Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

'90 Jetmate tunnel removal and hull overhaul

Started with Jetmate that ran over scales at about 200 lbs over dry weight. Left bilge/floor seam separated due to water logged frozen foam. Boat would nose dive bad when you let off throttle, forward wake almost coming up over rub rail.

Cut tunnels out with 4.5" high speed. Foam so wet like wet cutting tile with hardly any dust, just wet slurry. Removed seven 32 gallon cans of wet foam from inside of hull. Removed foam up to the bottom of side compartments and forward storage box.
    jetmate hull defoam 012.JPGjetmate hull defoam 014.JPGjetmate hull defoam 015.JPG

Drain fittings and fresh air duct were separated inside the hull. Anytime water was in these places it was also entering the inside of the hull. These connections were only held together by wide electrical type tape, no glue or fasteners. I believe the seams separated when foam was poured in hull at factory and the pressure pushed uneven on joints. Fresh air ducts cleaned and reassembled using 5200 to bond joints.
    jetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 007.JPGjetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 006.JPGjetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 015.JPGjetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 013.JPG

Drain fitting at rear of hull was cracked, made new fitting out of 6061T6 aluminum.
    jetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 002.JPGjetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 011.JPG

Replacing inside cracked plastic hull drains with stainless steel.
    jetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 010.JPG

Removing inside the hull exhaust pipe and replacing it with new pipe I made going straight out the back of the transom.
    jetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 005.JPGjetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 004.JPG

Waiting for some stainless steel tubing to show up to finish replacing the internal hull drains and water tap for the engine.

Going to order some foam and hopefully be ready/start putting it back in about a week.

Any tips of suggestions for pouring large quantities of foam?
    '95 Kawasaki 650SC
    '90 Jetmate 750
    '90 Jetmate 4-tec aka: Slow Ride
    '96 Seedoo XP
    '95 Yamaha 1100 Waveraider

Re: '90 Jetmate tunnel removal and hull overhaul

Awesome work!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Yes! Very sweet work! You are going to fill in the tunnel right? I think you are the first to do this theory mod, cant wait to see how it works for you.

Are you going with the 650, 750 or 800? You should put in a at least 2" exhaust pipe if not 2 1/4 for future upgraded engine.

I use tall boys Solo cups when pouring foam. Fill to 1/3 with each part in 2 separate cups, just a tad more in the one you will be dumping into the other. Use a drill with a clothes hanger in a z bin to mix. You will have to clean off after a few mixes. Just cut off foam with dikes. Getting a good mix is key to having good foam and you only have 20 or 30 seconds to do so.

keep pix coming,

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home delagem's Avatar

I refoamed my Surfjet (1980's motorized surfboard), the big thing was to make sure the foam was up to temp. A 10 degree drop in temperature would cause 2lb foam to only halfway expand, making it 4lb foam, and consequentially, only filling half as much space as it should have.

I did my pours in small batches, carefully measuring equal quantities. when the components mix, you have about 30 seconds before they begin to rapidly expand, and will overflow the cup. I bought my foam from US Composites. I went with 2 lb foam, everyone said it was too light, it wouldn't be "structural". It's fine.

Have you considered not even putting foam in there? Ping Pong balls? (I did a small section of my Jetmate in ping pong balls, wow they aren't cheap when you need a case!). Or nothing? If I stripped mine like you've done, I'd consider leaving it empty. But it would probably need some kind of support if the foam isn't in there. Something to think about, anyways.

I always pull the intake grate bolts on my 'Mate when it's out of the water, just to let some of the water that inevitably gets in between the hulls out. I also installed a set of Watcon hull drains in the transom, for the same purpose. Obviously it won't get it all out, but on a hot day, out in the sun, a couple of cups drip out.
    '58 Vincent Amanda Water Scooter, 0rpm, 0mph

'84 SurfJet 236ss Freestyle, 5950rpm, 24.6 mph

'91 Jetmate! SX-R 800,GroupK carbs,R&D 26cc head,R&D ProLok F/A, Coffman Rocket Pipe,Impros 13-20,76mm nozzle: 6630rpm and 38.1mph GPS

'92 SL650/750, dry pipe,extended pump,trim,HotSeat Waterbox: 6320rpm, 50.1 mph

'00 SLX,Tau Ceti F/A's,NuJet prop: 6670rpm, 63.1 mph

'03 Octane, Watcon 2318 CDI

'04 MSX140,Impros stage 2 Powertune 14/23,WetWolf,6deg wedge: 6750rpm, 60.5 mph

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home beerdart's Avatar

When my sides were open I layed down some perforated pvc in the bottom for drainage prior for refoaming.

Putting this 750 in that I just finished rebuilding with a sbn44. Exhaust pipe is a straight run and could be changed after hull is together.
    jetmate engine 2015 001.JPGjetmate engine 2015 002.JPG

Can't leave boat empty, glass needs support or it would crush with water impact. Even the floor deck is soft without the foam core support.

I was thinking about adding perforated pipe for draining.
    '95 Kawasaki 650SC
    '90 Jetmate 750
    '96 Seedoo XP

Added conduit between the bilge and glove box thru the hull for running lights and depth finder. Conduit enters bilge left and aft of joystick under the doghouse. Will take pictures of the inside of the boat when it is right side up.

jetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 008.JPGjetmate drains, exhaust, air ducts 009.JPG
    Last edited by bearcave; 07-17-2015 at 03:24 AM.
    '95 Kawasaki 650SC
    '90 Jetmate 750
    '96 Seedoo XP

Got the new 1/2" stainless steel cooling water line fabricated and installed and 3/4" hull drains done.

jetmate plumbing and foam 001.JPGjetmate plumbing and foam 002.JPGjetmate plumbing and foam 006.JPGjetmate plumbing and foam 008.JPGjetmate plumbing and foam 009.JPG

All internal hull work is complete time to start adding foam.

jetmate plumbing and foam 013.JPGjetmate plumbing and foam 014.JPG

Used 24 cubic foot of 2 pound foam to refill hull. This included overflow that was trimmed out to a good solid core/refill. Got foam carved the shape and ready to prep for fiberglass.

jetmate plumbing and foam 017.JPGjetmate plumbing and foam 018.JPG

Getting material list ready to order glass and resin on Monday.
    '95 Kawasaki 650SC
    '90 Jetmate 750
    '96 Seedoo XP

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home beerdart's Avatar

Nice job..

Very nice!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information