Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    PWCToday Newbie

Re: 650sx NO SPARK - FRUSTRATED!

Hi. I've been battling the no spark syndrome on my 650SX. Following the tips in this thread, I believe my problem is in the exciter coil and/or the magnets. Resistance on the exciter and charging coils checked within spec, but the AC voltage check between the black/red and black/yellow wires was 16, not 25-30VAC. Is that an indicator of weak magnets? If so, what are my options? If not, what else can I do? I've ruled out stop switch, spark plugs , CDI box. Thanks.

Not sure how you ruled things out, and I'm not questioning your mechanical abilities, but I would be very careful in ruling anything out with 100% certainty. When was the last time it ran? Does it have spark, then lose it, or not at all?

PWCToday Newbie

It's been 2 years since it ran last. Stopped running due to what we thought at the time was carburetor related. Rebuilt the carb but could never get it tuned in properly, then summer ended and it sat for a year. Now trying to revive it. I have pulled the fly wheel and cleaned up the magnets on both the coils and the flywheels. I have a brand new CDI box. I re-checked for spark again just now. I'm getting a good spark on one lead. Using the same spark plug on the other lead, the spark is very weak, hardly visible. Then after a couple cranks, I don't see any spark. The AC voltage is still reading 16.

I had an old starter that haunted me for about 3 years. Ski would start great, but if it died while riding better flag a boat down and get towed in.

During Covid I rebuilt an engine using a SP no stamp top end, and a BP bottom end and crank. I reused the old starter. NO spark. I bought a used OEM one and bam had spark. My conclusion is the old starter drew too much amps and killed the CDI spark.
    1986 300- Kerker / SBN / Solas
    1989 SX - SP / Coffman / SXR
    1991 SX - Coffman / Solas
    1994 TS - OP Ride Plate / Solas

I would guess a bad coil. Heat expansion will create a short in a bad coil, causing you to lose spark after a short period. My 650sx would run for 10 minutes then die, eventually getting to the point where it would not run at all. I've had several other skis with bad coils, all would exhibit similar intermittent sprk issues. I don't think it would be money wasted to replace both coils. I don't think it is a flywheel issue, partly because I have never seen one go bad. Whatever you come up with, do everyone a favor and share what worked or didn't. It will help the next guy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information