Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

96 yamaha 64x engine rebuild attempt. (yamaha 760 wave raider).

I have two 64x or 760s and two 650s or 61 or 62? Anyway I've had a seal go out on one of my 64x had it fixed for $40 in parts and 300 labor. It started up and idled but shortly after started dieseling and now it wont start just misfires. The mechanic said he would look at it but its a two hour drive to him and I aint got time for all that and I'd rather not spend $1000 on a motor that's not worth that so I've decided since I have a few of these to attempt to learn how to work on them myself if I can get a little help from others so hopefully someone on here can help me as I go. Also 800 for a rebuild from sbt is a little steep to since my motor isn't tore up just mis aligned.

I Believe he got the alignment off and it started but eventually sheared the key and now wont start. I've had a similar issue with a briggs a mechanic replaced a piston rod with a wrong one and the timing issue allowed it to idle but it was enough to break the key if you tried to run it up.

I've removed from ski, pulled carbs, reeds, magneto/flywheel cover, and heads. I'm stuck trying to figure out the flywheel removal IMG_1352.JPGIMG_1347.JPG The nut I removed from the end of the flywheel is a 17mm. This flywheel puller I got from ebay is suppost to be universal for jet skis but doesn't seem like its going to work I think I need something different and this is where Im stuck. I believe I need a bolt like the one in the flywheel puller picture that will screw into where the flywheel nut was and then I put a wrench to it and go clockwise and it should come off. If anyone can help with my question or knows a good video or tech manual on this please let me know.

Re: 96 yamaha 64x engine rebuild attempt. (yamaha 760 wave raider).

I don't know if that'll work or not....looks homemade. Get a harmonic balancer puller from the auto parts store. One that has all the puller bolts with it. You'll see three threaded holes on the inner flat area of the balancer. Fit the puller up, and use those three holes to pull it. Use the tapered end in the kit also, to keep from damaging the crank.

PWCToday Regular

It's actually the very same one this website sales linked to sbt but yea I don't see how it would work either. Thanks for the tip.

PWCToday Regular

i ended up using 3 bolts that came out of the engine somewhere, i say somewhere cause my father in law removed engine so i am not sure which bolts it was but screwed them in to the flywheel and then tightened puller bolt really tight and as he was tightening puller with crescent wrench i tapped end with hammer and on 3rd tap the flywheel flew off.

good luck.

PWCToday Regular

thanks I will try it seems Im suppost to rotate the puller clockwise though too? I have a day off tomorrow I will see if I can get it. then it will be one to investigating why my motor was misfiring.

PWCToday Regular

Thanks for the help guys. I went to oreilys they rented me a harmonic balancer kit it was $24 but if you brought it back within 48 hours it was free so I paid nothing. Anyway the flywheel came off real easy and was super simple you just attach the puller and snug the center bolt then a little tap of a hammer and it comes off. For some reason I had it in my head it was screwed on but its the key term is flywheel "Puller" its literally pulled off.

I found the woodruff key sheared but I have no smoking gun for why it sheared which is kind of making me nervous to just replace it and put the motor back together. I have replaced the e box and I will test the magneto stator. I found some info on testing the magneto stator assembly but I need help on the Timing when I put it back together.

Does anyone have any instructions for putting the flywheel back on and setting the timing?

Here are some pics of the harmonic balancer kit and my flywheel. I hope the bur on my flywheel from the key shearing didn't mess anything up.IMG_1366.JPGIMG_1367.JPGIMG_1368.JPG

I find the black ones apply more force as the gold ones flex a decent amount. Alos a 2" metal dowel rod is great to slip in the crank bolt threads and press against that instead of possibly damaging the crank threads.

PWC Sales/Service/Performance Grand Lake,OK
    922 N.3rd St. Langley,OK 74350 918-902-7876

When you reinstall the flywheel, ensure the crank and flywheel are dry with no residue, or anti seize. (I have actually seen anti seize there before). Torque bolt to 51 foot pounds. There is nothing to time on the 760 other than the key. Timing is done in the CDI. If the flywheel were loose, dieseling and running backwards can shear the key. Your core problem may still be an air leak somewhere. A sheared key will cause a misfire.
    Last edited by butterbean_29512; 05-13-2015 at 12:31 PM.

PWCToday Regular

Thanks that helps a lot. Whats best to clean everything with standard degresser?

While I have it apart how does everything else look?

IMG_1341.JPGIMG_1343.JPGIMG_1338.JPGIMG_1344.JPG

I am rebuilding mine this weekend...my first one.. I will be checking in...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information