today. I had to tap out water feed from pump to 1/4 NPT which fits stock water feed fitting & everything else fit normally. I agree with you trm that this pump has more low end "punch" & engine gets up on the pipe easier. I don't have GPS but am sure i picked up a bit on top speed. I am running the stock -024 RFI impeller& getting same 6970-7000 peak RPM. I also noticed this pump is slower at idle (1450 RPM) than the stock set-up getting me less nasty looks in tight marina environment. Turns lots tighter also. Had to ditch VTS for now until I find a specific VTS ring for this nozzle. I'm looking at RFI engined skis in factory parts break downs & do not think this might have been offered on RFI skis. I think I'll have to figure out how to adapt standard VTS ring to this nozzle as this RFI nozzle has the "ears" to mount VTS ring & it fits on OK, but nozzle is smaller dia. & mounted differently also. I also noticed that engine/pump unloads less in choppy water, possibly swirl type impeller or less volume needed in tunnel in front of pump. By the way, is your ski stock or warmed over to pull steeper Solas impeller you are running? At my current stock configuration I'm not sure my engine will pull the steeper impeller. thx again for your input, RoyN....

I was able to get an RFI nozzle & you are right, it is smaller than stock nozzle. It seems to be more consistent in area around pump cone & has flow straightening vanes on way out from pump struts aft. Want to figure out a way to ger my VTS back as this steering nozzle mounts differently to main nozzle. I'm happy with how this beast runs.

Thanks for the valuable knowledge from this thread. I just installed a RFI pump off a 2000 gtx RFI, nozzle from GSX RFI to enable vts, and 96 XP vts ring. image.jpeg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Matt Braley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhyneXP View Post
    Thanks for the valuable knowledge from this thread. I just installed a RFI pump off a 2000 gtx RFI, nozzle from GSX RFI to enable vts, and 96 XP vts ring. image.jpeg
    Shoot I thought we covered those things over in another thread

I'm not sure an RFI pump would help me, I have the bronze pump and spent hours years ago with my porting tools making the pump flow and matched a R&D pressure nozzle and got a couple small (83mm) R&D steering nozzles and started boring 1 a half mm at a time till it didn't help then bored the 2nd to 84.5mm I believe, and the pressure nozzle to 87.5 and now run a XO, the X prop would really pull hard but on a good day at Havasu hit 8000 RPM, usually 7850 +- on the RacePak. If I raced short course the X would be on it but the XO keeps the RPM a little more sane. Case ported so what use to be little ovals now look like a bow tie with an older small cutout rotary valve cut so it opens and closes the same duration in degrees as OEM but when it opens it has a good signal the 44 Buckshots on rubber spigot intakes. You may laugh but I put a 4" bilge blower in the intake plastic hole under the seat and it's good for 100-150 RPM, a bud tried it and he swears he got 200 RPM more. I never get tired of riding this crazy ski, except for the premium/C-12 50/50 and with a Factory pipe there no such thing as "pump gas" domes, learned it 2 different ways, 1st by using just premium and 2 by Andrew Buck and whatever the brain trust at Factory pipe name was, they both said no such thing as pump gas domes with that pipe. And forget octane booster, sure it will save you from detonating your engine when you use just premium in a pinch but it feels like you're riding above 6000 ft elevation, can you say "dog"? Oh yeah, MSD enhancer is the icing on the cake, higher compression and you lose a couple hundred RPM +-, add resistance to rotation from advanced timing and no such thing as a magic wand but the enhancer allows you to advance at lower to low mid range and retard at higher RPM and you get some RPM back that you lost from the higher compression. Pops Fishetti says 15 degrees at 7500 if Alzheimers hasn't kicked in yet. This has all been said before but in case someone hasn't figured out search ... better to repeat than sieze, and it gets me motivated to work on the Doo, my LOORRS announcer buddy will be calling the races at the World Finals so I'll probably get to shoot pics from the tower again, at least in the morning, afternoon sun back lights the course on the west side. Wonder what the freestylers have come up with for a new trick, what's left or possible? OK, this should cause enough "WTF did he say?" for now. oops, just remembered why I posted.... nozzles.... I have a HX with a 800 rave in it and tried the same nozzles as the XP and it no worky right, try to get your head around that, why? The best I could come up with would probably be called conjecture, a weak maybe. And when you get tired of the VTS breaking or not working when you finally get in the water, put the HX style screw knob on it, get going a little and you can lay back and adjust on the fly an it no brakey. Later fellow speed freaks. Lee

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

Love it!

Post more, please!
    If at first you don't succeed...

Then you're NOT Chuck Norris!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Love it!

Post more, please!
    Got a new Concord big hub impeller coming for my 97spx with RFI pump. Cant wait to try it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information