Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 jets skis, just bought

I just bought 2 seadoo jet skis (non-running) with a double trailer.

1) was told to be a 1994 seadoo 587 and told that it doesn't run, need the a coil, spark plugs and a battery. I put the battery charger on it and a gallon of gas in it and it cranked for about 20 seconds and started right up. Its been painted blue, but used to be white with purple seat/bumpers/handle bars. The seat is all one piece and there is no vent in the hood. Does that make this a SPI?

2) I was told to be a 1997 Seadoo 587 XP. But it has 3 gauges (VTS, MPH, and gas/oil/tep/battery). I was told this one has no battery and was told it needs a solenoid, battery, and they didn't know what else. The box that has the solenoid in it has un-hooked wires everywhere in it. The VTS motor has no wires going to it and the switch on the handle is missing. The guy said that it ran when he bought it 2 years ago but then the he believed the solenoid went out and him and a buddy tried to fix it. I downloaded the manual, but it has no wiring diagram in it. The parts on google/gauges looks like its a 1996 seadoo XP 800. Is there something visual I could see on the engine?

I also hooked the main power wire and 2 ground wires up to a jump box and then put the key on it ..... nothing, no lights, beeps, clicking, ...... nothing.

Re: 2 jets skis, just bought

post some pics, the reason you have no power is probably because the solenoid is not wired up and the mpem isnt getting juiced.

PWC Sales/Service/Performance Grand Lake,OK
    922 N.3rd St. Langley,OK 74350 918-902-7876

I found a pic of the box that has the coil and the solenoid still all together that is for sell on eBay. I also noticed that the plate that on the end of the block says rotax 787 on it. And I found 1/2 a wiring diagram on google. I see the VTS motor has its own module on the diagram and yes I see that the motor missing a nut. I have a battery that I will put in it this evening or tomorrow evening and will wire everything up. When I took the key off, the nut that holds the ign in place came off and into the engine compartment and the ign fell back in there too.

2 Sea Doos bought. Congrats!
    95 FX-1 YAMAHA
    91 550SX KAWASAKI
    89 650 SX KAWASAKI

Thanks,

Are the MPEM rebuild-able? Im looking on eBay at the cost of parts and kinds confused why the electronic components are so high for these....
    ECU (MPEM) which has very min electronics in it are selling for $450, stator $150, 4 pole relay $60
    But then you can buy a set of carbs for $40 or a set of cylinder heads for less that $20
    This the way the pricing is on these?

Ive also noticed that my non-running one (787) has some oil in the bottom of it. If im reading this correctly, it sounds like my model has a countershaft that has a non-maintance oil cavity in it unless someone has drilled / tapped it for access and the lower end is lubricated thru oil injection? It also sounds like the oil tank / lines going to it are the place to start looking for leaks after I clean the hull out.

I hooked everything up in the box with the coil and put in a battery. I crossed the selinod over and nothing. I found a box up front with 3 fuses( 5amp,5amp and 15apm) I replaced one of the 5 amp fuses and put the key on the gauge lights and fuel gauge come on. The starter button kicks the selinod but the starter isn't doing anything and the ohms meter shows the motor is open. When I take the key off, the start button doesn't do anything but the gauges never go off, so I took the fuse back out. The wiring up front looks crazy, but when should the guard turn on/off? Also should the VTS still have power on it ? Because after about 20 mins of getting down to the starter, the box on top the VTS started smoking thru a corner that looks like it has a hole in it until I was about to unhook the battery.

VTS is toast. usually is due to water intrusion via the rubber boot.

far as start be sure the motor turns over by hand first, the starter may be fine it could be locked.

PWC Sales/Service/Performance Grand Lake,OK
    922 N.3rd St. Langley,OK 74350 918-902-7876

Im sure the VTS module is toast and realized that the VTS motor is actually missing. The starter is defiantly bad, the backet that holds the (+) brush was broken off and the spring that held pressure on the brush to make contact with the commutator was also broken. I ordered a new brush set/ holder. Im pretty sure that the MPEM is toast too. I can get it to power the center gauge on and to put power on the seloniod, but removing the lanyard doesn't power anything off except the start button. I'm looking for a way to test it, but its obvoulsly gotten hot enough to melt some of the rubber coating off the back of the board. I don't know if the VTS module can feed back voltage to the MPEM and fry it or keep a relay on. But depending on the outcome of a compression test and the price of some electronics... The XP might be parts.

Got the starter rebuilt... Cranks good got 175psi and 155psi. So it's worth fixing though looking like I'll need a MPEM and do something with the VTS unit. I missing the trim motor and the VTS is toast.

I may also have an oil leak, I've cleaned the hull out and some oil has seemed to have returned. Is there anywhere specific that I should be looking ?

PWCToday Guru

look at the clamps that secure the lines i would ditch the vts go with manual trim from an hx
    95 hx 787 swap
    92 gmc typhoon
    17 wrangler (oscar mike edition)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information