User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Kawasaki STX15f Exhaust coupler replacement

I am trying to replace the blue silicone exhaust coupler between the exhaust manifold and 1st waterbox. Does the water box need to come out? If so how do you maneuver it to get it out (its very tight). Does the exhaust manifold need to be taken off to do this?

Also, the ski has about 400 hours on it, is this normal for the coupler to burn through at this point or do you think something else cause it? There was a hole almost the size of a dime in it. I found a little bit of debris in the brass fitting on the top front side of the waterbox which i cleaned out.

Thanks guys

Re: Kawasaki STX15f Exhaust coupler replacement

To answer my own question for others who come across this. The answer is NO the waterbox does not need to come out and shouldnt be taken out. It should be disconnected and slid to the back of the ski as far as possible. To replace the hose you NEED to remove a lot to do this job. Remove oil canister, remove airbox, remove all waterlines from the area and pull the exhaust manifold/exhaust pipe out of the ski. Most of the time the exhaust pipe will need to be replaced too because this is what corrodes and caused the hose to burn a hole in it in the first place. The best bet is to replace the exhaust pipe, exhaust joint hose, two metal rings that go under the hose and around the end of the exhaust pipe, and two new gaskets. Doing it this way is the RIGHT WAY and any other way is cutting corners and will cause you more headaches. The owners manual is a great reference for removing the exhaust manifold and then reinstalling it. Remember to check for any obstructions in the cooling lines and fittings as that may have caused the hose to burn out also.

Good luck to anyone who has to deal with this. My ski is only used in brackish water and is flushed every time and the pipe still corroded (just on the top side) in 400 hours.

PWCToday Newbie

Yo Boss Ross -

I have the same issue with blowing the hose a few times and now my exhaust pipe is corroded. Is has not failed yet, but will. I concluded that the muffler corroded because the Stealership had not installed the thin metal ring gasket I see on the diagram. Either way, I will be replacing the pipe because I like my machine to be at 100%.

I would like to do this without unbolting the motor and moving it, I have already moved the waterbox back. I would be grateful for any installation/removal suggestions, tips, etc. I am concerned about breaking bolts due to the corrosion and age of the ski.

Were you able to find a muffler pipe priced reasonably? All I can find are new ones, but I hope to find a good used one.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

FB4XLA

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by freebird4xla View Post
    Yo Boss Ross -

I have the same issue with blowing the hose a few times and now my exhaust pipe is corroded. Is has not failed yet, but will. I concluded that the muffler corroded because the Stealership had not installed the thin metal ring gasket I see on the diagram. Either way, I will be replacing the pipe because I like my machine to be at 100%.

I would like to do this without unbolting the motor and moving it, I have already moved the waterbox back. I would be grateful for any installation/removal suggestions, tips, etc. I am concerned about breaking bolts due to the corrosion and age of the ski.

Were you able to find a muffler pipe priced reasonably? All I can find are new ones, but I hope to find a good used one.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

FB4XLA
    freebird4xla,

What are you referring to as the muffler pipe? I'm parting a ski out and may have what you're looking for for very cheap.

PWCToday Newbie

Part Number 18088-3723.

I just bought one, but am willing to return it if you have are having a fire sale. May need other parts as well.....

We should talk....

PWCToday Newbie

I did mine by removing the thru hull pipe and sliding the water box back. My question is, do the rings need to be put in a certain way? Line up the gaps or stagger them? Thx so much!!

Quote Originally Posted by RossThaBoss11 View Post
    To answer my own question for others who come across this. The answer is NO the waterbox does not need to come out and shouldnt be taken out. It should be disconnected and slid to the back of the ski as far as possible. To replace the hose you NEED to remove a lot to do this job. Remove oil canister, remove airbox, remove all waterlines from the area and pull the exhaust manifold/exhaust pipe out of the ski. Most of the time the exhaust pipe will need to be replaced too because this is what corrodes and caused the hose to burn a hole in it in the first place. The best bet is to replace the exhaust pipe, exhaust joint hose, two metal rings that go under the hose and around the end of the exhaust pipe, and two new gaskets. Doing it this way is the RIGHT WAY and any other way is cutting corners and will cause you more headaches. The owners manual is a great reference for removing the exhaust manifold and then reinstalling it. Remember to check for any obstructions in the cooling lines and fittings as that may have caused the hose to burn out also.

Good luck to anyone who has to deal with this. My ski is only used in brackish water and is flushed every time and the pipe still corroded (just on the top side) in 400 hours.

Thread Information