Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Seadoo crank question

I need to get a crank for my 717/720. I've taken apart several SBT engines due to failed "China" crank bearings. Are you currently using those, or have you switched to a "Nachi" or other brand?
    Last edited by Myself; 06-22-2015 at 01:53 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Re: Seadoo crank question

SBT has used Nachi, Peer, and other bearings from various manufacturing plants (Nachi builds in China and other locations, Peer in China and Brazil, others throughout the world) when we’ve had supply issues. What we’ve found is performance of bearings is tied to quality control, not manufacturing site or manufacturer. SBT is able to control our suppliers bearing quality whereas we have little control of other manufacturers (case in point, with some of the previous mentioned suppliers we had found issues, documented the issues, were forced into 100% sorting and then were told their data said they were fine and to pound sand – we tossed shipments of bearings since we could not get them corrected).

So to answer your question we use our own suppliers, have an incoming quality department that inspects every batch, and have shipped over 1 million bearings. We are very confident in our bearings.

It is far more likely that the failures were due to fuel/oil/water issues leading to bearing failure and the bearing manufacturers/manufacture locations were not a factor. If they were we would see a rash of warranty for bearing failures from the volume of bearings we use. We have not. In fact our cranks are used by various high performance shops because they have confidence in our cranks/bearings (they buy cranks and parts since our engines are OEM replacement power and they are building higher powered engines).

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: Seadoo crank question

Thank you for the reply. I have used too many of your parts over the last 10 years to count. In fact, almost all parts sent to the Gassville, AR location are for me which includes the latest Yamaha 800 stuff. I also have had no issues thus far. I was just worried as two different motors I've torn down recently were both low hours since the installation of the engine (not by me) and they were past the warranty period. Both had bearing failures, one with a cage coming apart and thrashing a piston and cylinder, the other with a vibration that turned out to be a fractured race that had not come apart yet.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thread Information