What's fair for dealer prep and freight?
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's fair for dealer prep and freight?

I want to buy a 2015 Yamaha VXR and so far the dealers I have spoken to in California seem to want to rape me with "dealer prep" and freight charges. Something like $2500 on top of sale price, tax and license. I had one dealer ask me though, "What number where you thinking?" and that got me thinking because I don't have a number in mind and I don't know what's fair to pay for this stuff.

Keep in mind, nearly all the dealers in California so far don't even want to stock this boat so it's a special order and not moving something off their sales floor. I'm also not willing to wait until the end of the season to get a great deal and I realize you can get better prices in the fall. What have other people been paying for these charges in the last year or so? I'm trying to put together a reasonable offer to them and shop it around.

Thanks for your help!!
    "Beer, the cause of and solution to, all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Re: What's fair for dealer prep and freight?

$0 for freight and $150 for prep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home freekstyle's Avatar

If you want to come to Utah I am sure we could get you a deal. What color? Trailer or not? Extended warranty?
    Last edited by freekstyle; 05-17-2015 at 01:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freekstyle View Post
    If you want to come to Utah I am sure we could get you a deal. What color? Trailer or not? Extended warranty?
    Utah is a little far, but maybe you can help me here. You must be a dealer, correct? So, as a dealer, is it more attractive to work a deal if I finance the boat vs. just pay cash? I have the money to just pay cash, but I see that Yamaha is offering 2.99% financing and if this makes the sale more attractive to the dealer, I have no problem financing. I don't need a trailer and I think Yamaha throws in an extended warranty if I finance with them.

$200 and they can divide it between the two how ever they want. Only takes a tech 30min to get stuff ready.
    '96 Suuuperjet: 84mm 61x, ported, B-pipe, Dual 44's, Newmiller head 220psi w/girdle, Skat big hub, footholds, AMG green hell mango matte.
    '95 Raider 701: Fiberglass not SMC, Hydrotrailer hitch, ugly purple and yellow everywhere.

30 minutes, huh? I would hate to buy one of your half azz projects. The battery needs to sit at least 30 min after being filled with acid. That is 30 min right there before you can even charge the battery. You need to dig it out of the stack with the forklift, uncover the plastic wrap, wash off dust/debris to avoid any scratches during assembly, uncrate it, pickup with hoist/forklift, set onto a cart, haul out crate/packaging, remove remote from transmitter, install handlebars, grips, controls, handlebar cover, storage cover and mirrors. Then you need to check steering cable alignment, trim cable if equipped, install battery after fully charged, make battery cable routing/connections correctly, grease midshaft. Now it is time to check the transmitter/remote operation, hook up water, fire it up, turn on water, check for leaks, run for at least 10 minutes, let it set for at least 5 minutes, check oil, adjust level if needed, run and check again. Once all of that bs is done then you need to fill out the PDI sheet, wash and polish machine. Then once it is sold it is repolished, the PDI is filled out after walk through/explanation to customer about the new unit, answer any questions they may have, setup a new trailer/adjust the current trailer for the new machine, tie down correctly, and shake and congratulate the new owner. I am sure I may be forgeting a few steps, like factoring in the salesmans time, the F and I guys time, printer ink, contract/deal paper, lights and power, building space, and any flooring that may have occured.

I am sure it takes more than a half hour to get "stuff" ready, but maybe your hack job only takes 1/2 hour. There is many factors in what goes on behind the scenes, that people just chalk up as the "stealership" at it again. If you have no clue it is better to just be quiet. If everthing at a dealer only took 5 minutes like every customer thinks then why did they even bring it in. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but do a little research before you open your mouth.

Sorry, there is my daily rant. LMK if you need some help, we are close to SLC and do take longer than 30 min to put "stuff" together.
    Last edited by freekstyle; 05-17-2015 at 07:51 PM.

do you have to sit and wait the whole 30 mins after filling with acid or can you go work on something else or do you just charge that 30 min as wait and stare at the battery time
    See di46 drink......See di46 drive......Don't be a di46......

Quote Originally Posted by freekstyle View Post
    30 minutes, huh? I would hate to buy one of your half azz projects. The battery needs to sit at least 30 min after being filled with acid. That is 30 min right there before you can even charge the battery. You need to dig it out of the stack with the forklift, uncover the plastic wrap, wash off dust/debris to avoid any scratches during assembly, uncrate it, pickup with hoist/forklift, set onto a cart, haul out crate/packaging, remove remote from transmitter, install handlebars, grips, controls, handlebar cover, storage cover and mirrors. Then you need to check steering cable alignment, trim cable if equipped, install battery after fully charged, make battery cable routing/connections correctly, grease midshaft. Now it is time to check the transmitter/remote operation, hook up water, fire it up, turn on water, check for leaks, run for at least 10 minutes, let it set for at least 5 minutes, check oil, adjust level if needed, run and check again. Once all of that bs is done then you need to fill out the PDI sheet, wash and polish machine. Then once it is sold it is repolished, the PDI is filled out after walk through/explanation to customer about the new unit, answer any questions they may have, setup a new trailer/adjust the current trailer for the new machine, tie down correctly, and shake and congratulate the new owner. I am sure I may be forgeting a few steps, like factoring in the salesmans time, the F and I guys time, printer ink, contract/deal paper, lights and power, building space, and any flooring that may have occured.

I am sure it takes more than a half hour to get "stuff" ready, but maybe your hack job only takes 1/2 hour. There is many factors in what goes on behind the scenes, that people just chalk up as the "stealership" at it again. If you have no clue it is better to just be quiet. If everthing at a dealer only took 5 minutes like every customer thinks then why did they even bring it in. I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but do a little research before you open your mouth.

Sorry, there is my daily rant. LMK if you need some help, we are close to SLC and do take longer than 30 min to put "stuff" together.
    So, back to my little problem. It sounds like what, maybe 3 hours of shop time? @100 per hour maybe $300 is fair for the dealer prep portion of the OTD price? What about freight. What does the factory, or freight company typically charge you?

It does take some time, but we do not charge by the hour on setup. The setup fee is determined by Yamaha. If a dealer is chargeing you something different that is the dealers doing. Thanks for your post RX2 that you already know the answer to. I appreciate people just posting to be a di46. Fill it and move onto something else. You know what I mean, dont be a di46. I was just trying to let people understnd what you actually have to do. It just bothers me that everyone thinks all projects are just 5 minutes. People/customers that have zero experiance are suddenly telling you how long and what price something should be. Sorry to post in this thread, I will let it be. It sounds like the other 2 have it figured out. I apologize for any problems my post started in your thread. Good luck on the new ski.
    Last edited by freekstyle; 05-17-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Attention ***** PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JonnyX2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
    So, back to my little problem. It sounds like what, maybe 3 hours of shop time? @100 per hour maybe $300 is fair for the dealer prep portion of the OTD price? What about freight. What does the factory, or freight company typically charge you?
    I don't care how you look at it, $2500 is extremely excessive for freight and prep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird A/C&Heating View Post
    OMG.....Rules for 550 vintage ski class...550 ski riders do not conform to any kind of rules. That is why you are riding a 550 ski in the first place. Rules suck....
    PS...the rule book will be in my 550 pump
    Quote Originally Posted by WB1994
    Listen , stop your cryin' , its only an X2.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information