Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

impeller selection for a 1996 yamaha wave raider 1100

Harry,
    I have a prop question for you. I have a Yamaha wave raider 1100. Due to dirty carbs from the previous owner, the middle cylinder leaned out and melted down. I rebuilt the top end 1.5 over.
    My first question, Is this considered a big bore now? Most of the piston kits I found were .25, .50, .75 or 1.00 over. When I tore down the engine it was already on 1.00 over. So I had to go 1.50 over. There is no porting, the cylinders and cases are all stock.
    So the machine is running great, nice clean rebuilt carbs, fresh top end. everything is good after 15 hours on the new top end which I broke in correctly.

I wanted to increase my performance a little and found a brand new Solas YD-SC-J impeller with 14/20 pitch for a buck and a quarter shipped. Which I thought was a good price. So I grabbed it. While waiting for it to arrive, I realized the impeller listed on Improvs impellor selection chart said this particular impeller was for a modified engine. I do not consider my engine modified. Unless of course with the 1.5 over pistons is considered a big bore. If that is the case, I don't know if my machine will spin this impeller properly for the best performance. Please advise. I am thinking I need to trade this impeller or have it re pitched.
    Thanks!!!
    If it aint broke...don't fix it!!!!

Re: impeller selection for a 1996 yamaha wave raider 1100

Bump.....?

You didn't mention if you shaved/took a little off the head, to keep comp. up.
    You went up about 40cc's and got real close to a true 1100cc, big bore in a way, but not a 1250 yet.
    Are you going with individual flame arrestors ?
    You could get that impeller (good deal) and get it re-pitched for your particular set up.
    '88 550-ride plate,intake grate,intake manfold,carb
    '96 GTX-1mm overbore,F/a's,intake grate,port timed for mid and top end
    '95 FX 1- usually take this motor to 753cc with exhaust porting and reeds

no I didn't shave the head as I didn't know how much to shave off of it. I do not have individual flame arrestors. Everything is bone stock except the pistons and cylinder bore.

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Too tall of a pitch for a stock motor. Your peak rpms will be too low. You cannot go to a taller pitch impeller alone to "increase performance", in fact you will do just the opposite, and doing this very well could cause damage to the motor from being over-propped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyX2 View Post
    Too tall of a pitch for a stock motor. Your peak rpms will be too low. You cannot go to a taller pitch impeller alone to "increase performance", in fact you will do just the opposite, and doing this very well could cause damage to the motor from being over-propped.
    exactly..That is why I am asking the question. I would love to know how much to shave off the stock head. And if the thing on my engine would be enough to spin the prop I have .....

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Even if you milled the head its not going to be enough for that impeller. You need to get an appropriately sized impeller for the engine that you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyX2 View Post
    Even if you milled the head its not going to be enough for that impeller. You need to get an appropriately sized impeller for the engine that you have.
    I have to agree. A 13/18.5 or 13/19 will be a better bet.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thread Information