User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What's fair for dealer prep and freight?

Each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
    I want to buy a 2015 Yamaha VXR and so far the dealers I have spoken to in California seem to want to rape me with "dealer prep" and
    freight charges. Something like $2500 on top of sale price, tax and license.
    When I started working as a mechanic, Kawasaki paid the dealer about $35.00 to set up a KZ1000, and a jet ski.

Even when the set-up fee was near $45.00, salesman would have contests to see who could charge the greatest
    amount $$$ for something that Kawasaki paid for, by discounting the dealers price.

Quote Originally Posted by DaV8or View Post
    Keep in mind, nearly all the dealers in California so far don't even want to stock this boat so it's a special order and not moving something off their sales floor.
    Set-up fees are a catch all for any hassle, extra work, and possibly flooring charges (interest payments) the dealer
    acquired before selling it to the customer.

Bill M.

The bottom line according to the dealer is: If you agree to a contract with the high "dealer prep" fees, then everything
    is OK. BM
    Last edited by wmazz; 05-18-2015 at 12:47 AM.
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

PWCToday Regular

I'm a numbers guy (But I don't know exact prices) so here I go all numbers based on a rate of an employee making $25...

So the ski gets received when a shipment comes in. We'll say an hour to unload uncrate move and a few times before it come to its final resting place. Now your buy the ski... 4 hours for a pdi plus 3 hours of paper work between sales and accounting. Puts you at 8 hours or $200. So add in freight of say $500 and we will round up to a grand total of $700.

Lets go at it another way I'm in Canada so I don't know final US dollar sale prices but say a ski has a purchase price of $10 000. $2500 in extra fees is a 25% add on to the the purchase price. When the math says it should be $1800 less. $1800 is a large unneeded markup to buy a ski.

Some food for thought.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home wmazz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What is wrong with a 2014???
    Horsepower == Speed, RPM != Speed

Quote Originally Posted by wmazz View Post
    What is wrong with a 2014???
    The 2015 is all new and not really the same boat. To me the new Ride feature and the improvements to the hull are worth the extra money.
    "Beer, the cause of and solution to, all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by freekstyle View Post
    30 minutes, huh? I would hate to buy one of your half azz projects. but maybe your hack job only takes 1/2 hour.
    Wow, love the hatred sent my way. Yes, at the dealership I worked for it took 30min to prep a vehicle. For a vehicle to get to the dealership, its already out of the crate, the battery is filled, the accesorys are attached. The tech at the dealership might need to charge the batt, fill with fluids, and make sure it runs correctly.
    I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but do a little research before you open your mouth
    That applys to you as well before you start spoutin off talking sh*t for no reason.
    '96 Suuuperjet: 84mm 61x, ported, B-pipe, Dual 44's, Newmiller head 220psi w/girdle, Skat big hub, footholds, AMG green hell mango matte.
    '95 Raider 701: Fiberglass not SMC, Hydrotrailer hitch, ugly purple and yellow everywhere.

Thanks to all who responded in this thread! In the end I was able to negotiate reasonable deal (in my mind anyhow considering the newness, scarcity and time of season) with the local dealer. Basically MSRP + 900, but they are giving me a new cover with it. It's not a great deal, it's just a regular deal, but at least I get to pick up my new ski tomorrow and enjoy it this summer and not next.

Now, anybody wanna buy a 2004 Kawasaki STX-15F with about 430 hours on it??
    "Beer, the cause of and solution to, all of life's problems." - Homer Simpson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information