Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Re: 96 yamaha 64x engine rebuild attempt. (yamaha 760 wave raider).

I ordered a sbt top end rebuild kit I guess I'll just use gasket sealer form auto zone. I'll take some pictures of the top end rebuild and post as I go maybe it will help someone down the road. So far there hasn't been anything to hard about the rebuild.

these are relativly simple builds just make sure you keep the case bolts in the right spots some are slightly longer than others, and for good reason.

PWC Sales/Service/Performance Grand Lake,OK
    922 N.3rd St. Langley,OK 74350 918-902-7876

That engine looks to have been taken good care of! My first 760 had a blown rear cylinder. My second one was junk...had to replace cases, head, crank, and cylinder exchange from SBT. So its basically new now....runs great. I'd suggest getting your carb kits from OSDParts.com. They sell a genuine mikuni kit for all engine configurations. Comes with everything you need. Does have aftermarket needle and seats though, although I have not had a problem with them.

Use threebond 1211 for the case mating surfaces and gasket prep. Use a fine stone and "stone" all the metal to metal sealing surfaces.....head, top of cylinders, case mating surface, and intake surface. Makes a very tightly sealed motor. Keep the stone well lubricated with WD40 or CRC and make small smooth circles until the metal is finely polished and ultra smooth. Very important! Lastly, use some 1211 on the outer area of the case seals where they sit in the case. Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

PWCToday Regular

What exactly is this fine stone tactic. You mean like smoothing out the mating surface. I ordered new top end gaskets and a new woodruff key from sbt so it may be awhile before I get to post the reassembly but I will eventually.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    What exactly is this fine stone tactic. You mean like smoothing out the mating surface. I ordered new top end gaskets and a new woodruff key from sbt so it may be awhile before I get to post the reassembly but I will eventually.
    have you ever used a wet rock to sharpen a knife. its similar concept you have a very flat stone and it polishes/grinds surface imperfections. you can do similar with a flat sheet of glass and a sheet of fine grit sandpaper and move head in a figure 8 very lightly until completely smooth.

PWCToday Regular

That's what I thought but I didn't want to make any assumptions.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Use a round chainsaw file or something to file those burs off the inside of that flywheel. I like to use a valve lapping compound and smear it on the crank snout. Then without the key, shove the flywheel on there and twist it back and forth, remove re-clock, shove on, twist some more, repeat. This will ensure a "matched" fit between the crank and flywheel to ensure that doesn't happen again. Make sure to clean all the residue from the lapping back off.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Regular

So I ordered the top end gasket kit from sbt didn't expect it to show up a day later I was kind of hoping to drag my feet. Before I got the recommendation on gasket sealer I ordered this will it work instead of what was recommended?IMG_1388.JPG

PWCToday Regular

don't know why its so big its just yamabond 5

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information