Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Re: 96 yamaha 64x engine rebuild attempt. (yamaha 760 wave raider).

Who does this group K rebuild sounds interesting.

PWCToday Regular

http://www.groupk.com/

does this help ?

PWCToday Regular

Does anyone have a write up or short video link of putting the heads back over the pistons and assembling without screwing up the piston rings its a little more tricky than I thought and I don't want to wing it and screw something up and I also still want to do it myself.

PWCToday Regular

when i put my cylinders back on to send back to SBT I kept having trouble with one ring not wanting to play nice and i had help. it would be ideal if you had 2 people helping so they could focus on each piston and make sure rings are in grooves correctly. just go slow and don't force anything.

There may be a video, but there is no special tool that I know of. You just have to be careful and pay close attention to the rings as you ease them in. Once everything is seated and bolted together access the rings through the exhaust port. Push on each one with a small dowel or screwdriver tip covered with a rag. You should be able to push each ring into the groove, and it should spring back out. This ensures you don't have a ring bound up. It helps to have an extra set of hands also.

PWCToday Regular

ill have to drag the ol lady outa the house I guess

PWCToday Regular

I'm missing a locator pin on the top piston ring just on one can I get a replacement is it that neccesary etc? What's my best option and whats a good method to lube everything before I put it together since its been out and dry?

It is very necessary. It keeps the ring from rotating and the ring ends from snagging on a port. If possible, you need to find it. It may have blown out through the exhaust through. You were VERY lucky you didn't destroy the engine! And sadly, there is no fix that I know of. You must buy a piston. If you found it, and reinstalled it, I wouldn't trust it. As far as lubing everything, just coat everything very liberally. Also, put some oil through the crankcase holes that feed the crank bearings. These holes are in the case, under the pistons.
    Last edited by butterbean_29512; 05-30-2015 at 11:43 AM.

also zip ties can help keep the rings in place while you slide the cylinder on.. as it goes on they just slide out of the way

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Does anyone have a write up or short video link of putting the heads back over the pistons and assembling without screwing up the piston rings its a little more tricky than I thought and I don't want to wing it and screw something up and I also still want to do it myself.
    I used hose clamps when I re assembled my 1100 triple. Make sure your rings are in the correct position and tighten the hose clamp to compress the rings. Put a clamp on each piston. get your middle piston at the end of its stroke. The hose clamps should be tight enough to compress the rings but loose enough to slide down when you slide the cylinders down the piston. then put the other pistons in. When the clamp slides down and is loose around the rod, just loosen the screw all the way and remove the clamp. It worked awesome for me. I tried for several hours with my old lady trying to help...I took a break to eat lunch because I was getting angry and ready to start throwing tools....lol...then while having a sandwich I was thinking what I could use. I had a ring compressor but it is too big for that application.... Then it dawned on my to try a hose clamp. It is basically just a smaller ring compressor....I took a run to Lowes for the hose clamps and when I got back had all three pistons back in the cylinders in 10 minutes....hose clamps worked great !!!!
    If it aint broke...don't fix it!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information