Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

yamaha waveblaster taking on water.

I just bought a 95 blaster. First time out No big issues. Little water in hull but seemed do drain out. Next time ran up a lake about 20 mins. Chilled on beach. Driver around a bit more and there was lots of water in hall. Ended up with lots in the engine had to take plugs out and shoot it all out turning it over. Got it started but have not had it back in water yet. Where could the water get in the engine?

PWCToday Newbie 96 Raider in NC's Avatar

Re: yamaha waveblaster taking on water.

Man I had this same issue on my Raider two seasons ago. Could be crack in hull somewhere or bilge pump not working right. Take a flashlight at night in the hull and look underneath for any light leaks.

My issue was drain plugs not sealing right. I ordered new drain plugs from EBay dealer and that fixed mine taking on water but I still get paranoid and stop and check now and again.

I took on water all the way over engine and about sunk mine had to tow in but did same thing as you, pulled plugs shot all water out and got it back out. I thought it was water locked but it ran fine but sounded a little different than before.

Try your drain plugs and make sure you are really tightening those down before you head out. It can't hurt to buy some new ones for around $15. I would try that and check after riding for about 30 mins.

Also forgot to mention you said first time out it did great little water in hull. That is normal and you should see a little on bottom.

My Dads ski started taking on water last season for no reason we beached ours a few times. He likes to ride the banks and I always warn him too stay off banks due to trash. Sure enough we pulled ski back in and he had sucked up plastic bag. We got it out and water started to go down and drain out. Make sure nothing is clogging the jet and look under hull at intake grate and make sure no blockage there.

Hope you get it worked out but strange that you said did fine first time out. I'm betting it has something to do with drain plugs.

Check your incoming water line. My bro in law's flush kit tee broke and instead of cooling the motor, it was filling the hull with water fast. He rode it half way around the lake and the hull was 1/2 filled with h2o.

Another thing to check is where the steering and reverse cables exit the hull in the rear. There are plastic nuts and rubber plugs that seal the cables. I had the same thing happen on my venture, turns out where the reverse cable exited the rear of the hull, there was no nut back there and was allowing water in. If in doubt seal with silicone.

Have this same issue. My plugs are tight in the rear, I filled it up with water and checked no leaks under the hull. Mine only fills up when it its sitting, not when I ride it. Still working on it.
    1993 701 SuperJet - PATRIOT SKI
    1994 Yamaha Waveblaster 2nd Owner
    1986 Kawasaki JS550 - Yamasaki 650 Conversion
    1987 Kawasaki 300sx - Group K Mod
    1990 Kawi 550sx
    - "Ol' Reliable." Caught on fire, sunk, whereabouts UNKNOWN.
    JetLark Mini Boat - Build Thread

We had a cooling jacket on the cylinder in our WB crack two seasons ago, filled the hull with water in a hurry. Maybe run on a hose and just take a quick look to make sure there are no cracks?

Thread Information